Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to check bend shaft

Hi,

had a small crash with my mini titan yesterday. i was too engrossed on hovering the heli but made the mistake of not checking the wind direction, it was actually coming from the side. the moment the heli took off it drifted left quickly and i lost control.

Anyway, broke one mixing lever. I took off my blades and want to check whether the main/feathering shaft is bend. I don't see much vibration when i spool it up without the blades. Can someone please advice on a way to check for bend main shaft?

Originally posted by quantruu View Post
    Hi,

had a small crash with my mini titan yesterday. i was too engrossed on hovering the heli but made the mistake of not checking the wind direction, it was actually coming from the side. the moment the heli took off it drifted left quickly and i lost control.

Anyway, broke one mixing lever. I took off my blades and want to check whether the main/feathering shaft is bend. I don't see much vibration when i spool it up without the blades. Can someone please advice on a way to check for bend main shaft?
    roll the main shaft on a glass table top, u should be able to see clearly for any 'wobbliness' if there is any

Comment

or if lazy to take out everything;

main shaft; remove the head, hand spin the tail rotor n watch for any bend in the main shaft.

feathering shaft; remove one of the main blades, using ur usual tool, spin the shaft inside the grip n watch the other blade, if there's a pitch change, confirm need replacement. if none, test the other side.

hope it helps, thanks...
      Current BlinkĀ²:
      Trex-600N: TTRL53H/H#523/CarbSmart/CYATGv3-Gview/JR770T
      Beam-E4: SC-8/13T/SC-55A/LT2100T

History BlinkĀ²:
      Belt-CP
      Walkera-#60

"Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory."
      Nate Waddoups

Comment

thanks for the tips.
        after removing the head, instead of hand rotating the tail rotor i can just spool up the heli to watch for any bend right?

Comment

Yes u can use motor to spin up to check. But spin it in very low RPM. Too fast and u will not see it wobble.

SH

Comment

thanks for the tips

Comment

Same as you, I am usually lazy to remove main shaft to check.
              Nowadays, I remove the head+washout+swash. (just the one jesus bolt to undo, and 3 ball links to snap off).
              Then run the motor, and hold a screw tip just touching the spinning shaft near the top. Hold it steady by bracing against the heli body.
              This method detects bends good enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by kaon View Post
                hold a screw tip just touching the spinning shaft near the top.
                I mean a screwdriver or similar tool, just as a pointer.
                (still annoyed that this forum doesn't allow edits)

Comment

Originally posted by kaon View Post
                  I mean a screwdriver or similar tool, just as a pointer.
                  (still annoyed that this forum doesn't allow edits)
                  I think the Admin mentioned that you can do so in the first 15 mins of posting.
                  Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Working...
                  X