Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How tough is Hornet II??

Just wanna share my experience on the crash worthiness of this little creature....monday i was having my first figure 8 flying and at one point the birdie was coming straight at me, i dived away and bang, it went straight on the grass field... lg came off and two cracks on one main blade. Carried on flying into my second packs and again, had a heavy side in crash and this time the cracked blade broke into halve. Blade pitch's ball link was snapped off too..

Cost of H1 main blades = $49
    Cost of blade grip = $20
    Cost of getting it up the next day = priceless

Just this afternoon, went flying with Fit again at Farmway, tried figure 8 again, had too much aileron and BANGED and i mean BANGED onto the grass field again... both me and FIt's hearts got stuck in our throats.... major repair i thought...even a new bird maybe...but upon inspection, main pinion stripped off, lg dropped off again (glued back), one of the 2-day old H1 blade was cracked to the extent that it could bend. My beautiful canopy cracked, but could be reused after trimming off... a little ugly but definitely usable.

Cost of repair H1 blade = super glue ($0.50 ?)
    Cost of changing the main motor pinion = $5
    Cost of getting it up on the same day = PRICELESS

I used to be skeptical of the Hornet's tail and the overall durability of it. But after owning one and seeing David's terrible crash I'm relieved to know it is as durable as the Feda is

The crash wasn't a soft one... it came in at very high speed in a nose down, knife edged attitude from around 10-12 m up and smacked down into hard dried clay ground! No grass on that patch.... it was hard dried clay.........

When I saw it coming down, I was like oh no sure the heli is totaled...... the motor was still running as David was probably too shock and didn't realise that the throttle was still up.

But surprise surprise, the only damaged parts are the one blade, a stripped pinion and shattered canopy. The LG was a snap on thing so that doesn't count as damage. Man I kept telling David how little damage there was considering the severity of the impact.
    I was expecting a broken tail boom, LG, bent main shaft, broken pieces of blades and broken head parts. But nadah! Even the blade was in one piece

Heck even the Feda would have broken the frame or blades in such a crash. A bigger bird would have meant at least a hundred dollars worth of repair. Thank god it was a micro!
    Seriously I'm still shocked and awed by the Hornet's durability! So glad to know

The Hornet Lives to fly once more David, time to go outdoors again and nail that figure 8! At least with the repaired blades won't be too sayang to take risks Once everything is right can get a new canopy liao and fly in style
    -Feda Dragonfly
    -Hornet 2
    -Pilot OK Turmeric
    -Zoom Zoom 4D
    -Sceadu EVO 50: OS50, Hatori521, Revmax,
    -Hornet X3D
    -Hornet X3D (yet to setup!)
    -Formosa 1
    -World Models Spot On 50
    -HB King 2
    -World Models Groovy 50 F3A
    -RICCS F18 EDF

Controlled by 9CHP
    (Temasek Poly AMIG)

Comment

Seems when u bcome a hornet rep?

Yeah David msg me....tell me he suffered a terrible crash....On hearing the "crash description" I estimated total loss.... but another msg came hrs later....he claimed he is flying again.....

2 possibility - Either he exaggerated the crash or the hornet is pretty hardy ....not what we had thot.....

Mike

Comment

Hello Mike, I din not exaggerated lah... got first hand account from Fit u know

At least now i dare to try again, knowing it should survive crashes. BUt having said that, i think it all depends largely on the way it falls too... Remember Glenn's feda when we flew outdoors... it was only like less than 1 metres when it crashed, but the damages was large...motor, battery......

Guess heli God is watching over me

Comment

Err... how come my status is Junior member only.... I should be Senior member leh... hehe.... just joking...is it tagged to numbers of thread posted??

Comment

Hee.. realized the last post made me a Member now...so it is tagged to number of posts....

Another question, how come we cannot edit our own posts now??

Comment

erm..david...some people posted in market place..created some hoo has...and then deleted all posts...that's a very childish act...and the newer guys here will not benefit from the deleted posts...some info may be lost..and then they'll have to ask questions again...thus mike disabled the function...some guys here will stil be able to edit and help moderate the forum though

TREX 500 ESP
              Futaba T12FGH

Comment

Dave , pls check your blade bolts, mattjish and the rest have reported that the blade bolts might be bent in heavy crashes and cause tracking issues.... Best ya replace them.

If only the LHS supporting Hornet stock parts like rotor....... wah,... confirm convert a lot of pple into the hive one...

Comment

I totally agree the parts support for hornet by hobbyshack is no way near or on par compare to raptor parts by rotor. Maybe we just need TT to come out w a Micro CP

Under the bo pian act.....no fish prawn also can ....

Mike

Comment

Ray, thanks for the advise....
                    flown it last night and blades are tracking well....

Mike, stop daydreaming abt TT coming out with Micro

Comment

Gentlemen,

just a headsup on the current b right side of electrics:

AXIs are the best motor choice as outrunners in the Hornets currently and they are available locally!

Next: I'm currently sourcing for motor data with the other CEntury Hawk converts and Rappie-E converts, Mike might have been correct earlier about those GS motors at champion,, the biggest sized one with the kV of 1340 might just fit the Hawk... or Rappie 30.....

Just FYI: It's possible to run an E-Hawk on 14 cells, a Mega 22/20/2 motor with up to 6 minutes of hard aerobatics.....

Comment

Working...
                      X