X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OS91 sz ps shimming tuning question

Hi guys,

for those who know or own this engine.

I am currently running 0.02 shims (2x0.008+1x0.004) with CP 30% on 8.27 gearing vblades. I set the governor (GV1) to 1930 to arrive slightly below 16000 rpm so that when the heli bogs, it should fall into the 15k plus range where OS has the powerband. Needle settings right now is 1.75 turn high and 3 clicks open in middle.

Issue:
    Power is great at this range, with +/-3 clicks of adjustment in the first flight for high needle, I will usually get the power I want without further adjustment. Tic toc for example will be very tight and fast without much bogging. However, with a check on the governor later, the max rpm registered only 1860. I leaned out the engine by 1 click and it increases the rpm to 1880. Am I still rich or what, backplate temp seems to be about that already, warmhot and able to place finger there indefinitely.

Background:
    I was previously on defualt shimming and after numerous warned me about preignition with use with 30%, I decided to correct it. Also heard that I am not getting the full potential of the engine with the default shim as not much leaning is achievable before the engine gets too hot. So on the previous setup of 8.08 gearing and default shim, the engine would overspeed from rich settings even achieving slightly over 2000 rpm when governor is off. Needle settings are very different though, 2.5 turn on high with mid closed.

Can anyone with experience on this engine tell me their shimming, needle settings and max rpm they can achieve etc?
    Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Ed...I was on the same shim...

middle needle 5 clicks from close...high needle one round minus 4 clicks from close....

awesome power

but...a lot depends on collective management....not pumping it..
    TREX 500 ESP
    Futaba T12FGH

Comment

Originally posted by Art
      Ed...I was on the same shim...

middle needle 5 clicks from close...high needle one round minus 4 clicks from close....

awesome power

but...a lot depends on collective management....not pumping it..

Hmmmmm, ok maybe a bit more leaning to go lol. Thanks Art.

Art, you have a heli now or what, saw you sceadu up for sale not long ago. What is next lol? Fly together soon man.
      Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

secret~

TREX 500 ESP
        Futaba T12FGH

Comment

Working...
        X