Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini-T flight time - anything wrong?

Hi, need some advice or experience sharing because not sure if my problem is a problem.

I have 3 packs of TP eXtreme 2070 mAH 25C that can fly on my TREX SE V1 for 7+ mins (and still have capacity left to fly some more but I usually stop at 7.5 min max) but on my Mini-T, can only fly for 5 min (then the ESC goes into lipo protection mode and reduce power). My flying very simple - just hovering and sport - no 3D.

AFter flying on the Mini-T, the charger typically puts back only about 1100 mAH into the lipo!

Can anyone tell me if this is normal with the Mini-T?

I bought a scale fuse for the Mini-T but I guess if I put on the fuse, the weight will make the flight time even worst - sure less than 5 mins

My Mini-T configuration:
    - Stock body but with full metal head and tail
    - Scorpion Motor HK-2221-8 motor with 12T
    - Jeti Spin 44 ESC (set to 49% on governor mode - about 2500 rpm HS)

If your motors and ESCs on your Trex and MT are different, then the consumption will be different as well. Using different main blades will affect too, especially if you're using the stock MT blades which are not very energy efficient.

Best is to borrow a Eagletree data logger and compare the consumption objectively.

Comment

did u check the cutoff for esc, make sure it is set to low.
      For sale

trex 700/ 12mm main shaft swash leveller. carbon type $22 only new

Comment

mini t will have shorter flight time than trex - that's normal because it's a generally larger / heavier heli. the 2221-8 is also a whacky motor to start with!

Comment

I think problem of Mini-Titan is not from weight mostly... it is more from the ESC+Motor combination usage.

SH

Comment

Originally posted by Nosein

My Mini-T configuration:
            - Stock body but with full metal head and tail
            - Scorpion Motor HK-2221-8 motor with 12T
            - Jeti Spin 44 ESC (set to 49% on governor mode - about 2500 rpm HS)
            whats the setup on the T-rex SE V1 ?
            Helis
            Logo 500 3D

Once upon a time , there were frequency pins , flybars and nitros...

Comment

Thanks

Hello all, thanks very much. Still need some more help and advice.

I am using CF 325 mm blades for my Mini-T. For my TREX SE V1, I am still using the original Align ESC and Align motor so not much to set up.

This morning, I adjusted the Jeti ESC on my MT from 15 degrees to 10 degrees timing and also have set the lipo threshold from 3.1V to 3.0V.

The flight time seem slightly better by about 30 seconds only

I think you guys must be right about the motor. I already bought the MD500 fuse to fix for the MT. If I were to change to a "lighter" motor, can you recommend a motor suitable for long flight time since I am only doing scale? No need to change ESC right?

thanks again.

Comment

Just a question, if u set Gov mode at 49% wont it be efficient? I read somewhere that Gov mode works best at 75% and if u cant get that desired headspeed at 75%, u need to change the pinion.. Could that be the case? Just asking only because im not really sure myself..
                AR Drone 2.0
                Walkera Ladybird Micro Quad
                Jr XG8 Tx (Mode 1)
                RG831B Rx

sigpic

Comment

Use JGF450TH as a reference. U can get any clone of that type also can. (like MTM450TH, Some united hobby 450TH and so on)

SH

Comment

Hi John_3330 - I also not sure but I think the 75% throttle thingy is when governor is not used. Under governor mode, I am under the impression that the % have no specific meaning - but I am just repeating what I heard/read

Hi SH, thanks. Looks like will get the JGF450TH to try when the LHS open next week. Thought of putting back the original MT stock motor for tomorrow flying Is this a bad idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Nosein
                      Hi John_3330 - I also not sure but I think the 75% throttle thingy is when governor is not used. Under governor mode, I am under the impression that the % have no specific meaning - but I am just repeating what I heard/read

Hi SH, thanks. Looks like will get the JGF450TH to try when the LHS open next week. Thought of putting back the original MT stock motor for tomorrow flying Is this a bad idea?
                      yup u r right, in gov, the tached hs to match 75%(norm) 85%(idle) is all that matters
                      For sale

Comment

I think your 5min is a bit low, should be able to get 1~2min more.

I have about the setup as yours,
                        MT
                        Jeti spin 44
                        2221-8
                        13T
                        CF blade 325

and my flight time is 5min with 3D flying and still left about 3.75~3.8V/cell.

I can't remember my actual HS but I guess is 3100~3300rpm.

You may not need to lock at 49%.
                        Suggest you try to choose the 3D constant in the Jeti and set the throttle curve flat at 75%, timing 10 deg should be fine.

Comment

Hi BLee,

Thanks. I checked. I am using a 11T pinion. My Jeti is already on "3D Constant". Just wondering if my pinion is too small and make the motor runs faster to achieve the headspeed and this is causing high current drain.

I was thinking that with smaller pinion, the motor don't have to work too hard and will be better for current consumption.

I will go back to the original 13T pinion and give it a try this weekend and see what happen. Many thanks.

Comment

smaller pinion shld equal longer flight time
                            For sale

Comment

Even when everyone have the same set up, it also depends on how hard you bang the sticks as well Each person's stick banging style differs, which will result in different run time

Comment

Working...
                              X