Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review on GS Motor, B28-35-12 in TRex

(Not sure whether should I post this in Heli Section or RC Electronic Section. Decided to put here because I only test it in Heli)

Recent manage to borrow this motor for testing. This motor is a newer design as compare to those in GS Motor website (www.gsmodels.com or http://www.gsmodels.com/en/productsshow_pbig.php?id=77). This newer has more holes in front and rear end bell. Pinion still remain as 3.17mm.

{Pictures Below}

This motor is about the same size as Mega 3 Turns. Its weight I feels like Align 400L (Because I do not have weighting machine). Its screw mounting is just like Align motor (2 screw holes closer and smaller and 2 bigger and further). This motor should be rated as 3000kv but according to GS website, it rated as 2700kv. There is another motor called AON (http://www.aonelectric.com/ or Part# V2815-300) that has the same design and even the same measurements, internal resistance and idle current but it is rated as 3000kv. Me and Ammo believe both of this motor is the same (Just like JustGoFly distribute MTM of 400DH but rebrand it as JGF).

Tested using:
    TRex Stock configuration (Standard Metal boom), mCCPM,
    HS-55 for cyclics and HS-56 for tail.
    PHX-25 in fixed throttle mode
    E-Tec 1700SHP 3S1P.

(April 1, 2005)
    First test was using ABS Blades. Bench test using 15Pinion but feel that it lack the torque and therefore, motor bog down pretty much when in full pitch.
    Switch to 13Teeth pinion. First flight on it and here is the finding:

Its punch up is much much better than Align 400L 2500kv. RPM feels faster than my Align 400L and that is why its punch up is faster due to better RPM. It lack the torque to Align 400L but that is because this is Inrunner motor whereby Align is OutRunner. Due to torque is lower, it does bog when doing rapid maneuver or high cyclics banging. Good thing about this motor is that its current drawn seems like lower than Align 400L motor. After flying for 5minutes, the battery is barely warm. That could be due to it has much higher turns (12turns compares to 3 turns on Mega)

(April 2, 2005)
    Second test was done using Align stock wooden blades (315mm.. old type). With this motor, its punch up is much better and it does not bog down very obvious like ABS blades. When I use Align 400L motor, i do not even dare to do some simple stunts and doing flips. With this motor and wooden blades, I can do a flips without sweat.

Right now, I set (Period):
    Advantages
    --------------
    1. Same shaft diameter with Align (3.17 or 3.2mm) so can use back pinion
    2. Lower current drawn.
    3. Cooler than Align 400L or Align 400LF
    4. Can fit into TRex without any modification.
    5. Higher RPM than Align 400LF 2800kv.

Disadvantages
    ----------------
    1. Torque is loose out to Align 400L/LF (Not very far apart)
    2. Weight (Only when compare to Align 400LF or lower)

Personal Preference:
    Right now I happy with this motor performance. I wish I have Mega motor to compare. Notice this motor require u to set much higher and more flatter throttle curve in order to perform better.

Next coming test will be in TRex Extended boom with eCCPM using Carbon blades and Wooden 335mm blades. Will try to update this post again after doing more test on it.

Super-Hornet

Keep up the great review... I'd really like to see how this turns out... I really hope can find cheap motor combo.... Do u think there would an increase in total flight time compared to the Align motor?

Comment

I`ve owned several of these motors from the big un´s to the small tots.When compared to the megas and hackers, it falls considerably short in terms of efficiency.A major US dealer has stopped ordering them because of smokin`motors and they lost big time refunding or exchanging the motors for Megas to customers.
      They`re heavier 90plus gms compared to the mega, have lower torque, lower effiency,cobalt magnets and bearings that eventually cause problems.QC is suspect too.The AON supposedly comes with neo magnets and the rotor is removable.The efficiency of that motor is also low compared to the mega.

Comment

I haven't compare the flight time to Align motor yet. Try to do that soon.

I do not have Mega motor to compare so I can't tell which one is better. From the technical looks, it may appears to be drawning lower current (Idle state) than Mega due to it has higher number of turns but it may lack torque compares to mega due to its magnet is smaller than mega.

suxbux... u said it is cobalt magnet.. then what u have is the older one. This one is in Neo magnet. Look closely that is is newer design compare to what u see in the GS Models website.

Super-Hornet

Comment

(April 3, 2005)
          No major changes except changing pitch servo from HS-55 to HS-56.
          Doing some very simple stunt with this motor in front of the Bishan Funfly crowd. Almost crash 2 times but manage to recover.

Manage to see Genesis's Mega motor on that day also. Found out that Mega do has a slightly bigger magnet compare to this GS motor. Notice also that mega motor has its coil coiled onto metal... Just like those stator in Outrunner. With that, Mega motor do have cogging effect when turning the motor.

So, as comparison, Mega motor uses metal to enhance or localized the electromagnetic flux towards the magnet. This (unless i'm wrong in my physics) result in stronger torque but slower motor kv. To increase motor RPM or kv, mega uses lower coil turn but lower coil turn means lower torque. For GS, it is like Himaxx motor but in bigger size. It do not use metal like stator in the coil so therefore, lower torque but higher RPM. To increase torque, GS uses higher number of coil turns.

Didn't have the time do try this motor in eCCPM with Carbon blades yet but I will try to test and then post it here soon.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Don't know about the switch to neo magnets so can't comment on that,but were you told about the change or did you see the rotor?The latest ones that I've stripped still had cobalt magnets. Most motors have a metal core ,GS included.The GS is a 2 pole slotless design.The problem with the motor is the uneven winds and the inconsistent airgap that causes problem and the relative inefficiency.The Mega is a torquey motor due to its design.
            I was very enthusiastic about the motors and did several tests on them versus the others.I was looking for a motor that was inexpensive yet good.However,I must admit that this wasn't the case.
            The QC is questionable and if you're lucky, you might just get a well made one.I had a 10turn hacker B40L equivalent that was the only good motor I had from GS.I have yet to come across a china made motor that is good.Maybe one day!

Comment

From the pictures that you've posted,it looks like the motors I have.The stickers,minor motor variations,colour and wires vary from motor to motor.I guess the produstion staff are a pretty creative people!

Comment

Today I was at Jet Hobby and manage to weight this motor (GS B28-35-12) and also the older type (The one on the GS Models website and the first pictures).

For Old type, the weight is around 92 to 96Grams. For the new one, it is 82 to 86 grams. The older one is 4mm shaft while the newer one is 3.17mm.

This motor is in sales in Jet Hobby. Recently they arrive a lot of various models of GS motors. (For airplane and Heli?)

Tomorrow (April 09, 2005) I should have the chance to test it in Carbon blades.

Super-Hornet

Comment

The ones I had came with 3.17mm shaft.They have 4mm shafts too and 4mm shafts turned down to 3.17mm! Anyway,best of luck to your tests.Its always great to find a good bargain.I managed to source a b/less motor from Taipei for about $50/- with a heatsink case.It has a larger rotor than the Himax and neo magnets.The manufacturer guarantees 120% more power than the Himax or money back.I'm still in hover stage with the T-Wreck so really don't know how good the motor is.The max recorded temp was 75deg.Kv is 3500.
                  If you like to try out the motor let me know.I'm just an interested modeller so I'm not into selling this as a dealer.Thanks

Comment

B/L Motor for T-Rex

Suxbug, where you normally fly your T-Rex?
                    I want to see how your b/l motor perform.

Thanks
                    2.4G

Comment

I normally practise in my garden. That way I don't get to kill,injure or maim anyone except the dogs and plants.Like someone's opinion on the motor. I've compared it to my favourite motor, the Warp4 on my plane and I find the Warp is better by a little bit.Its definitely better than the Himax.

Comment

Working...
                      X