Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have problems with twitchy flying with red dampers?

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone have problems with twitchy flying with red dampers?

i recently changed my dampers from the blues to the reds on my r50...kao the hovering performance is damned twitchy. i somehow prefer the blues for smoother flying and to practice hovering in all directions and forward flight. since i've not been flying for some time, my hovering is just like a newbie now i think, serious! i'm thinking of changing back to the blues for a while to brush up my skills. luckily i'm not using a metal head yet, only the plastic one. i would think the stiffness of the metal would make the damping even harder and make it harder literally to learn basic manueveres and getting smooth flying.
    JR 9x
    Raptor 50 SE
    Raptor 90 3D
    Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
    Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
    Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Change back to the blue dampers.
    Flying with too hard dampers than one is comfortable will bring about a lot of flying and safety issues. stability will affect one's confidence in more way than expected. with hard dampers, not too appropriate controls MAY result in blade flutter and repetitive oscillations, severly affecting safe flight.
    The same apply to cnc parts as well

Comment

wow... chim

red dampers with plastic head can cause blade flutter?
      -* Project Swift *-

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon Chng
        i recently changed my dampers from the blues to the reds on my r50...kao the hovering performance is damned twitchy. i somehow prefer the blues for smoother flying and to practice hovering in all directions and forward flight. since i've not been flying for some time, my hovering is just like a newbie now i think, serious! i'm thinking of changing back to the blues for a while to brush up my skills. luckily i'm not using a metal head yet, only the plastic one. i would think the stiffness of the metal would make the damping even harder and make it harder literally to learn basic manueveres and getting smooth flying.
        Hi,

You may need to reduce your expo.
        FLYING IS FUN.
        Stratus, Trex 600 NSP, Swift 16

Comment

Dampers are used for reducing vibration etc. The side effect is reduced sensitivity.

In model heli - it delays the reaction of the control input and isolating rotor head and tail rotor vibes. By dialing in expo will create a dampered feel - like a soft damper but it doesn't takeaway the bad built quality.

To use hard damper - your heli must be in tip top condition otherwise every inperfection will be felt. The entire power system must be well balanced and control linkages are well adjusted.

Comment

Red Dampers

Hi Brandon!

I also just changed from blue to red dampers.

Its more pitchy in forward flight requiring constant pushing of nose down as it kept pitching up in flight.

But loops, flips and rolls are much more responsive.

So I guess at the end of the day, it depends on what you wanna do with your heli.

Put whatever makes you happy, which is why we are all flying helis in the first place!

Comment

yup, i've since added expo, it now hovers ok...although i'll never recommend it to any newbie until they get past FF
              JR 9x
              Raptor 50 SE
              Raptor 90 3D
              Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
              Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
              Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Comment

Working...
              X