Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptor50 TT advice needed.....

Have been flying EP Heli for a year plus and wanted to try nitro....

Should I buy the Raptor50 TT kit with TT Pro50 engine as a package to
    start with since I am new to nitro engine so if engine "spoilt" $$$ loss not that much. I think its $6++.

Or should I go for the Kit without engine and get the OS50 instead ?
    Will the risk me higher since this would add up to around $8++?

Anyone with this area of experience care to shine some light.....

Thanks.

hi..

im as green as my nick...im a total newbie..but i think u shld get a raptor50 titan + os50 1st if u hv a tight budget like me..coz im getting 1 soon but on phases

Comment

The TT engine is not as condemed as everyone here thinks it is.... Actually if you read more on www.raptortechnique.com or runryder, they are many pple having good results with the TT50.

I used to own a TT50 on a sceadu Evo. It screams on each flight, no engine cut a single time(i have many people to vouch for that), fires beautifully everytime. Though the power is not suffient to hold 3 or 4 tick tocks, but it's definately more than enough for flips, loops, rolls....

I just changed the TT50 piston and piston ring not too long ago for that same evo50(i sold the whole machine to my friend)...... i think the TT engine has more gallons than any of my collection... PLUS 15 mins of flight time on 1/2 tank(stock evo50 tank + header). How i know, becoz some one with a full tank of OS50(SXH non hyper) was hovering beside me and when he landed, i was still flying.....
      Losers whine about their best. Winners date the Prom Queen.

Most people talk a lot, only few are up for the moment.

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
      20,000 times a min

Comment

What engine depends on your style of flying and how much power you really want. If you are doing 3d, you want the hyper, if you are just learning inverted, go for the tt50.

Like mathinstrument, I have had good luck with the tt50. It was a very reliable engine and runs extremely well with the needle mod. I had a bit of tuning issue without the mod. The tt50 with the r50 tank can run for around 14-15mins while the hyper can only run 9.5mins, but then since you have been flying ep, I think 9mins per flight should already be very sufficent for you.

Whatever engine you have inside your heli will not increase the risk, at least for the hyper vs tt50. If something is bound to break in a crash, it will break. I have repaired both and found the part cost to be quite similar, at least for the common parts like piston and ring. No one is better than the other in terms of bearing lifespan.

sigpic

Comment

Decided.....

Thanks for all the valuable advice, I think the path is more "lighted" now.

Comparing the price difference and my "need" right now, I think
          I will go with the kit with TT50 engine first.

btw: I have read the mod for the idle needle in theory. But in
          practical, how easy is it to get it done, getting from 1mm to 08mm ?

Comment

Yes, stick with the TT50 when ur learning.. I'm now using an OS 50 hyper on my Raptor 50 .. just doing hovering and fig 8s.. 9 mins and the tank is gone!! especially since im running rich... very expensive!!! Its about $4 per tank

Comment

will till you lean out and idle up...8 mins to header...but awesome power

TREX 500 ESP
              Futaba T12FGH

Comment

The needle mod is just a simple mod. The tip of the idle needle of the tt50 is blunt. You want to sharpen it. I din measure mine when I did it. It was trial and error, use sand paper sand the tip, put in and run, sand and run again, I got it on the second try.

sigpic

Comment

I m flying the Titan with the TT50 PRo engine. Its quite ok if u ask me. I m running idle and yeah it still manage to complete loops, rolls and stall turns. But it doesn t have as much power as a OS engine. But its does give u the bang for the buck when it comes to fuel consumption. Since u are still learning my advice is to take the package. Hey it works for me..
                  My Hangar:

Heli 1:T-REX 450SE (Hughes MD 500)
                  (SE-maiden 15/03/06)
                  (XL-maiden 16/10/05)

Heli 2:RAPTOR 50 TITAN
                  (TITAN-maiden 16/06/2006)

Heli 3:T-REX 500ESP (T-rex maiden 25/9/10)
                  (FLASHER 500-maiden 08/10/2009 R.I.P:09/08/10)

Heli 4:Flasher 250
                  (maiden 13/09/2010)

Airplane 1:GWS A-4SU Skyhawk For Sale
                  Airplane 2:GWS P-40N WarHawk RAAF maiden flight 20/08/10 For Sale

Transmitter:
                  JR 9XII(XPS 2.4)

Its all fun & games till the bills come..

Comment

UH-1H, i see you are running 610mm blades, which gear ratio are you using? Does the 610mm load up the engine a lot more than the 600mm blades?

sigpic

Comment

11T 96T the new optional gear...
                      My Hangar:

Heli 1:T-REX 450SE (Hughes MD 500)
                      (SE-maiden 15/03/06)
                      (XL-maiden 16/10/05)

Heli 2:RAPTOR 50 TITAN
                      (TITAN-maiden 16/06/2006)

Heli 3:T-REX 500ESP (T-rex maiden 25/9/10)
                      (FLASHER 500-maiden 08/10/2009 R.I.P:09/08/10)

Heli 4:Flasher 250
                      (maiden 13/09/2010)

Airplane 1:GWS A-4SU Skyhawk For Sale
                      Airplane 2:GWS P-40N WarHawk RAAF maiden flight 20/08/10 For Sale

Transmitter:
                      JR 9XII(XPS 2.4)

Its all fun & games till the bills come..

Comment

TT50 is definitely enough for aerobatics

Comment

If you're unfamiliar with the mod, i will try to get hold of 2 needles and show u how much u should sand.... I use wet sanding method with a 1000 grit sandpaper.....

Drop me a PM if you're unsure of how to do it.... I'll not do it for you, but i'll teach you so that you can teach others in the future..... Pay it forward!
                          Losers whine about their best. Winners date the Prom Queen.

Most people talk a lot, only few are up for the moment.

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
                          20,000 times a min

Comment

Originally posted by mathsinstrument
                            If you're unfamiliar with the mod, i will try to get hold of 2 needles and show u how much u should sand.... I use wet sanding method with a 1000 grit sandpaper.....

Drop me a PM if you're unsure of how to do it.... I'll not do it for you, but i'll teach you so that you can teach others in the future..... Pay it forward!
                            Thanks matheinstrument for the kind offer. I will sure look for you
                            to "teach me how to fish....." so that next time I can teach others
                            how to "fish" toooooo....

Comment

Working...
                            X