Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DLG Aero-towing using the "Velcro method"

Irony = displaying enough parking coupons on your dashboard but getting fined for littering when you throw the stubs on the floor

cool ... must try
    Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Originally posted by VinCopter View Post
      cool ... must try
      join us at ohr. we can tow each other and have more dlgs in the sky at one time
      Irony = displaying enough parking coupons on your dashboard but getting fined for littering when you throw the stubs on the floor

Comment

pixeldixel,

When is normally your DLG session at OHR?

SG Fr3ak League : www.facebook.com/#!/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League
        BR Slopers : www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers

Comment

Originally posted by sherchoo View Post
          pixeldixel,

When is normally your DLG session at OHR?
          We are there most saturdays n Sundays 3pm onwards. Most of us will have arrived by 4pm.

Comment

Originally posted by pixeldixel View Post

We are there most saturdays n Sundays 3pm onwards. Most of us will have arrived by 4pm.
            May dropby this sat around 4pm+

SG Fr3ak League : www.facebook.com/#!/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League
            BR Slopers : www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers

Comment

eh..
              how come the tow pilot became the dlg pilot at the end ah? :p

Comment

Originally posted by rt9 View Post
                eh..
                how come the tow pilot became the dlg pilot at the end ah? :p
                Because the dlg pilot was kind enough to let the tow pilot fly his dlg lo... :smile3:

they swapped "seats" while the camera was aimed at the sky

Comment

Aerotowing is a really fun thing to do, although a little challenging. Velcro method is the easiest way to setup for aerotowing. However, it is does not have very positive way to stay attached and be detached. To prevent premature release, try not to let the glider fly too high above the tug. However, if the tug plane climbs too steeply above the glider and slows down, it can lead the glider to a stall, which is very dangerous for both planes.

To release the glider positively, it'll be easier to put the tug plane into a shallow dive and pick up some additional airspeed. Once airspeed is increased, the glider pilot just need to pull up elevator to seperate the velcro. Having said that, saying is easier than done. Recently, I did aerotowing with my students with a foam flying wing. The velcro used apparently is too strong and the flying wing glider refuse to detach from the tow line even after a shallow dive. When I put the tug into a steeper dive, the next thing that happened was that the flying wing literally blew itself apart in the air. It's quite funny to see a 80 gram foam wing turned into confetti though.

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
                    Aerotowing is a really fun thing to do, although a little challenging. Velcro method is the easiest way to setup for aerotowing. However, it is does not have very positive way to stay attached and be detached. To prevent premature release, try not to let the glider fly too high above the tug. However, if the tug plane climbs too steeply above the glider and slows down, it can lead the glider to a stall, which is very dangerous for both planes.

To release the glider positively, it'll be easier to put the tug plane into a shallow dive and pick up some additional airspeed. Once airspeed is increased, the glider pilot just need to pull up elevator to seperate the velcro. Having said that, saying is easier than done. Recently, I did aerotowing with my students with a foam flying wing. The velcro used apparently is too strong and the flying wing glider refuse to detach from the tow line even after a shallow dive. When I put the tug into a steeper dive, the next thing that happened was that the flying wing literally blew itself apart in the air. It's quite funny to see a 80 gram foam wing turned into confetti though.
                    It was a lot of fun indeed. Got to know of the Velcro method when Sunstorm told me that you and Dennis Chia did some aero-towing using that method. I managed to find some information on that method on RCG and found it quite simple to do. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003420

In the video, Ronnie?s Blaster got prematurely released because he had forgotten to tape his nose cone to the fuse. We have had a number of successful releases (when the nose cone was taped of course) when the dlg pilot abruptly pulls up when there is enough airspeed.

In order to ease the release process, I guess it also depends on the amount of overlap you give on the Velcro surfaces. We found that an overlap of about 1cm X 1.5cm to 2cm was quite ideal ? where the bond was strong enough to tug the plane along; but yet allows for an easier separation. However, there were some occasions where we experienced prematurely releases due to sudden jerking of the line (especially during the launch). In addition, to aid the separation, a ?pyramid looking thing? (for the lack of a better term) was used to help keep the tow line in place as the glider pulls up. I saw a video of some guys using a shuttle cork for that purpose when using the Velcro method to tow an easy glider.

Attached Files

Comment

The amount of velcro overlap is dependant on the size of the glider. For Dennis's big flying wing, we overlap the velcro about 2". For the tiny foam flying wing, I only overlap the velcro by 1cm x 1cm and yet it refused to seperate.

Comment

Working...
                      X