Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encounter with the Police

All this talk about Police turning up at the flying site leads me to share what happened to me a fortnight ago.

It was a Saturday late morning and I was at Yishun heavy vehicle park getting some flight time. I had just taken off for my 2nd flight when a police car pulled up next to me. I landed my bird and spoke to the officer. He informed me that they had received a report about my flying. When I asked for details, he mentioned that there are several instances where the nearby airport (Seletar?) radar has picked up R/C aircraft and asked the police to check it out. In fact, he recounted that there was one time even a kite was picked up by the radar. Anyway, I mentioned that since I had been hovering below the tree line, I did not think it was my high flying that the radar picked up. He called his control center to confirm and this is what he told me...

It seems that someone at the carpark had reported that flying R/C helis was dangerous and had called the police to 'protect' me from myself (!). When the police officer heard it on the radio he himself could not believe it and shook his head.

If you fly at Yishun car park, you will notice that there are signs which says not to fly radio control planes at the carpark. The officer pointed that out to me but I smiled and told him I am not flying a plane but a helicopter. He got the joke as well and went off after that after.

The car park is also used by people learning driving. My gut feeling is that one of the driving instructors called to police as the heli flying was probably distracting his student.

The things we have to go through to get some flying time...

------------------------
    Up... Up... and AWAY !

Hi

First of all which Heavy Vehicle Park do u fly? Is it near the Industrial Park? U know got ASM.

I think we have to bear with it because:
    1 - Ppl are jealous about our aircraft.
    2 - Ppl here (especially those lau Auntie and Uncle) like to complain. Hey last time Yishun got free naked show for HDB ppl but instead of enjoying it..... NOOO.... Auntie complain it!

We have racing track for R/C Car in Yishun Central... Why don't we have Air Field for R/C aircraft?

Super-Hornet

Comment

Hmm now i understand why the don't allow flying at yishun now.. it will be confusing to the ATC at seletar when they pick up the model aircraft.

The cops were pretty nice to let you off.

Why we don't have a free for all flying field? Well how much damage can a out of control car do compared to a out of control aircraft??? That is why we don't have a free for all airfield.
      One day... one day...

Comment

Well I believe we have specific area for RC flying (even for boat), but you have to be a member in order to do so. ($$$$$$) Only those who like to fly "around" (like me) will be the one encounter flying site issue. That is why I go for micro to full fill the need of "fly anywhere" idea. As long as your model is small, ppl will take it as "safe toy" even those it is NOT. This will cause less attension as compare to nitro birds (I am not against nitro as I started this hobby with it too).

So far I fly my 3D foam plane and feda at small grass field near my home. Touch wood no complain yet. May be is the size (24" wing spend only for my 3D plane) and silent flight characteistic in nature of the EP model. fyi the grass field is next to a temp polic station...

Comment

totally agree with loyn's given plus for microz
          i intially reseached the piccolo due to its size to avoid having to license myself juz to fly

of coz now i know its not really neccessary
          JR PCM 9XII

BEAM E4

HS65 Cyclic
          Futaba S3154 Tail
          Scorpion 2221-8
          JETI Spin 44A
          JR RS 77
          Logictech 2100 TL Gyro
          Thunder Power TP2070-3SX

A Bottle Of Guts, Neat.

Comment