Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60 size muffler on OS50

Just wanted to let everyone know of my early experience with fitting a 60 size muffler onto my OS50.

Some background first. After reading a couple of messages on RunRyder about how putting a 60 size muffer onto the OS50 would make it quieter, I took the plunge and went out and bought one (Funtech HNS-60FAI) thru the RunRyder classifieds.

Unfortunately I found out too late that the mounting holes on a 60 muffler are different from the OS50 i.e. it would not fit !

I posted a message on the old DaddyHobby board and Jazallo (Jali) was kind enough to offer to help to drill the new hole. Thanks Jali
    Apart from drilling the hole, I also had to file down the muffler a little on the mounting bracket so as to fit into the Evo frame.

I applied a little epoxy to act as a gasket and fitted it to the OS50. All that completed, I finally got a chance to fly last weekend.

Initial impressions is that the noise level is a little lower and there is more power. I had to richen my high-speed needle by 4 clicks and lower my throttle curve. I'm still fiddling with the engine settings but so far I am quite happy with the change.

One unexpected bonus is that I have found that my flight times have lenghtened slightly. I used to top up my tank and get about 10 mins until the header starts to empty. Now, With the tank 5/7 full, I can get 10 minutes flying and the header tank is still untouched.

Hope you find the info useful.

Joe

Ps: Just wanted to thank Jali again for his great help !

------------------------
    Up... Up... and AWAY !

I got myself a O.S.61 WC and with a hatori muffler 710 which is a muffler for 70/90 engine. But I still go ahead with the job and turn out the 61 match 70/90 muffler very well indeed I should say. It got more power and quieter then I thought really good. But need to richer abit more just like the MP2 muffler. And I 'm using Cool Power 15% only and not 20% or 30%.

Jameswilliam

Comment

what about a 50 tuned pipe to a 39 size?
      JR 9x
      Raptor 50 SE
      Raptor 90 3D
      Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
      Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
      Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Comment

branzz...you forgot SLee's advise on the tuned pipe???

Gawd!!!!

TREX 500 ESP
        Futaba T12FGH

Comment

no, but a tuned pipe doesn't need to be tuned to be used. the majority of heli flyers using tuned pipes don't tune their pipes. i'm interested in this as i don't want to buy too many upgrades in the future.
          JR 9x
          Raptor 50 SE
          Raptor 90 3D
          Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
          Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
          Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Comment

Last edited by Art; 16-03-2004, 01:10 PM.
            TREX 500 ESP
            Futaba T12FGH

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon Chng
              no, but a tuned pipe doesn't need to be tuned to be used. the majority of heli flyers using tuned pipes don't tune their pipes. i'm interested in this as i don't want to buy too many upgrades in the future.
              Huh?
              From what I've read, an engine with a tuned pipe will only be more powerful within a very narrow rpm range. Outside of this range, it bogs down more than a standard pipe.
              If anything, a tuned pipe needs more tuning in the engine, throttle curve and pitch curve to keep it in the optimum rpm range.
              F5D Stratair Viper Triple Carbon
              F5D Stratair Demon
              F5D Jibe
              Jiri Bachinski Escape Pylon
              Voodoo S400
              Kyosho Phantom 70 Reno racer
              La Racer 56

Comment

Working...
              X