Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temptation... but practical??

Here's my dilema...

I own a PiccoZ, Lama V3, Trex 450XL and an Sceadu Evo 50, as well as G3.5 Sim. with regards to experience, Tail-in, left/right side hovers no problems and actually can do nose-in on the sim (but no guts to do it live! only one 5sec attempt before my heart dropped out! )

OK, here's the temptation. Have been wondering (ok maybe a bit more than just wondering) to getting something like the Honeybee CP2 type. As mentioned above, fear is a big component that I need to get past.... and the fear of crashes (more like the cost of repair and time involved for the bigger helis in particular)....

So, I need advice What you guys think? Should I or should I not. I was thinking that flying a smaller heli would reduce the fear component significantly and maybe progress faster? The sim helps, but there is no fear involved, so anyhow fly also can....

Of course, the temptation of another heli (My wife might just kill me and remove the fear component altogether ) is, well, tempting.
    alfer

I think you might as well train on the 50....smaller heli is generally not too stable so you spend more time fighting it then flying it.

Start doing figure 8s and the nose in will come naturally.

That was what I did too...didn;t train to hover nose in delibrately but somehow it came with the figure 8s
    TREX 500 ESP
    Futaba T12FGH

Comment

yah, what arthur said is right. i just did tail in, and when i feel i have enough control over the heli to start doing fig 8, just do it man.. when the heli is coming back to you.. u naturally grasp the concept of nose in!

Comment

Originally posted by Art
        Start doing figure 8s and the nose in will come naturally.

That was what I did too...didn;t train to hover nose in delibrately but somehow it came with the figure 8s
        I'm doing that now. But still dare not hover nose in!!!

I will continue till it comes naturally.

Comment

just do it...it will come naturally.

Practise hovering all round orientation, and move on to another orientation as soon as you lose confidence in that position. The brain will only allow you to absorb staying in that position for a short while....but once you're used to it, I'm sure you can take off/land, or even hover the whole darn tank in nose-in position...
          [SIZE="1"]
          [url]www.dxnmedia.net[/url]
          Video Post Production | HD Acquisition | Media Consultant

[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by 9VDXN
            just do it...it will come naturally.

Practise hovering all round orientation, and move on to another orientation as soon as you lose confidence in that position. The brain will only allow you to absorb staying in that position for a short while....but once you're used to it, I'm sure you can take off/land, or even hover the whole darn tank in nose-in position...

duh...you different loh....you started by putting the heli the other way round mah

TREX 500 ESP
            Futaba T12FGH

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianli
              I'm doing that now. But still dare not hover nose in!!!

I will continue till it comes naturally.
              The "naturally" came to me aredi ! ....but dun yet dare let the heli come too close in unlike when "tail in".

Actually, for me the fear is not crashing the heli and having to spent $$$, it is more the time factor of having to re-setup everything after the repair and the heli handles a little differently after that.

The experts here are right ! ...practice figure 8s, slow it down bit by bit and soon you're doing "nose-in" !
              Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks guys!! The Masters have spoken! OK. Press on then! Figure 8's it shall be.

And ya, I kind the "comes naturally" bit. Recalling when I was trying to learn tail-in hovering!! I never thought I'd get it!! Crash so many times, repairs and repairs... don even dare to think how much I spent then!!

Then, SUDDENLY..... a different level of enlightenment!!!!

So I'd spend the money on fuel & parts (gulp) then. But ya, the time spent to re-setup the heli and get everything back to post-crash is the beggest headache.
                alfer

Comment

fly with us at segar...setup will come after a while...but during the repairs and such you will get to know the heli inside out....that will be a super good lesson learnt

TREX 500 ESP
                  Futaba T12FGH

Comment

Yes! Definately one of these days I will have to come down!!

Again, thanks guys for the advice!
                    alfer

Comment

Yeah, spend money on fuel and spare parts! Dont succumb to your temptation... A new heli just makes the learning curve steeper.. You will have to learn how to do setup on the new heli, get used to its flying characteristics, etc.

Stick with what you have and make the best out of it!

Comment

Originally posted by junyang
                        Totally agree!!! 100%!!!
                        I will be back!

Comment

Originally posted by junyang
                          Yeah, spend money on fuel and spare parts! Dont succumb to your temptation... A new heli just makes the learning curve steeper.. You will have to learn how to do setup on the new heli, get used to its flying characteristics, etc.

Hmmm..., how about learning with bad and unstable helicopter. Afterthat, changing to smooth stable helicopter will be like pro... .

Regards,
                          Arto.
                          Dynam Hughes 300 fp with stock blades and GWS DD tail upgrade...
                          TX: 72.830MHz, mode 2.

Can hover already, now learning orientation...

Comment

If you learn on a good machine it'll probably bring you to hovering and FF in no time.....on a unstable machine it'll probably take yuo forever to lift off..and the stick banging that you do on small and light machines will not do you good when you fly a bigger and more stable machine.

my 2 cents
                            TREX 500 ESP
                            Futaba T12FGH

Comment

Agreed agreed. Learnt hovering on the Trex. Took me awhile but I really started progressing when I started flying the Sceadu because I spend less time trying to stabilize the heli and actually flying it!
                              alfer

Comment

Working...
                              X