Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Query on what Blades u use for DDrive in Dragonfly.

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query on what Blades u use for DDrive in Dragonfly.

Hi all

I wanted to know what rotor blades u all using for your Direct Drive tail motor in Dragonfly. I also wanted to know how long (Total continues flight time... Break in between are not counted)

I tried EP-3020, EP-5030 and EP-4025. So far I find that EP-5030 got the most authority as compare to EP-3020 or EP-4025. It is much more quiet also BUT EP-5030 (Cut down length to EP-4025) will burn out your CN12-RXC motor pretty fast on 3Cell Li-Poly.

Just now I tested EP-4025... More authority and lesser noise as compare to EP-3020 but after a few minutes, if you smell the motor, it has those burning coil smell.

So that means I left to EP-3020. What do u all using?

Super-Hornet

So now we know wad prop to use!

Thanks for the R&D on the prop!
    Failure is not final,
    Success is never ending:
    It is not the destination but the journey that matters.

Wadever the journey, keep flying!

Comment

Hi hornet

i'm using a 3020 also

Could you try cutting down the 4025 to maybe a 3525 and trying that out ?

i'm thinking of doing that as i'm starting to find myself in need of more tail thrust,havent got any props to cut though....

think our optimum dd prop would probably be something like a 4015 or something too bad they dont make them heh.

derrick

Comment

Hi D.Yeo

Do you have measurement for 3525 and 4015? I don't have those and do not have the measurement.

Another alternative to try (I going to try it soon) is to either stick 2 EP-3020 prop to the motor or break EP-3020 blades and glue it onto another EP-3020 (U now have 4 blades instead).

Super-Hornet

Comment

Hornet : The number actually means the measurement the first two are the props diameter and the second two are for pitch.
          Quite logical if somewhat unimaginative....

So a 3020 is a 3 inch diameter prop with 2inch pitch.

So making a 3525 means cutting a 4025 down till it measures 3.5 inches...

Great idea for the 4 bladed prop haha

More static thrust but making one will be a great big headache though?

As you fly we might find our 4 bladed props turning themselves into 3 bladed props then 2 bladed props etc etc

hmm lets try my 3525 idea first eh ?
          you got spares to cut ? if not i could try getting some tomorrow.

like bon says, thanks for the R&D !

derrick

Comment

Hi derrick

I think I run out of spare blades to cut. Look like u have to go and buy some.

As for the dimension, thanks. Anyway, I just created a 4 Blades propeller using 2 EP-2508. I haven't drill the hole to 1.5mm yet. Willl let u know the result.

Super-Hornet

Comment

cool man! keep them coming! just got to wait till my b2c burns out before going DD with ips
              Hey anyone tried DD with b2c? is it possible?
              Failure is not final,
              Success is never ending:
              It is not the destination but the journey that matters.

Wadever the journey, keep flying!

Comment

Hi BonJour Brat

I didn't try stock motor for direct drive, but if you want.. I think it is possible. U have to use 1mm diameter propeller blades. E.g. EP-2508 ot EP-2510.

BUT!!! The stock motor is a bit weak. If you going to run 3Cell with DDrive, it may kill the motor (Burn out) pretty fast...I only guesssing.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Hornet: No problem i'll try going by today see what if i can get some. Or ask loyn to pick some up or soemthing...

How did you make the 4 blade ? sounds great, got pictures ?

Derrick

Comment

Sorry no picture. Anyway, I don't like it because a bit too weak in authority.

Later in the everning i will try using EP-3020 instead. The method as I said... break off 2 blades from one EP-3020 and then CA glue to another EP-3020. If you want strenght but don't mind the slow setting (glue setting) I would recommend u to try those glue use by Model kit. (U know... tamiya Model Ship, tank, plane and etc). That glue will practically melt the propeller plastic. So use a bit will do.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Just like to know how you ensure the right pitch for the new attached blade on the pro....any misalign will cause vibration and significant drop in pro performance....

Comment

oh oh my contact at chan just told me there arent anymore 4025 blades there

hornet you got 5030 blades to cut down to 3530 maybe ?

think this might make our tail motor run a bit hotter and less efficiently due to the increased pitch.

Comment

Re: 4025

Originally posted by D.Yeo
                          oh oh my contact at chan just told me there arent anymore 4025 blades there

hornet you got 5030 blades to cut down to 3530 maybe ?

think this might make our tail motor run a bit hotter and less efficiently due to the increased pitch.
                          Arthur???????????

Comment

hi Derrick

I not sure whether I still have uncut EP-5030 left or not.. Have to check my pile of spare parts and junks....hehe

Anyway, I can't test my 4 Blades Modified EP-3020 right now due to I damage my Home Made Landing Skids. Once I create another Landing Skids, I will try it.

Actually (Correct me if I'm wrong) having 4 blades give u lesser vibration due to it is balance by 90 degree. I tried 1 propeller and 2 propeller onto a IPS before and notice that the more propeller (or more blades u have), the lesser the vibration. IPS can accept up to 3 propeller.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Hi all

I finally tested my Modified 4 Blades EP-3020. Result:
                              Adv
                              Good authority. Like having double of EP-3020.
                              Much Much quieter than Dual blades EP-3020.

Disadv
                              Motor Run hotter. May risk of having CN12-RXC burn out. Read Note below

Bottom line is that I think EP-3020 or any propeller blades that have the same total aerofoil surface is the best. U still can use other bigger blades but recommend u stop once in the while for it to cool down. Unless u can find better motor than CN12-RXC. Brushless Tail motor maybe the good solution also.

Note:
                              CN12-RXC and RLC has a design of what I so called design fault.
                              The armature coil ended at the commutator is soldered type. It is soldered onto a metal ring with this metal ring soldered onto the commutator. When this motor heat up (especially the armature coil), the solder actually melted causing the metal ring to loose its grip and therefore, fly off inside the motor. Without the metal (as heat conductive?), the coil solder also melted and fly off inside the motor as well. What u now get is the poor conductive between the commutator and the armature coil. Not only that, u risk of having further damage to the motor because of free moving metal ring and the solder shrapnel.

In other motor like Tamiya Mini 4WD motor (example Plasma Dash, Power Dash and Sprint Dask), the coil is not solder but rather being clip onto the commutator.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Working...
                              X