http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

SG Fr3ak League : www.facebook.com/#!/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League
    BR Slopers : www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers

Vary good. Thanks for sharing.
    Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

some times we ponder over this..

looking from plan view.
      i see weather report that typhoon turns counter-clock wise.
      i remember watching a dlg training video and see thermal bringing up some dust and it looks to me that it turn counter-clockwise too.

i am a counter-clockwise flyer.
      i fly with the thermal direction.

should we do clockwise or counter-clockwise in a thermal?
      it there a difference?

thanks!

Comment

got difference meh

sometimes, I do straight through, u turn, straight through again, u turn again

clockwise is more comfortable for me though.

sometimes I know something is in the general area I do figure 8s to detect

but I wont really know how I fare on a dlg.
        "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Hi Ronnie,

When in a thermal, circling clockwise or counter clockwise actually makes no difference. But being able to fly both ways is a good skill to have. This way you can immediately turn into a thermal wheather it is on the starboard or portside of the glider, instead of having to make a u-turn into the thermal.

Cheers,
          Adnan
          Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
          ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
          Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

Nice Video. Regarding thermal lift HERE's a good article that speaks about how thermals act. Basically due to what is called the Coriolis Force, thermals under really calm conditions will spin anticlockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern. Now I guess that bit of information really doesn't work for Singapore now does it. Regardless though, which hemisphere you are in does not mean thermals will not spin in the other direction. Wind and surrounding features near where the thermal was formed can cause it to spin in a different direction.

At least according to this article if one is gliding in the opposite direction of the spin, the natural tendencies of the thermal will be to pull you into the core, whereas if you are turning with the spin of the thermal it will tend to push you out.

-Jonathan
            Last edited by Twyl; 20-09-2012, 12:54 AM.

Comment

When in doubt which way to turn....follow the birds
              Do you feel the RUSH....!!!!

Comment

Hahaha.. I did..
                Thats why I do counter clockwise :p

Thanks for video and interesting article

Comment

Working...
                X