Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wa Liao....I go to sleep to awake to this

Hallo....I did not acquire my current taste for planes as a newbie.....it evolved thanks to poison being spread.
    Just for kicks I will list my planes in time sequence as best I can rememeber. Back than Hobby Lobby was my favourinte store.

Training phase
    1. Piper Cub from Rotor Hobby....x 3. I crashed so many times that i had 3 of them until I could crash them no longer
    2. Thunderbolt. What was I thinking flying a lowing when I could not even manage a hi wing....well yoy know how that goes...did not survive 2 flights
    3.Scratched Built Telemaster from My flight instructor - He passed me his 20 year old 2m gas Hi wing plane and I electrified it. Flew many flights until it crashed on take off due to loose TX Module
    4. Speedy Sportster Low Wing - Given by Instructor, Electrified, flew quite a few flights and tipstalled on a sharp turn and spiralled down spectacularly.
    5. Sukhoi 3D plane......what was I thinking still........of course it died.

Intermediate phase
    Super Decathlon from Rotor 2M. Electrified it and realised not enuf ppower to take off. FInally powered it for flight and on 2nd flight, tuned CG to far back and rolled over like a susuki samurai on take off.
    Top Model STinger from Hobby Lobby.....My first taste of a Pylon racer....sold and died in a mid air collision during a friendly race.
    Another Pylon Racer from NESAIL...DOnt ever buy from them. This was one of the best planes I ever flew. My first full fibreglass planes.
    Great Planes Mustang - What a wonderful plane. She flew great until a crash. I happen to have a spare wing so I made the Mako
    Mako - frankenstiened from the great planes mustang wing and a DIY fuselage. Flew like a pylon racer and collided with my old Stinger That I sold to my friend
    Great Planes Siren. _ My first taste of the Hotliner screech. Died when I tried to thermal it at 3 m up. Took the wing tips and built an open canopy racer. Passed it to a friend for his flying practise.
    Bullit from Hobby Lobby. A very strong Speedy flying Wing. Gave it to a freind after I went "up yours" with my RW2B into his flying wing.
    Melissa: My home scratch built pylon racer. This bird lasted a long time until I decommsioned it. It was time to move on.
    Great planes electro streak- another sweet flyer.....sold

Advanced Phase
    Fat Boy.....Scratched built from unused foam cores from LOYN....flew well and trashed in bin as I had no space for it. And to keep the wife quiet.
    Tumeric from OK model.....Wonderful plane and flew many flights too....Sold.
    Demon F5D - My very first F5D.....flew many flights......SOLD...This plane taught me how to build a composite right.
    Jibe F5D - 2nd F5D....Flew many flights....Sold...I still have an old video of it.
    Raketenwirm 2B - #1 flew until it collided. #2 flew many flights....Sold...and crashed by third owner
    Mini Graphite - My 2nd glider after the RW2b. Sold and is still flying with Steve.
    Fvk bandit - wonderful plane on the redliner on 4s. Sold
    Fvk kamelot- thus plane was gorgeous to look at. But I crashed te plane on its maiden from a broken prop. Ripped the whole nose off. Anway it flies like a dog and it's design is very similar too some copies out there.

Back then, I think I flew less planes than some folks. Once I tasted good qulity planes in my advanced stage, coupled with improved flying skills. The planes lasted much much longer with no crashes. And than the joy of flying started to open up.

After that I stopped for 3 years.

Things I have learned

1. Dont fly a plane thats way too advanced for your flying skills. You will most likely crash it.
    2. Get the most reliable components in your plane. Crappy components waste time and effort and is not safe. Built it like you were going up into the plane yourself...with care and attention for detail
    3. Size your power train properly for the plane's flight envelope. Too much or too little does the plane no justice and wastes your effort.
    4. Practise Practise practise......10000 hours of practise is what you need to be really good at anything...
    5. Fly safe and be responsible.
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 15-05-2012, 10:57 AM.
    Do you feel the RUSH....!!!!

Comment

ok la man, just ribbing at you

yes, I've been on the same route.

now in the 'scratch built' phase

can't say it's advanced, maybe it is extended intermediate = p
      "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Hmmm........... Did you not poison us with a plane call "Bandit"?

Comment

Scratch building a good plane like your danio is advanced. The plane flies really well.
          That's the problem. ARF are so readily available now that it breeds the fast food mentality. Just buy eat and don't care what goes in the food. Crash just buy another one.
          A scratch builder is like mums cooking, lots of tender loving care and learning goes into it.

Build a plane like you are going to fly it. Not build a plane like you are going to crash it.

Comment

Bandit was poisoned by Fuse. I just brought the planes in

Comment

Hi Hawkeye ,

If you dont mind to recommend some, trainer 'fast planes' ? Yet not to hard on the wallet?

Tks alot
              Sanwa SD-10G!
              A better plane, engine , servos etc
              doesn't automatically make u a better pilot!! 

Comment

Originally posted by marzin View Post
                Hi Hawkeye ,

If you dont mind to recommend some, trainer 'fast planes' ? Yet not to hard on the wallet?

Tks alot
                gee, warbirds come to mind.

used to be GWS warbird was the first thing that we would graduate to after we've gotten the hang of our high winged planes and are confident with them.
                "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

If you are looking for glider type. Bandit is my favorite choice. Why?
                  It's strong, and has a big fuse you can expand your power train later.

For powered planes, a nice warbird. Great planes combat mustang, made for nitro but easily electrified. Very sweet flyer that flies like a pylon racer. Since its built for nitro, it's built strong.

Comment

Oops, my mistake.

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
                    Bandit was poisoned by Fuse. I just brought the planes in

Comment

And old girlfriend is back. I could not buy back my old girl so get new one and a little special version she is.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	972523
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	549.1 KB
ID:	972524

Comment

Exactly the color I asked Vladimir for, somehow that didn't get through him but I'm still happy with full neon top. he did it correctly because you sent pictures?

Comment

Yes. I showed him a design by sending him a file. He did it exactly.

Comment

nice, can show bottom ?

Comment

Is that a MG?

Nice colour ... made to order. I like.
                              Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Aiyo.. How to show you new girlfriend bottom? :p

Comment

Working...
                                X