Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sloping places in Batam and Bintan?

Hi,

Right now, it appears we have Bedok Reservoir for sloping in December and January.
    After that, flyers can make a trip to Sedili in Johor for sloping in January to February and maybe early March.

Does anyone know of other suitable places in Batam and Bintan for the other months of the year?

If you go these islands often for holidays and golfing, have you spotted any places that might be suitable?

Has anyone from Singapore flown their RC planes there?

Did anyone encounter any problems with customs and immigration with regards to bringing RC gear (TX, planes, lipos, etc) into these islands?

Share your experiences here and include any advice you may have.

Thank you.

Hello,

for Bedok and sedili, you can fly till around April, thats when the north-east monsoon stops.

For the later part of the year, the wind will come from south-east. For batam, bintan, they look like suitable for both north-east and south-east winds as to their east is just the sea, clear of any obstructions. So if there are any slope facing east, should be good.

I have not been to both island so cant be sure, but we are always looking for places nearby to get our slope fix, so if anyone been there and spotted any, do let us know.
    www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers
    www.facebook.com/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League

Comment

Hello, Pang,

Thank you for clarifying that Bedok and Sedili are suitable for sloping until April.

If any one here is skilled in reading relief maps, you can help us study the maps of these two islands about possible sloping sites.

Suitable sites include mountains or hills, or coastal areas with cliffs or sharp drop offs with on-shore winds at certain times of the year.

Nothing beats local knowledge of course. If you happen to know local residents well, they might be able to show you good places.

Sailing enthusiasts who have sailed in around these islands may have some knowledge too. Perhaps we can do an "expedition" of sorts.

Finding a slope is one thing. Getting to the actual flying area is another. Not many places are like Sedili, which is accessible by car while providing access to basic food and accommodation.

Some may think this is too much trouble. I think the thrill of exploration and discovery is part of the fun.

Comment

Finding the site and getting there is one thing...I am beginning to find the right timing to fly in Bedok a challenge...when I am free there is no wind or wrong directions....been there a few time just try my luck...but have not add to the 1 flight experience i have so far.

To the point that I am beginning to fly my Heli again.

Comment

Bedok is not in season yet. Even if you check wingdguru for Cherating and Desaru, it is not consistent NE. This weekend does not look promising, but we're always hopeful! Don't just drive to Bedok unless you really just enjoy driving or gazing over the reservoir.

3 things you can check...
          Windguru for a so so prediction
          Check NOAA Changi for actual wind direction and 24 hr wind pattern
          Look at the trees and the direction the wind is blowing

Or call a friend...

See you on the slope soon!

Comment

skyrunner, yes the thrill of exploration and discovery is definitely part of the fun. sometimes i will open up google earth and explore, when travelling around, hills, slopes, trees, raised ground catches my eye and i will look at where it faces, wind direction. you dont actually need very steep hills or mountains, a row of trees will also do if the wind is consistant and from right direction, just need some imagination.

James is right, season not yet in, have patience good things must wait, best thing to do now is load your ammo, build/buy/assemble/repair/refurbish, when the season starts in full swing, you can then make full use of the wind to just fly and have enough models to last the season. you dont want to be repairing at home when the wind is howling outside.
            www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers
            www.facebook.com/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League

Comment

I saw a video of someone in Singapore sloping a weasel at the East Coast beach, just at the place where the land drops off to a tiny "cliff" of about 2 feet into the sand near the waters edge.

I thought that was very cool. Sloping on a tiny slope like that. Something I hope to be able to do in future.

For some reason, I can't find the video again.

Comment

Originally posted by JYHELI View Post
                Finding the site and getting there is one thing...I am beginning to find the right timing to fly in Bedok a challenge...when I am free there is no wind or wrong directions....been there a few time just try my luck...but have not add to the 1 flight experience i have so far.

To the point that I am beginning to fly my Heli again.
                you need a sailboat too. Victoria, anyone?
                "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Working...
                X