Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BR slope soaring etiquette

Hi All

Recent months there have been many posting on gliders and some have express interest in slope soaring. Please allow me to advise new slopers the do's and don'ts of flying on the slope.

As many of you guys know that no props or any form of propulsion are allowed on the slope. This is an agreement we have with Npark and strictly to be observed.

If you are new to sloping please speak to some of the more season guys (Joe Yap, Francis, Pang, Jonathon, James, Frank, myself) we more than happy to teach you so that you won't end up crashing or getting stuck on the trees. Remember slope gliders are very different from powered gliders. We rely heavily on the wind, wind direction and strength are very important, sometimes you can have wind but with a lot of air pockets.

There are many of us that flys very expensive composite models and they are not the off the shelves that you can get. Some takes 4 - 6 months for delivery. Therefore please don't clown around in the air. Airspace is not large and do call out what you intend to do (landing, slow passed....) so that others will give you space for what you want to do. 3 days of sloping and I have already seen 2 mid air crashes. We all want to enjoy flying, not repairing.

Have a sloping good time.

enjoy yourself, people!

have a good time = )
    "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Originally posted by chiadennis View Post
      Hi All
      ..There are many of us that flys very expensive composite models and they are not the off the shelves that you can get. Some takes 4 - 6 months for delivery. Therefore please don't clown around in the air. Airspace is not large and do call out what you intend to do (landing, slow passed....) so that others will give you space for what you want to do. 3 days of sloping and I have already seen 2 mid air crashes. We all want to enjoy flying, not repairing.
      good that you highlight this
      no ones want a mid air crashes, especially the composites flyers.

some may not know about the time and money spend on the composites.
      some may just be thinking of fly first, crash then say.
      but in fact, nothing much to say after a crash involved a composites.

most will just act blur and say sorry when they are told of the money part.
      for time part, no one can compensate. how to pay? for a queue/waiting time of 1 year for a plane to come.

so please dont have this fly first , crash then say mentality.
      treat every plane and every flight preciously

for me.. i play safe.
      i dont fly my compy when i dont feel safe to fly even when there are few planes in the air.
      no one will pay for a composite crash? say give me $3000 and you take the crashed compy? anyone

Comment

I just like to add, its not just about composites models, regardless of whether its composites, foamies or balsa, whether its cheap or expensive, the key point to remember is safety first. It doesn't mean if there is no composites or expensive models flying, we can anyhow fly. Respect the models, the place, the people around and take good care of your model and you will find much more fun and skill level increase.

Models if damaged we can always wait n buy again, but if somebody gets hit or injuried, that somebody maybe hurt for life and we may never have a chance to fly again in SG. This applies to all fields not just BR. So lets constantly remind each other that. If someone is flying dangerously or in a unsafe manner, please do go and tell him off nicely.
        www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers
        www.facebook.com/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League

Comment

Originally posted by Pang View Post
          I just like to add, its not just about composites models, regardless of whether its composites, foamies or balsa, whether its cheap or expensive, the key point to remember is safety first. It doesn't mean if there is no composites or expensive models flying, we can anyhow fly. Respect the models, the place, the people around and take good care of your model and you will find much more fun and skill level increase.

Models if damaged we can always wait n buy again, but if somebody gets hit or injuried, that somebody maybe hurt for life and we may never have a chance to fly again in SG. This applies to all fields not just BR. So lets constantly remind each other that. If someone is flying dangerously or in a unsafe manner, please do go and tell him off nicely.
          +1

SG Fr3ak League : www.facebook.com/#!/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League
          BR Slopers : www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers

Comment

It's excellent that we all agree on safety. Now let's try to take the next step and stop the unsafe practices when they happen.
            I am guilty of ignoring unsafe flying at Bedok a couple of years back,not saying anything as one pilot kept crashing his flying wing at the feet of pilots, behind the flight line etc more than 5 (10?) times in ONE afternoon.
            I didn't say anything at OHR when a guy was doing aggressive and complex aerobatics with his medium sized heli quite close to the fixed wing pilots.
            Neither did the other flyers around me.
            I did try to 'councel' some students at OHR who were obviously new to flying rc planes recently, unfortunately they just wanted to do their own thing...

So I'll try to speak up against unsafe flying next time... And i'll take comfort that all here will be doing the same... Right?

Comment

Originally posted by James Lee View Post
              It's excellent that we all agree on safety. Now let's try to take the next step and stop the unsafe practices when they happen.
              I am guilty of ignoring unsafe flying at Bedok a couple of years back,not saying anything as one pilot kept crashing his flying wing at the feet of pilots, behind the flight line etc more than 5 (10?) times in ONE afternoon.
              I didn't say anything at OHR when a guy was doing aggressive and complex aerobatics with his medium sized heli quite close to the fixed wing pilots.
              Neither did the other flyers around me.
              I did try to 'councel' some students at OHR who were obviously new to flying rc planes recently, unfortunately they just wanted to do their own thing...

So I'll try to speak up against unsafe flying next time... And i'll take comfort that all here will be doing the same... Right?
              Support you!

Comment

+10
                Do you feel the RUSH....!!!!

Comment

There are always pilots who think they are good and ignore safety, they don't realize this is not a toy, or they think they are walking into a toy shop but in fact it's a hobby shop. I've had ppl fly over my head, pull elevator in front of me, low pass near me etc so many times. Don't deny they can control the plane, but can they control ad hoc electronic failure? If the plane fly towards me and electronics fail before they can pull elevator i'm pretty sure they can go bankrupt.

Don't listen nevermind. Crash and injure other ppl until it gets so bad, our almighty gahment will step in and say all must go through test and certification then can fly. If not orh gong you until you no money to buy new plane when you crash.

Then everyone suck thumb and listen. It's amazing how much we do not know the game we have been playing all our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by legionx View Post

Don't listen nevermind. Crash and injure other ppl until it gets so bad, our almighty gahment will step in and say all must go through test and certification then can fly. If not orh gong you until you no money to buy new plane when you crash.

Then everyone suck thumb and listen. It's amazing how much we do not know the game we have been playing all our lives.
                    who is the fella! Quick! Tell me his nick. The next time I go to the field, I shall eat onion rings and fart in his direction.

curry puff also can
                    "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Just chiming in to support the whole safety issue. I don't fly gliders, well, not as much as EP, but used to stay at BR and jog there around the reservoir. Couple of times, while jogging past the hill, it always amazed me, and disrupted my jog pace (hehe) by the graceful soaring of the gliders. To those pilots who have a set plan and understand the wind, limitations and do a great job at it, I salute you for making it such a graceful sport. To those who disrupted my pace because the glider whizzed above my head,...***

Thing is,I have seen so many hobbyist (perhaps we need to redefine the word) never have a set plan/routine or pattern to fly their planes with. Less alone have any good control of it. Spoken to many about stall, thrust, expo and 90% of the time, with glared look on their faces. Most often with no response or just blame the plane. Warbirds are flown in one directional circle, some pull a roll/loop when the plane looks stable. I hardly see wingovers, cuban 8's, half cubans, etc etc,....Now if only these hobbyist, or self claimed RC experts, have such control of their planes, flying safe, within a smaller area is so much more possible. Then again, I wonder how many have heard of these terms??

Get a little too detailed in your explanation and it becomes an offence to their...ahem..koff* koff* vast experience. We are all having the same amout of fun, thrills, experience with the RC hobby in general. Sadly, the friendly, helpful part, is severely lacking in some areas. Hit a car, no scratch means no need to apologies...huh??? Fly over and within pit areas is very safe becos the plane is small, slow...what?? Fly over others heads is ok...cos the plane is high enough....WHAT?? Let the kids play with the Tx, prop, plane...Oh man!!I can go on forever.

I do hope and wish someday, everyone will understand that we are all learning, enjoying this hobby together! Makes no difference be it Heli, glider, warbirds, EDF, etc etc...it is still RC! I admire the States where indoor flying needs one to have chalked up some amount of flying first, the plane is restricted to a max size, and must have a rudder. I've seen vids of people getting exiled from the flying fields because they flew over the heads or pit area. Here in SG we don't have this...but these are basic safety rules to ensure everyone is happy. I guess the word 'sharing' is used wrongly? Friendships?

Lastly, to those who do practice this, I would love to meet you someday for some geek talk...lol! To those who don't agree with what I say...so be it. Even if we have large dedicated fields and areas to fly,....with such a mentality, it won't last. A close call, is not being safe...it meant it can and did happen! Results from such close calls should never be considered. Safety "the acceptability and tolerability of risk"...if these pilots accept (know) the risk, they need and must tolerate the results and accept the consequence. Don't hold the rails of an escalator and it stops...you fall and hurt your neck/back...you can't sue! One hand must be on the rails at all times!!

Stay safe everyone....the internet is filled with info. Read, understand and know more about how this hobby has been around for so long! What makes it fun and enjoyable.

It's been a long time since I visited BR....perhaps when soaring starts, I may pop in to say Hi to THE Pilots!! Cheers all...and just my 2c. Sorry for being long winded!

Comment

@timatworksg

Mostly agree, but I just wanted to add that it also helps if you don't condescend to the new fliers. I'm lucky to have had reasonable people talk to me if/when I screw up, but I have also been condescended to, and this completely switches off the rational part of my brain that would otherwise have listened to the other party. This happens a lot in my line of work, and I always try to remember what it is I want: do I just want to be right, or do I want to successfully persuade the other party to my side?

Aside from that, I don't entirely agree with the admiration of the 'States. People are people everywhere, and they have their share of problems with silly park flyers. It's slightly different for indoor venues because as a venue owner you can pretty much tell people who are in there at your pleasure to obey your rules or get out . Great incentive to listen.

And bro, we need to meet up and swap foam building tips!

@legionx

If I ever see something like that, I will make sure the fella is not leaving the area except in handcuffs. This will probably result in the flying field shutting down for some time, but causing injury to others due to recklessness is outright criminal and he ought to face the potential for some jail time.

Comment

@ rayonnair

Agree...yes people are people...and true, in the States and lotsa other countries, they pretty much have the same probs and issues as we do. Guess it gets a little more jumpy here with the lack of space and air to fly and enjoy the hobby. But if only, since we are all in the same hobby boat, everyone can come to some agreement when safety and longevity of any sport/hobby is needed. Alas there is only so much one can do to change the world...haha! No hard and fast rules per say, but if things do get outta hand, some authority, may take over to govern. On the bright side, I hear more chopped fingers, faces and toes in other countries than SG....so thats a plus!! LOL!

I don't mean to have sounded condescending, if it did. I have met many new fliers and had great conversations with them. Also to seasoned flyers as well. Once I was spotted to make a mistake by a newbie...which was great really!

And, with this forum, where lots of RC hobbyist chime in or visit, this thread, good or bad, is a primer and eye opener hopefully to make others think and plan ahead.

YEs...lemme know when your free. We can swap foam tips anytime. I'm trying to downsize my larger planes and stick to smaller scratchbuilds. Lack of time and soon space...so pre-empting the situation.

Comment

Thought I would revive this thread being the slope season is approaching and also reminding everybody Safety First!.

Comment

IMHO, feel that there are TOO many fliers and too many planes in the air at the same time.

This increase the risk of accidents. And accident does happen, even to those experienced fliers.

I saw some of the planes were flying at very high speed. Radio electronics has some inherent risk. Nobody knows when it is going to fail, even with the best maintenance.

Risk increases when too many fliers fly at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                              X