Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurricane 550EP with A123 Pack

Hi,

I am looking for more information on Hurricane 550 with A123 Pack. I know some flyers are having this config, care to share your setup (motor, pinion, gears, ESC, number of A123 cells & flying style)?

Information that I found:
    After so many years, I am still a beginner

I believe Victor was flying with 6s the other time, check with him.
    Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Ah Tan and me are flying on 8s now, before that we were using 7s - abit underpower, my flight on Sunday which you saw was running on 8s, plenty of power but flight time was only 4 min, two reason - over gear and battery was not fully charge because my ESC is limit to 26V, so cannot full charge the battery in order to prevent activation of the ESC over voltage protection.
      I have yet to find the right gear ratio as currently I am using a 40t traxas car gear in front and Swift 12t pinon gear (1 mm pitch) to handle the insane TT1100kv motor power swinging a 550mm funkey blade.
      sigpic

Comment

b25,
        Are you using the stock airframe with that setup?

Comment

Yeah flying on stock mainframe, so powerful that I melted the dean connector after 2nd flight but luckily I had landed my heli The torque is tremendous and can match my minititan liao. It will be perfect if we can find a 11T pinion gear

Comment

Ai ya..... so 7s a bit low & 8s too powerful...

but this finity-hobby recommend 7s with their stated setup..... I almost want to buy 7s liao.... now better think again

Yeah...when I saw b25 flew using 8s.. my first thought (looking from far) was it must be a Trex500 but later than realized its Hurricane 550....he really surprised me how power & good Hurricane 550 can fly....

now very motivated to power up mine.....

Comment

b25,

what esc do you use with that?

Comment

Originally posted by MicroHeli-Nut
                b25,

what esc do you use with that?
                I am using the Hextronic 80 amp from hobbycity.
                sigpic

Comment

Tested out 8S1P A123 battery on my Hurricane 550.

Having the following configuration, heli is not setup for high headspeed. I changed the gear (the gear after the motor pinion) from 42T to 61T to lower the headspeed. Wanted to try at lower headspeed.

Overall, felt heli is heavy but power seems equivalent or a little better than my 2x 3s Polyquest 2500mah lipo in series. I put 4s A123 on top & bottom of battery holder, so head was much heavier than the tail. For testing purpose, I added few weights on the tail to make it balance. Stock canopy fitted nicely. Hover around for few mins. Given the added weight, heli still able to hover as good as my lipo.

Result looks promising so will try different setup. Thinking of changing the tail to metal casing & metal parts. I think the A123 tube size may be able to fit into the lower frame. So, if I can fit 2x A123 into the frame than this will help in balancing.

I only did one test flight so can't really conclude much. The main motivation factor is the much longer life span of A123. I read A123 can last 3 to 5 times more than lipo.

My setup:
                  Battery: 2x 4s A123 connected in series.
                  Motor: Z30 1100KV with 15T pinion
                  ESC: CC85HV
                  First Gear after pinion: 61T
                  Main Gear: 61T
                  Main Blades: 550mm TT Wooden

Comment

I have tried 61 / 16t on saturday, good enough for simple 3d move, manage to get 4.5 min of flight time. I think a 17t will be the best choice for this setup, but our hobbyshop don't carry any.

Originally posted by Bee_Flower
                    Tested out 8S1P A123 battery on my Hurricane 550.

Having the following configuration, heli is not setup for high headspeed. I changed the gear (the gear after the motor pinion) from 42T to 61T to lower the headspeed. Wanted to try at lower headspeed.

Overall, felt heli is heavy but power seems equivalent or a little better than my 2x 3s Polyquest 2500mah lipo in series. I put 4s A123 on top & bottom of battery holder, so head was much heavier than the tail. For testing purpose, I added few weights on the tail to make it balance. Stock canopy fitted nicely. Hover around for few mins. Given the added weight, heli still able to hover as good as my lipo.

Result looks promising so will try different setup. Thinking of changing the tail to metal casing & metal parts. I think the A123 tube size may be able to fit into the lower frame. So, if I can fit 2x A123 into the frame than this will help in balancing.

I only did one test flight so can't really conclude much. The main motivation factor is the much longer life span of A123. I read A123 can last 3 to 5 times more than lipo.

My setup:
                    sigpic

Comment

Finally settle down with my Hurricane 550 setup.

I use 8s A123 (2x 4s in series) , 4s on top battery holder & 4s below (2s slot inside the lower frame and 2s under battery holder). This battery arrangement balance very well so no need to add extra weight on the tail.

This setup can do mild 3D easily.

My setup:

Comment

Working...
                      X