Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to secure Paddle to flybar

Would appreciate any advise on how to ensure that the flybar paddle (Helidirect) is well secured to the flybar rod.

I have just installed the white flybar paddle from Helidirect (Stabilizer Paddle Set - HDX450SE/3DX400) and wonder if there is a better way to secure the paddle from flying off in the event that the allen key becomes loose.

In the case of the Align paddle, it is screwed directly into the flybar rod and therefore very secure . However, the Helidirect's paddle uses one allen key to tighten the paddle to the flybar rod. In case the allen key comes loss, the paddle may fly out.

Would appreciate some advise from those who have used this paddle. I was thinking of adding some CA, but afraid that it might get into the allen key and jam the whole assy permanently.

This is how it looks like:

All advise are welcomed, thanks

Heli
    Honey Bee CP2 : Sold (Maiden:17 Dec 05)
    Trex 450XL (CDE) : MM450TH, Quark 33A, GY401, JR RS10DS (Maiden : Align Frame - 1 Jul 06; SuperFrame - 29 Aug 06)

Plane
    Estarter : Align 450s, Align 25A, Electron 6 (Maiden :16 Sep 06)

PT-17w : Sold
    Buggy
    Acme NB 16 : Half 8 Nitro (Maiden :23 Dec 06)

Transmtter : JR PCM 9X II, Aggressor SRX
    Charger : Tahmazo T15
    Balancer : TP205
    Battery :Thunder Power, FullRiver, Warbird

Ca?
    My Hangar:

Heli 1:T-REX 450SE (Hughes MD 500)
    (SE-maiden 15/03/06)
    (XL-maiden 16/10/05)

Heli 2:RAPTOR 50 TITAN
    (TITAN-maiden 16/06/2006)

Heli 3:T-REX 500ESP (T-rex maiden 25/9/10)
    (FLASHER 500-maiden 08/10/2009 R.I.P:09/08/10)

Heli 4:Flasher 250
    (maiden 13/09/2010)

Airplane 1:GWS A-4SU Skyhawk For Sale
    Airplane 2:GWS P-40N WarHawk RAAF maiden flight 20/08/10 For Sale

Transmitter:
    JR 9XII(XPS 2.4)

Its all fun & games till the bills come..

Comment

CA my last choice....hope there is a better way. Maybe I try to tap some thread into the paddle and screw the fly bar rod into the paddle further before using the Allen key. Wonder if there's anyone else who does this way.

I really like this flybar paddle design, looks great and has abit of blue weight for added stability. Flys good!

Originally posted by UH-1H
      Ca?
      Heli
      Trex 450XL (CDE) : MM450TH, Quark 33A, GY401, JR RS10DS (Maiden : Align Frame - 1 Jul 06; SuperFrame - 29 Aug 06)

Plane

Buggy

Comment

how about filing a step on the flybar ?
        the allen nut can sit on the step,
        if loose you will notice it more easier.

Its a Great day, lets fly, crawl, and fight.

XRB SR Lama
        Robotis Bioloid
        Robot Bear

<a href="http://asherong.sg">http://asherong.sg</a>

Comment

Oh ya, nice idea.

...only problem is that I have to make sure that the step is parallel to the flybar cage, else may be difficult to tighten the nut with the paddle parellel to the cage.

Thanks..thanks.

Originally posted by pilot_bear
          how about filing a step on the flybar ?
          the allen nut can sit on the step,
          if loose you will notice it more easier.
          Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

hey i have the same paddles as this and i thought that they would come off easy to. so i tightend the allan key screw allot, big mistake it took me 2 days to get out because i stripped the allen key screw and bent a flybar in the process. my idea would be to make a groove in the flybar so the allen key screw can just sitt in there and you dont have to tighten it up hard.

Comment

So Matt,

Did you do the grove finally? How's the outcome? I only worry that after making the grove, it becomes very difficult to tighten the allen key with the paddle parallel with the flybar cage. Unless I have a way to cut the grove of both ends so that they are both parallel...

Originally posted by Matt
              hey i have the same paddles as this and i thought that they would come off easy to. so i tightend the allan key screw allot, big mistake it took me 2 days to get out because i stripped the allen key screw and bent a flybar in the process. my idea would be to make a groove in the flybar so the allen key screw can just sitt in there and you dont have to tighten it up hard.
              Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

no i havent it seems to hold fine with out it.

Comment

Instead of making flat groove like in Raptor flybar, u can make a round groove like in TRex tail shaft.

To make round shaft, u connect your flybar to a drill. Try to hold the flybar lightly and spin up the drill. Then while spinning use file (finger file) and file it till it has a groove.

This groove will reduce the changes of flybar being fly off if set screw came loose.

SH

Comment

That's a good idea. thanks for the detail steps. Will try it out

Thanks SH!

Originally posted by Super-Hornet
                    Instead of making flat groove like in Raptor flybar, u can make a round groove like in TRex tail shaft.

To make round shaft, u connect your flybar to a drill. Try to hold the flybar lightly and spin up the drill. Then while spinning use file (finger file) and file it till it has a groove.

This groove will reduce the changes of flybar being fly off if set screw came loose.

SH
                    Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

Update

After some consideration, I have decided to file a V-grove on the flybar. As the flybar is only 2mm diameter, it will be difficult to cut a grove around without significantly weakening the rod.

I file the V-grove with a triangle file and apply thread lock to the thread end of the flybar rod before inserting the paddle (additional safety). Thread lock are also generiously applied to the allen screws before securing the paddle to the flybar.

Did a test.
                      1) With the screw fully secured, I am able to align the paddle with the flybar cage without problem.

2) When I try losening the allen screw by 1/4 turn, the paddle became loose but remains intact and will not fly out of the flybar. At close to 1/2 turn, then the paddle can be removed.

This will certainly makes me feel alot safer.

Photos below:

Many Thanks to all advise
                      Heli

Plane

Buggy

Comment

Working...
                      X