Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6V or 4.8V

hi all

Will a nitro heli will be more responsive if u use 6V batteries since the servos move faster.

other than adding a 4.8V regulator for the rudder servo(S9254) any other precautions to take?
    More Birds, More Luck!!

Yes and no.

If your servos are very slow and weak in torque, you MIGHT.

If your servos are already fast and powerful, then you probably won't.

If previously your battery voltage was dropping a lot under load, then you might.

If your 4.8v battery stays around 4.8v-5.0v under load, then you probably won't.

6v wears your servos faster. 6v also use more amp. If your servos are sluggish and underpowered, then you might feel more locked in, direct and connected in very demanding manuvers.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by baby_zyklon
      Yes and no.

If your servos are very slow and weak in torque, you MIGHT.

If your servos are already fast and powerful, then you probably won't.

If previously your battery voltage was dropping a lot under load, then you might.

If your 4.8v battery stays around 4.8v-5.0v under load, then you probably won't.

6v wears your servos faster. 6v also use more amp. If your servos are sluggish and underpowered, then you might feel more locked in, direct and connected in very demanding manuvers.
      My servos are 9252 servos and im using a 6v regulator. even faster and more powerful for better performance. so far so good, no signs of wear.

I cant really say yes or no because it depends on what and how you fly. if you are looking at 3D flying feeling the need for faster response, this is the thing to get.

dont forget to add in a 5.1v step down regulator for your gyro, if your planning to get one!
      Kedi AH !

Comment

i'm usin 4.8V, the heli feel sluggish in manuver.. might change to 6V
        More Birds, More Luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Murdanny
          My servos are 9252 servos and im using a 6v regulator. even faster and more powerful for better performance. so far so good, no signs of wear.

I cant really say yes or no because it depends on what and how you fly. if you are looking at 3D flying feeling the need for faster response, this is the thing to get.

dont forget to add in a 5.1v step down regulator for your gyro, if your planning to get one!

Futaba 9252 is only certified to run on 4.8volts. Run 6 volts and you risk a premature failure.
          F5D Stratair Viper Triple Carbon
          F5D Stratair Demon
          F5D Jibe
          Jiri Bachinski Escape Pylon
          Voodoo S400
          Kyosho Phantom 70 Reno racer
          La Racer 56

Comment

Originally posted by AceViperX
            Futaba 9252 is only certified to run on 4.8volts. Run 6 volts and you risk a premature failure.
            its perfectly fine to use a 6v regulator on futaba 9252, although it put there 'not recommended to use 6V. All 4 pack Ni-MH/Ni-Cd peaks at 6V when freshly charged.
            Kedi AH !

Comment

Check your servo temperature after flight! If they get hot at 6v, then it is really not a good idea my friend.

Comment

its perfectly fine to use a 6v regulator on futaba 9252, although it put there 'not recommended to use 6V. All 4 pack Ni-MH/Ni-Cd peaks at 6V when freshly charged.

To each his own then.
                4 cells may peak at 6 volts during charging. But when its under load it should drop to about 5.4 to 5.2 volts. Anyways if thats your rationale, then nobody should be using their gyros on a freshly charged pack.
                F5D Stratair Demon
                F5D Jibe
                Voodoo S400
                La Racer 56

Comment

when you see YC fly...does he seem to be on 6V?

more often than not its the fingers...not the batts

TREX 500 ESP
                  Futaba T12FGH

Comment

Originally posted by Art
                    when you see YC fly...does he seem to be on 6V?

more often than not its the fingers...not the batts

amen... heli mechanical setup and good fingers are far more important than servo voltage. the increase is not always much on most servos. unless you're using crappy servos in the first place, can you really tell if your servos have 2-3kg more torque, and maybe .02 seconds faster? i don't think anyone locally is flying at that level except for the elite flyers. whether it is worth upgrading your entire electrical system is up to you.
                    JR 9x
                    Raptor 50 SE
                    Raptor 90 3D
                    Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
                    Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
                    Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Comment

Originally posted by AceViperX
                      To each his own then.
                      4 cells may peak at 6 volts during charging. But when its under load it should drop to about 5.4 to 5.2 volts. Anyways if thats your rationale, then nobody should be using their gyros on a freshly charged pack.

yes. i understand. the link is there for your reference.
                      Kedi AH !

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon Chng
                        amen... heli mechanical setup and good fingers are far more important than servo voltage. the increase is not always much on most servos. unless you're using crappy servos in the first place, can you really tell if your servos have 2-3kg more torque, and maybe .02 seconds faster? i don't think anyone locally is flying at that level except for the elite flyers. whether it is worth upgrading your entire electrical system is up to you.
                        yes. amin to that too. i totally agree about good heli mechanical setup and good fingers and even if the one using reg has a bad heli mechanical setup and bad fingers, it makes no sense. but what if a good heli mechanical setup with good fingers and with a reg? fantastico.

but having a good regulator is not about the extra speed and the extra torque. i wanted a regulator because it can regulate my voltage constantly without dropping so that my servo will be working in its best, even in 4.8v.

like you said, its all about people preference.
                        Kedi AH !

Comment

http://runryder.com/helicopter/t346730p1/
                          yes. i understand. the link is there for your reference.
                          The way I look at it, all the posts in runryder regarding servo voltage are personal opinions. Some say its ok to run higher voltage than rated on the 9252 but not the gyro and 9256, some say not at all.... The bottom line is 9251, 9252, 9254, 9256 and probably all the other Futaba digital servos were only designed for 4 cells NiMh/NiCd.

Now going back to the topic at hand, a 6 volt power supply would benefit analogue servos more because its holding torque around its commanded position isn't as strong as a digital servo.
                          F5D Stratair Demon
                          F5D Jibe
                          Voodoo S400
                          La Racer 56

Comment

seems like both of us it differently. i still think it is fine using a the servo at a range of not more than 6v. as long as its regulates my voltage, im happy with it. so far so good on my machine.
                            Kedi AH !

Comment

hmm.. some say yes, some say no. guess this is more of personal preference & more importantly your heli setup/fingers. i'll ask around first b4 changing.
                              More Birds, More Luck!!

Comment

Working...
                              X