Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tamiya PS or TS series for canopy (nitro)?

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tamiya PS or TS series for canopy (nitro)?

Hello all:

Was thinking of attempting spray my new trex700 canopy..Can I ask which series to us? TS or PS?
    Whiplashing soon?

Crash records counter
    JR Vibe 50: 01
    Trex600N Pro: 01
    Kasama Srimok 90: 01
    TT Raptor 50: 10
    TT Raptor 90 3D: 01
    MA Fury 55: 01

(Latest Crash Dated 29 April 2012) Total: 15

sigpic

The TS paint is meant for Polystrene plastic, (eg: their Plastic models and 4x4 series) the paint is meant as a 'top-cote' i.e: sprayed on top of the plastic.
    It has excellent leveling properties. It will chip off and crack when painted on flexible surfaces

The PS series is meant for Poly Carbonate or Lexan plastic (eg: RC cars bodyshells, some heli canopies) the paint is usually sprayed on the underside of the clear plastic. It has poor leveling properties, ie: if you spray too close or too thick, it will create a very noticable 'run', spray too far way and it will have an 'orange peel skin' effect. It will flex along with the surface when dry.

I would recommend the Tamiya PS series that comes in a Small bottle (Which you'll have to dilute with A20 thinner and shoot from an Airbrush) rather than the usual spray can.
    Give it a final PS Gloss cote which they use for fuel-proofing.

Cheers
    Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Huh? Still got to dilute? I got no air brush. When you say it flex means good or not?

Can't I just spray via the can from Tamiya?
      Whiplashing soon?

Crash records counter

sigpic

Comment

PS Gloss cote? can use the clear coat from those paint shops? or Monocote clear?
        Chuang Yee

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][SIZE="1"]Thunder Tiger G4 Nitro & G4 E720, Goblin 500, 630 & 700, Compass 7HV, JR NEX 50 FBL Nitro, Logo 550SX, Blade 130x, Shuttle Plus 2+, Hirobo SDX thats all [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

So the verdict is to use TS or PS?
          Whiplashing soon?

Crash records counter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TmMugen View Post
            PS.. this is the one that will hold up to nitro... and flexible enough that will not crack..

I've not tried the mixing type.. hmmm... maybe i should try and see how well it hold up to nitro..
            Life is not the amount of breath you take, it's the moment that take your breath away
            Avant Aurora (E1)
            Avant Aurora (E2)
            Mcp X
            GAUI X5

LOGO 550SX

WTS
            JR RS77s 72MHz synthesizer $100
            will give the buyer 2 unit of electron 6 with 72.810 pin free

Comment

Huh? Still got to dilute? I got no air brush. When you say it flex means good or not?

Can't I just spray via the can from Tamiya?
              Use PS (for the glow fuel proofing)

...just spray from the spray can lah ! ...but dun expect works of art like those from bro remotemadness

Comment

Originally posted by chuangyee View Post
                PS Gloss cote? can use the clear coat from those paint shops? or Monocote clear?
                Best you try a little first to see if glow fuel (with Nitro) will attack the clear cote.

Tamiya Gloss cote is rated to resist up to 25% nitro (or something like that).

Comment

Not sure if Tamiya paint are Nitro safe??

For Heli.. There are 15% to 30% Nitro, some paint I think can take about 10%. Hence, anything beyond. The nitro will eat through it.. Some paint cannot even take oil stain, ie, those burned nitro fuel oil stain we have all over our heli..

I've use series of Tamiya paint before, all cannot hold leh.. Hence, have been using a mixed of Nippon Pylox and Monokote fuel proof clear coat to seal the paint..

Comment

hi,

I might be wrong..

but i think It's the clear that need to be fuel proof..

from what i know.. the tamiya PS rattle can spray that's nitro proof is more for car's cover.. and most of this car cover is transparent.. so the paint go inside of the cover, and because it's spray inside.. you don't need to clear coat..(why i know)... I use to use this paint to paint the cover of nitro buggy running on 30% nitro... and it stay quite well of up to 30%..

but for our heli canopy.. It's most of the time carbon fiber... and the paint work go on the outside of canopy.. so we need to clear coat the paint for a gloss finish..( have not found a paint that can be use with airbrush for more detail finish) that's why we need to have a clear coat to protect the paint work... and most importantly Nitro proof....

so if you don't want to have a High gloss finish on your canopy, the tamiya PS paint will have a semigloss finish...

hope I explain this well enough for everybody to understand..

correct me if I'm wrong...

How I wish the (rattle can)Tamiya PS series come with clear coat..

quester
                    Life is not the amount of breath you take, it's the moment that take your breath away
                    Avant Aurora (E1)
                    Avant Aurora (E2)
                    Mcp X
                    GAUI X5

LOGO 550SX

WTS

Comment

Not work of art - child kind of work

Ok....here is what I use to do and am doing now with my 3DMP.
                      Note it is definately not work of art like remotemadness.

Sand it
                      clean it
                      Spray it with Tamiya small bottle stuff from rotor
                      spray a couple of layer of nippon clear code

And the surface looks great and also strenghten the canopy in my case.So yes it will make it heavier a bit, but for my 3DMP the canopy is very thin so works out well.

Jonathan

Comment

Hi jon,

Is the Nipon clear Nitro safe...have not tried this.. I have tried the other brand DPI anchor, and its not nitro safe... over time the surface will get a bit tacky...

quest

Originally posted by JYHELI View Post
                        Ok....here is what I use to do and am doing now with my 3DMP.
                        Note it is definately not work of art like remotemadness.

Sand it
                        clean it
                        Spray it with Tamiya small bottle stuff from rotor
                        spray a couple of layer of nippon clear code

And the surface looks great and also strenghten the canopy in my case.So yes it will make it heavier a bit, but for my 3DMP the canopy is very thin so works out well.

Jonathan
                        Avant Aurora (E1)
                        Avant Aurora (E2)
                        Mcp X
                        GAUI X5

LOGO 550SX

WTS

Comment

Those Nippon spray paint are not nitro safe.. will turn to sticky mess on contact with fuel..

Comment

Originally posted by remotemadness View Post
                            have not found a paint that can be use with airbrush for more detail finish
                            Have you been to BK's Track/shop ? ...he's got a range of air-brush paint (comes in a bottle) that is meant for the task. ..i.e: Air brush painting of Nitro RC car bodies.

You should try those !

Comment

nitro

oh yup....I am off topic talking about mine that is not nitro.
                              By the way this is what I use : http://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/products/pylox.asp

Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X