Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-starter needs help

I consider myself is a newbie, just 4 months old in RC.Take off should be no problem, but landing like "ka na sai".
    I have a GWS E-starter. Originally come with brushed motor, but now I feel hard to take off and the power is drop a lot compare to new.
    What should I do?
    Buy a new brushed motor or convert it to brushless?
    If convert to brushless, then what motor, ESC & prop size are the perfect match of my plane???
    Actually I don't want to waste $$ on this foamie, but this is my 1st plane & it was bought by my wife, it is very meaningful. Throw away or give people?? one more murder case on news paper, wife sure kill me
    Be frank with you, I don't know how calculate to get a correct motor & prop size. Anybody have the formula of calculation?

wrong section, should b in the Airplanes section :P http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6
    Current Blink²:
    Trex-600N: TTRL53H/H#523/CarbSmart/CYATGv3-Gview/JR770T
    Beam-E4: SC-8/13T/SC-55A/LT2100T

History Blink²:
    Belt-CP
    Walkera-#60

"Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory."
    Nate Waddoups

Comment

Really should be in the airplane section. Hope a moderator moves it soon for you.

In the mean time i can maybe help to explain a few things. The problem with standard brushed motors is hardly anybody takes time to run them in anymore. The brushes when fitted in the factory are usually square but in contact with a round surface. Gradually the "wear" in and adopt the same round shape as the rotor. Problem is that if you ( most people do) use the motors 100% from the start the brushes and collector ( on the rotor) can become glazed and this is bad news for the effeciency of the motor and can lead to the kind of circumstances you are talking about. Before the arrival of affordable brushless motors we used to run the motors in a glass of distilled water for 10 min under varying throttle settings to help wear the brushes in. You could actually see the water change colour as this wear process took place. Then we'd take them out and use a hair dryer on them to get rid of the water and spray them with WD40. This way the motors lasted longer with better performance.

You won't be wasting money on a brushless set up. Because when you feel you are ready you can move the brushless setup over to a new plane.
      With this in mind you might want to aim for a setup up thats suitable for ( for example ) a Formosa II but can still work in your E starter for the moment.

To help you most brushless manufacturers list the recommend prop sizes with their motors. They also show the Amp rating to help you choose the correct ESC.

If i were you i'd look for a combo package from the local suppliers. This will save you dollars .

Here's an example ( i have no preference for any supplier or shop and am just using this as an example)

I'm sure if you went to any of the reputable shops and said "look guys I need a brushless setup for an Estarter and i will want to upgrade the plane later keeping the brushless setup" They'd be more than happy to show you the options

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by bigfilsing View Post
        Really should be in the airplane section. Hope a moderator moves it soon for you.

In the mean time i can maybe help to explain a few things. The problem with standard brushed motors is hardly anybody takes time to run them in anymore. The brushes when fitted in the factory are usually square but in contact with a round surface. Gradually the "wear" in and adopt the same round shape as the rotor. Problem is that if you ( most people do) use the motors 100% from the start the brushes and collector ( on the rotor) can become glazed and this is bad news for the effeciency of the motor and can lead to the kind of circumstances you are talking about. Before the arrival of affordable brushless motors we used to run the motors in a glass of distilled water for 10 min under varying throttle settings to help wear the brushes in. You could actually see the water change colour as this wear process took place. Then we'd take them out and use a hair dryer on them to get rid of the water and spray them with WD40. This way the motors lasted longer with better performance.

You won't be wasting money on a brushless set up. Because when you feel you are ready you can move the brushless setup over to a new plane.
        With this in mind you might want to aim for a setup up thats suitable for ( for example ) a Formosa II but can still work in your E starter for the moment.

To help you most brushless manufacturers list the recommend prop sizes with their motors. They also show the Amp rating to help you choose the correct ESC.

If i were you i'd look for a combo package from the local suppliers. This will save you dollars .

Here's an example ( i have no preference for any supplier or shop and am just using this as an example)

I'm sure if you went to any of the reputable shops and said "look guys I need a brushless setup for an Estarter and i will want to upgrade the plane later keeping the brushless setup" They'd be more than happy to show you the options

Good luck
        Cool i dint know u need to run in brushless motors!!!
        «Kira'sHanger™®»:
        HK450MT ( awaiting elecs)

Comment

I would say keep the brushed motor and continue flying it. I'm assuming you're on 2S lipos on stock brushed setup and 10" props. 10x8 or 10x4.7 props are pretty suitable for the E-starter and I flew it till my E-starter no longer looks like a plane. I liked the 10x8 props particularly because it allows the plane to go really fast and pull off when I needed it to, but still allowed it to fly really slow and nice and <30% throttle.

I tried on a brushless setup that required 3S batteries and never quite liked it. The flight time never improved much anyway cos on the smaller props I used with brushless motors I had to keep my throttle up more often.

I could loan you my Esky brushless motor and an ESC which I still keep till today if you want to try it... and get a feel for yourself.

Unfortunately I gave my e-starter kit away.

The E-starter is a very nice plane to fly. Keep it light and simple. It will fly very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by kiratime View Post
            Cool i dint know u need to run in brushless motors!!!

Brushed motors can be run in NOT brushless. Dont be putting your brushless motor in distilled water !!!!!!! Unless you want the magic smoke to come out of the ESC/motor

Comment

Originally posted by bigfilsing View Post
              Brushed motors can be run in NOT brushless. Dont be putting your brushless motor in distilled water !!!!!!! Unless you want the magic smoke to come out of the ESC/motor
              ah.......say wrong
              «Kira'sHanger™®»:
              HK450MT ( awaiting elecs)

Comment

Originally posted by detach8 View Post
                I would say keep the brushed motor and continue flying it. I'm assuming you're on 2S lipos on stock brushed setup and 10" props. 10x8 or 10x4.7 props are pretty suitable for the E-starter and I flew it till my E-starter no longer looks like a plane. I liked the 10x8 props particularly because it allows the plane to go really fast and pull off when I needed it to, but still allowed it to fly really slow and nice and <30% throttle.

I tried on a brushless setup that required 3S batteries and never quite liked it. The flight time never improved much anyway cos on the smaller props I used with brushless motors I had to keep my throttle up more often.

I could loan you my Esky brushless motor and an ESC which I still keep till today if you want to try it... and get a feel for yourself.

Unfortunately I gave my e-starter kit away.

The E-starter is a very nice plane to fly. Keep it light and simple. It will fly very nice.
                Completely agree the E starter is great to learn on . Fly it till the wings fall off and then just glue em back on and off you go

Comment

E-starter needs help

thanks very much to all Sifus for giving me a lot of comments. Actually my E-started already not like plane . There is a lot of epoxy & tape on it.
                  U know la, 1st plane of beginneer sure like that one mah I will keep on using the brushed motor until totally can't take off then decise want to convert to brushless or not.
                  Be frank with all of you, I also have 1 MTitan, now learning figgure 8.
                  Some time don't know myself problem or other peoples also have the same feeling. Everytime after I fly plane, then go to heli, my mind will confuse and even sometime my heli crash due to my own mistake

Comment

show me an Estarter with no damge at all and i'll show you a plane thats never been flown

Comment

In fact here's a picture of mine being rescued from Marina Bay by the idiot friend of mine that put it in there

Comment

Working...
                      X