Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heli newbie here ;)

Dear all, i just got the heli fever. Luking around in here for the past week. Reading up everyday to know more about heli before i start. I'm staying in YIshun and will pop by to join the funfly one of these days and hope that i can meet more experts who are willing to share so that we can fly together. Been reading for the couple of days, there are lots of short terms which i don't really understand, but hopefully i can slowly pick them up. For a start, may i know which heli is more recommended for beginners? I have seen bros here recommending king2 and hb fp which i do not know what it stands for(thou my fav heli for now seems to be the belt cp carbon edition). Below is a list of questions, hoping some bros here can help me on:

1) Does the kit come with transmitter for beginner heli or do i have to buy separately?
    2) Average price for beginner heli, just the kit.
    3) Average price for transmitter.
    4) Which hobby shop is highly recommended for me to visit. (one-stop kind)
    5) Where/How do i get to use simulator for practising.

I believe this new hobby will last me for quite long and definitely planning to upgrade to better heli when i'm more stable handling a beginner heli. Hope bros here can guide me through and looking forward to meet up everyone here. Cheers

Originally posted by ATMOS
    Dear all, i just got the heli fever. Luking around in here for the past week. Reading up everyday to know more about heli before i start. I'm staying in YIshun and will pop by to join the funfly one of these days and hope that i can meet more experts who are willing to share so that we can fly together. Been reading for the couple of days, there are lots of short terms which i don't really understand, but hopefully i can slowly pick them up. For a start, may i know which heli is more recommended for beginners? I have seen bros here recommending king2 and hb fp which i do not know what it stands for(thou my fav heli for now seems to be the belt cp carbon edition). Below is a list of questions, hoping some bros here can help me on:

1) Does the kit come with transmitter for beginner heli or do i have to buy separately?

I believe this new hobby will last me for quite long and definitely planning to upgrade to better heli when i'm more stable handling a beginner heli. Hope bros here can guide me through and looking forward to meet up everyone here. Cheers
    Hi,

For beginner, I recommend you to go for Mini-Titan. Stable and easy to fly. This is just my opinion. You can ask around before you decide what is best for you.

Kit itself do not include all the electronics. In the end of the day, the cost of electronics may end up 2 to 3 times more expensive than the kit. However it depend what type of electronics are you getting. Kit alone can range between $280 to $450, depend on which model you are getting.

For transmitter, cheapest is about $220, excluding receiver. Most expensive receiver can cost over $1300. It also depend if you want to go for 2.4 or not. The price of the receiver is different as well.

Go and click on the side of the main page and you can see some of the popular hobby shops. Ask around those senior flyers near your area and they should be able to advice you before you make any committment. This goes the same for the simulation software for you to practise on your PC.

If you have a budget in your mind, work towards it. If you intend to have the best out of the best, then you will have to pay higher price.

If you intend to try out this hobby, then I would recommend you to go for a normal package first. You can upgrade later if you have decided to purse this hobby further once you are "hooked" into it.
    Raptor 50 Titan
    Full Kasama Head and tail upgrade
    Futaba GY502
    Align 2 in 1 regulator
    MP5
    RevMax Governor
    Futaba S9254 digital servo

Mini Titan
    Full metal head and tail upgrade
    Jeti 44 ESC
    Carbon rotor and tail blade
    Hitec 65HB x 3
    Futaba S9257
    Futaba GY401

Walkera HM 60B
    Carbon rotor and tail blade
    Full metal head and tail upgrade
    3D capable

Walkera 4#3B
    2.4GHz TX
    Flying in my room during rainning days

Walkera HM 5-4
    Mini Park Flyer
    JR PCM 9X II

Comment

Depends on which heli u buying.

Same as above

Depends on how many channels you want.

For helis, try Rotor Hobby and Singapore Hobby Supplies. Go n checkout 1st, dont buy anything. Anyone ask, say just browsing only.

Cheapest is the free FMS, available for d/l. Google it.

Comment

If u are a Linux or MacOS user, there do exist Freeware Simulator also. I can't remember the name but if u search google, u should find some.

Buying TX (Transmitter) is like buying computer or computer graphics card (if u into computer). The more higher end, the more expensive it go.

SH

Comment

Thank you all, i will go check it out. Btw isn't mini titan not recommended for beginners?

Comment

Thank you all, i will go check it out. Btw isn't mini titan not recommended for beginners?
            Each of us have our own ideal beginner heli. There is no right or wrong. Its just a matter of cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianli
              Each of us have our own ideal beginner heli. There is no right or wrong. Its just a matter of cost.
              Currently my ideal is this belt CP carbon edition but seems that its too expensive for beginner to crash with, so i'm quite stucked at which heli to begin with

Comment

The bigger the heli, the more stable it is and therefore beginners will find it easier to learn. But bigger heli also have complex stuff to deal wif b4 getting it airborne.

Stick to the 4ch or coaxial to start wif, more economical. until u can hover on a spot for the whole batt pack(ard 5mins), then consider to move on. Thatz where I started from.

Comment

Some would argue that (FP) fixed pitch is better for beginners because it can handle beating (which sure would happen for beginners) well. But FP tend to be more unstable then other type of heli. It is cheaper though.

Some would argue that Fixed Pitch Coaxial heli is better for beginners because it is the most stable of all. But some would argue that FP Coaxial will not teach the beginners because it is too stable.

Some would argue that CP (Collective Pitch, like TRex450 or Mini-Titan or Belt CP) is better for beginners because it is more stable than FP but it will not handle beating as good as FP and u have more parts to calibrate. Further it is more expensive than FP.

Some would argue that bigger heli is better for beginners because it is more stable (normally the bigger the heli, the more stable it goes) but bigger heli would mean more expensive and parts (or misc) are more expensive than smaller heli. Furthermore, beginner might get intimidate by bigger size heli.

So I think we all can agree that it all voice down to the price u can afford to pay and which one has better parts support. (U don't want to have heli down and u waited for days for parts to arrive). Sometime, it is good to go with the flow also.

SH

Comment

Bro.. I think you should not base your decision on if the heli is too expensive to crash or not.

Parts for Honey Bee is cheap. Hence, cheaper to repair, but not a joy to fly. Hence, very unstable at the beginning, and also unless you spend time trimming it, it'll continue to fly unstable, and also due to it's smaller size and light weight. these heli does not like wind.

Parts for Mini-T are cheaper then Trex in some ways, but more expensive then Honey Bee. But it's a good heli. It can fly like a butterfly, and can also sting like a bee.

You need to weigh your wants. Like, do you want to spend time learning to fly the heli or meddle with one. as with a Mini-T. Your focus is on learning to fly. But with the Honey Bee. You'll start out feeling confuse if it's you or that the heli can't fly.

BTW. Belt CP flies like the Honey Bee..

Currently my ideal is this belt CP carbon edition but seems that its too expensive for beginner to crash with, so i'm quite stucked at which heli to begin with

Comment

Originally posted by tucfaz
                      Bro.. I think you should not base your decision on if the heli is too expensive to crash or not.

Parts for Honey Bee is cheap. Hence, cheaper to repair, but not a joy to fly. Hence, very unstable at the beginning, and also unless you spend time trimming it, it'll continue to fly unstable, and also due to it's smaller size and light weight. these heli does not like wind.

Parts for Mini-T are cheaper then Trex in some ways, but more expensive then Honey Bee. But it's a good heli. It can fly like a butterfly, and can also sting like a bee.

You need to weigh your wants. Like, do you want to spend time learning to fly the heli or meddle with one. as with a Mini-T. Your focus is on learning to fly. But with the Honey Bee. You'll start out feeling confuse if it's you or that the heli can't fly.

BTW. Belt CP flies like the Honey Bee..
                      so meaning if my budget allows, i should invest in a Belt CP? hehe

Comment

Eh.. Belt CP not really a joy to fly out of box bro..

so meaning if my budget allows, i should invest in a Belt CP? hehe

Comment

Originally posted by tucfaz
                          Eh.. Belt CP not really a joy to fly out of box bro..
                          Oops, okok, cos my heart more to belt CP, but don't know how it really performs. So i guess, more people feeling for mini titan?

Comment

yupp. a mini titan will do just fine. but if got budget get nitro like raptor 30

i also highly recommend a decent simulator as it will save your pockets.

happy flying!

Danny.
                            Kedi AH !

Comment

Dude. The belt CP can fly lah. But just don't expect it to start stinging right out of box. You just need lot's of patience and time to configure and trim it right to make it fly well, and especially with the kind of transmitter that comes with the belt, that is if you've got one of those bundled deal down town. Then I guess you'll more likely spend 3.5 hours meddling with the heli out of the 4 hours you spend at a fun fly.. with the .5 hour spend. Lift up.. Down.. Back to table. Lift up. Down and back to table again But after a few twick here and there. It will fly.. Depend on you again.. I've seen some people dumping it for other heli after going through the up/down/table sequence a few times..

I don't know, but if you ask me. I'll say get a Mini-T. Less stressful.. Better still, Get a Raptor

Oops, okok, cos my heart more to belt CP, but don't know how it really performs. So i guess, more people feeling for mini titan?

Comment

Working...
                              X