Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying DLG, need advice.

hi, my experience in RC is mostly EP balsa. however, wanted to try DLG. wonder if there is any recommended DLG for newbies like me in our singapore market or should i try to order from overseas. prefer at least with aileron, rudder and elevator. my building skills are also restricted to ARFs. thus, prefer a DLG that is simple to build. i do have a budget constrain, but if its really good, i dont mind stretching it. thank you.
    Controller: Spektrum DX6i
    Fix Wing: 3DHS Edge 540 41", World Models Zero Fighter EP.
    Rotary Wing: Align Trex450 Pro.

Hi Rayshaw,

It's always cool to see more people interested in DLGs. And really with a DLG, besides thermalling and flying at the limits of your eyesight, you can also get it to roll, snap roll, loop and fly inverted if you'd like.

The most readily available DLG locally and at a budget is the Topsky. There are many iterations; from the basic 1.0C to the super Topsky 2.0 and Disser wing Topsky 2.0. The 1.0 is the basic 1.5m DLG with fibre glass vacuum-bagged foam core wings. They're hardy enough, floaty and personally a good start to DLG. And there's always an option to upgrade to the Super Topsky 2.0 wings when you have outgrown the 1.0C wings, if the fuselage is still ok. Diving straight into the Topsky 2.0 is also an option. The 2.0 wings may be less floaty, but they penetrate the air much better so you can really range outfield and feel more confident of the glider getting back into your hands. So the choice of the glider will depend on the flight characteristics that you are looking for in the DLG.

Building the Topsky is a different ball game altogether when you're comparing it to ARFs. It's definitely more involved and will take a bit more time, mostly waiting for the epoxy to cure. Whatever glider you're thinking of getting, look through the build logs on RCG or here (which reminds me I still have to update the TS3 thread with more pictures).

There's also alot of other good DLGs out there overseas. The Blasters I think are the easiest ones to build. They're also floaty eventhough it's heavier. I personally like the Predator 2 from Taiwan. The finish on the wings are beautiful and price reasonably in my opinion. Alas, there are only limited sets left and a waiting period.

If you're interested in sniffing out thermals and specking out, do not feel that you're at a handicap with a entry-level DLG. Alot of the modern DLGs will thermal well. Entry-level DLGs are more floaty but usually launch lower than the higher end ones and may not move around as fast. There are some which launches high. Once you've learned how to sniff out thermals, it's all the same.

Warning: Shameless promotion ahead

Come over for the DLG contest on 2 Sep at Woodlands Dr 17. You'll be able to see different DLGs around and don't be afraid to approach the competitors. Contests are usually the best place to fast forward the learning curve. And there's always the DLG fun-flies every weekend

Cheers,
    Adnan
    Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
    ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
    Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

i've been looking around and basically this is what i gathered. if im going for topsky, there is super mini topsky (160), then there is topsky 1.0 (250) and super topsky 2.0 (350). for Vladimir's blaster, i have no idea who is carrying it in singapore, but the price is around 350euro which is around 550 sing. for predator 2, but there is no stock in taiwan website. finally there is fireworks 5 from APAC hobby which i think will be way out of budget for me.
      how is the 1m wingspan of super mini topsky compared to 1.5m wingspan of topsky 1.0/2.0?
      looking at the building manuals, i guess vladimir's blaster's manual is the easier to understand as compared to topsky. at the same time it doesnt involve too much epoxy i tink. but where can i order it from?
      do u recommend buying a second hand dlg that someone is willing to let go. try it first before investing in a brand new one?
      Controller: Spektrum DX6i
      Fix Wing: 3DHS Edge 540 41", World Models Zero Fighter EP.
      Rotary Wing: Align Trex450 Pro.

Comment

Best if you drop by the DLG fun-flies, some of them are kind enough to give you a spin on the dlgs. I used to let new guys have a go on my predator 2. Then you can get a feel to see if you like it. 2nd hand option if available is good as a start as it allows you to start flying straight away and you will know what to look out for when you build a new one.
        www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers
        www.facebook.com/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League

Comment

My thought for new DLG'ers... If you have friends/friendly-shops who are willing to let you practice some orinetation launches, take advantage of that and then buy your own 1.5m plane. Which model? The other replies have many suggestions...

The SMT has a noticeably poorer LD ratio compared to the 1.5m ships, but she will still thermal reasonably on a better day. I would stay away from the SMT unless you specifically want to fly a smaller ship. I will still keep my SMT for Bedok. Maybe try the East Coast...

Comment

If you can get a hold of a decent 1.5m second-hand DLG glider, that will be best as you can start flying almost immediately. Just make sure that everything is in good working order and nothing "bends" or "gives".

With regards to 1m ships, they're balls of fun but will not have the same performance and options as the 1.5m counterparts. If in the end you're planning to get a 1m DLG, may I suggest you get the ones with rudder and elevator controls. Without ailerons, the airflow over the wings remain clean and will generally generate better lift.

Regarding the Blasters, just Google it and it should lead you to where you wanna go.

To add on to James and Pang; yeah go on to any DLG fun-flys. Ask around for more info and look at the planes. It's always more fun with kakis.

Cheers,
            Adnan
            Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
            ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
            Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

2nd hand DLG market is not really available in Singapore (unfortnately). Chances are you'll probably need to get it new. If buiding it is your concern, there are a few builders that can help you.

My suggestion is to go for the Topsky models which is rather good for it's price. If you decide to get serious in DLG, you may then consider european kits.

Our usual funfly are at Tampines but recently the curse of BTO has claimed our last field. Hope that we can souce for a new location soon....

SG Fr3ak League : www.facebook.com/#!/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League
              BR Slopers : www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers

Comment

Oh... 1 more thing... do consider the 1.5m version instead of the minis....

SG Fr3ak League : www.facebook.com/#!/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League
                BR Slopers : www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers

Comment

Working...
                X