Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3S and IPS and 11.1V motors

Flew my Feda with a 3S pack and before the pack dumped, the IPS has gone south. It went gradually, becoming stiffer and less powerful through the flight and finally died.

This motor dates from October and its the first IPS that I've killed due to usage. I was using a cutdown 4025 prop and at the end of a 10 min flight the motor was too hot to touch. So moral of the story is to avoid 3S packs for the Fedas with mixer boards and GWS separates.

On to another topic about motors....
    I recalled someone trying the 11.1 V motors from JET HOBBY in the old forum but can't remember who exactly it was.
    If you're reading this please post your results with the 11.1v motor
    My 6V 370 is getting tight... its going soon... thought of getting the 11.1V motors.

Thanks!
    -Feda Dragonfly
    -Hornet 2
    -Pilot OK Turmeric
    -Zoom Zoom 4D
    -Sceadu EVO 50: OS50, Hatori521, Revmax,
    -Hornet X3D
    -Hornet X3D (yet to setup!)
    -Formosa 1
    -World Models Spot On 50
    -HB King 2
    -World Models Groovy 50 F3A
    -RICCS F18 EDF

Controlled by 9CHP
    (Temasek Poly AMIG)

The piccolo Pro uses a high voltage ips but I've never been able to find one in any of the hobby stores.
    F5D Stratair Viper Triple Carbon
    F5D Stratair Demon
    F5D Jibe
    Jiri Bachinski Escape Pylon
    Voodoo S400
    Kyosho Phantom 70 Reno racer
    La Racer 56

Comment

yap the small IPS motor may be powerfull but is not design for 3S operation. Even under 2S it will heat up fast, that is why I put in a heat sink on my home made 3D plane. As I found it was hot only after several mins of flight.

BTW, on other oversea plane formu has mension that the IPS motor can be kill within a short time if it is being overloaded.

Comment

How bout soldering a zener diode across the motor to clamp the voltage across the motor at the zener voltage, so that we can use 3s with the low voltage ips.
        Possible? Does it help? Anyone?

Failure is not final,
        Success is never ending:
        It is not the destination but the journey that matters.

Wadever the journey, keep flying!

Comment

i had that JH 11.1v motor. i wanted it for my hornet but it couldn't get more than 2 feet even on 3s. i tried all sizes of pinion/pitch/throttle setup to no avail. but you can use it on a fixed pitch. it has roughly same power as speed 280/300. but not adviseable as 3s will kill your tail motor as it is usually 6-7.2v only. but if you are able to find the 10.8v edf motor then you can use 3s.
          ---------------------
          Ergo 30 SS
          Voyager E

Comment

Had considering checking Raj out on the High Voltage IPS? He may still have them in stock My IPS had superb torque and pretty ok w 3S

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Good idea, if Raj has the grey endbell versions I'll be delighted!
              Your Pic Pro is the older version with the black end bell IPS motor. I've been told they only have metal fingers, not carbon brushes. But if yours is holding up, I'll give it a go.

It seems that none of the GWS distributors carries the higher voltage versions of the IPS and EDF. Really dumb if you ask me since they bring in almost every other thing available from GWS... Probably a marketing strategy to get people to buy more motors as they burn the low voltage ones reglarly

Waycool, thanks for your reply. I guess it just has too many winds on it. Who knows it might be the ticket for those of us who wants to try 4s but keep with bruhed motors But the BEC will be a major problem....

The thing is from the packaging of the IPS motor , they don't even state whether its the RXC or RLC....

Bon, how do I go about doing that? I have no idea what a zener diode is... hehe probably later on I'll know after skewl starts.

I can't resist the power the Feda has with 3S man! The vertical performance is incredible
              I keep on jabbing the throttle just to get that rush as it climbs out quickly. If not for the tail motor dying, I would be a 3S convert
              -Feda Dragonfly
              -Hornet 2
              -Pilot OK Turmeric
              -Zoom Zoom 4D
              -Sceadu EVO 50: OS50, Hatori521, Revmax,
              -Hornet X3D
              -Hornet X3D (yet to setup!)
              -Formosa 1
              -World Models Spot On 50
              -HB King 2
              -World Models Groovy 50 F3A
              -RICCS F18 EDF

Controlled by 9CHP
              (Temasek Poly AMIG)

Comment

So that's why Walt Ferar can barrel roll and loop his feda with the shrinked wrap blades!!! DOUG WAIT! I know what u're thinking, u're itching to try that out yar?

Comment

Wait a sec.. sorry for that post.. doesnt make sense.. we cant just clamp the voltage with the zener.. we need to maintain a variable voltage but clamp it at 7.2V max to use with 3s right? Mike, any idea? Remember anything that may help?

Failure is not final,
                  Success is never ending:
                  It is not the destination but the journey that matters.

Wadever the journey, keep flying!

Comment

Working...
                  X