Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mabuchi motors cheaper

As our johnson motors are no longer on the way, i thought we should look around locally for cheaper main motor replacements.

So i bought a mabuchi 370 from chan ( 12 bucks + service with a smile )and brought it to kai chin at sim lim tower and asked ling ( the guy there ) about ordering a small batch of 30 or so.

he says he cant name a price but it'll definately be much less than 10 each.

dont think we save as much as we would with the johnsons but i guess every dollar counts when we're spending so much already...anyone else interested ?

Last edited by D.Yeo; 16-03-2004, 02:41 PM.

First like thanks for your affect in search of a lower cost motor.

On the other hand, did you try out the Mabuchi motors on any micro heli yet? Did it give you enough output power? What I worry is the same problem I face with my new 370 motor from rotor. Physically there is no different from my old motor, but it just cannot provide the sufficient power to lift the heli.

So may be you will like to find out more on their specification before batch order. Other while ......we may end up with a lot of unusable motors....

Once again thanks

Comment

mabuchi produced the motors that GWS is using for their product.
      its the same

so i suppose we are looking at a dependable source
      JR PCM 9XII

BEAM E4

HS65 Cyclic
      Futaba S3154 Tail
      Scorpion 2221-8
      JETI Spin 44A
      JR RS 77
      Logictech 2100 TL Gyro
      Thunder Power TP2070-3SX

A Bottle Of Guts, Neat.

Comment

hi loyn :

No problem, glad to be able to help.

Yup the motor works fine, that's why i went use that as a sample
        I'm using that exact motor now and it's working fine, hmmm maybe you can take a look at the funfly on wed ?
        My Feda is stock besides an IPS tail.

i can also bring the mabuchi "7D" ( the ones in the ST models gear train and the gws EPS350 gear boxes ) and ask him to test them. Those should have fewer armature winds and might spool to higher RPM.My last motor was from that one , from rotor for 20 bucks.Those have been excellent as well. used it till it started to die , re timed it, and abused it another 3 weeks or so!

This new one doesn't seem to be lacking in power either, though.

Comment

Well must be my luck of getting the bad one out of the million. Anyway thanks for the infor and yes keep me in the loop as I am interested in the motor until I found a alternative for it.

BTW, how do you approach chan for the motor? Just say "I want to buy a 370 motor. " As I know they are one kind of shop and this my first time going there......scare man....to handle such shop keeper To bad they are so much cheaper than the rest of the LHS

Comment

champion

Haha i just go there and talk cock with him, he's actually pretty nice to me, been going to his shop for a while already.

so i go there , see what i want, point here point there...etc...
            basically i dont ask him for much, he's quite blur heh. Just take a look at what's written, make sure what' written's correct, double check at home on internet if possible...etc

Dont think you got one in a million, that'd be really rare... why dont you pass me your motor and i test it out for you ? likewise, i'll pass you one of my old motors, see if those can at least lift your heli.

What motor are you using now then ?

Comment

No motor .....my heli is grounded since Sunday.... ....I mean only able to hover inchs from the ground.

No problem I can pass it to you for testing, who know it may work for you! Anyway I will get a new motor for tomorrow's funfly....just don't want to miss it. On the other, I can pass the heli flying and stay with my indoor 3D plane.....but eerrrr...

Thanks for the inform, but do you have any idea what voltage find for the heli as Mike has said there is various voltage type for 370 motor (6~8.4V) Higher the better or lower? Any advise ?

Thanks

Comment

Hmmm what motor do you plan on getting now ?
                Think most 300+ motors should be able to lift a heli easily, as YZY tells me anyway ( he seems to be right so far heh ).

Voltage , or what i think the industry calls a nameplate rating, sort of refers to the optimum voltage the motor runs on.
                For us it's simple, lower the rated voltage the fewr the windings on the armature, means at a given voltage a 6v speed 400 will spin a at higher RPM than a 7.2v speed 400.But it'll run with less torque. Neither can really give you more or less output, it's more a question of how it produces it : higher RPM , lower torque, or vice versa.If you look at all these motor performance graphs they can explain this better than i can ever hope to..

for example a 7.2V speed 600 would be better suited to turning a direct drive prop, as it develops more torque at its optimum output, whereas a 6v one would be better off in a gearbox running lower torque but at higher RPM.

For industrial use i'm thinking this is purely a matter of specification? dont think a lower turn or higher turn motor will cost more or less....that's why i'm counting on the kaichin guys to give us a good price for a a "hot" motor.

DISCLAIMER : I'm just a hobby guy so this is a very simple, myopic understanding of dc motors !

It seems our 300 motors are 4.5 to 6V , thereabouts.
                i'm not sure though....the GWS 300H doesnt look as suitable for our helis on 7.2-8.4V packs judging by the stats GWS puts on their website, ( no load RPM is significantly lower than the em300 one at 7.2 )is that by any chance the one you bought ?

Comment

Called Mr Ling

I called mr Ling and asked for a quote for about 30 motors.
                  and he has one sample. Each will cost about $6.80, and if i'm not wrong are the same as the emm350 ones being sold at rotor for 19.

He confirms it's the mabuchi 370 SD motor,though the windings he's not so sure. The GWS emm350 motors are apparently lower wind 370SDs whereas the emm300s are higher wound.

This means we're not very sure about what we're getting, only that we'rre getting it less than half price, and that it works.

Anyone interested ? if so i'll go try the sample.and test to see if it's good or excellent

Loyn perhaps you could ask around ?

Comment

Working...
                  X