• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing DLG Wing

Hi there,

My DLG wing getting some abrasion mark at the wing tip

Any tip on how to repair the damage?

Should i use micro balloon and epoxy to fill the gap, follow by a layer of thin FG cloth. Or I should use sponge to fill the gap.

Regards,
    Shaorong Chen

Work Work... More Work?

Hi

For me I will use thin CA first with kicker to fill up the gap n follow by medium CA with kicker, then use super fine sandpaper to shape at the contour area...

Comment

Not with std CA. most DLG are foam core and std ca will eat the foam. Use foam safe.

Comment

Don't use spooge unless you can airbrush color over it or dun care if there a patch of white on your CF.
        Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Hi Shaorong,

That really doesn't look that bad at all.

If there is is no delamination of the skin from the substrate and the damage is just superficial, I will not do anything to it. Any added weight to a wing tip is not desirable as it will just increase the wingtip inertia possibly giving bad thermal reads.

If there is minor damage to the tips, I'd go with Jackie's suggestion and just tack with CA then sand to reduce weight.

For a delaminated wing, use the smallest piece of fibre glass cloth possible, wrap around the delaminated area to bind them together and wick it with foam safe CA. Just ensure that you get the cloth is totally soaked. Then sand down.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
          Adnan
          Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
          ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
          Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

i will use fiber tape or scotch diamond tape :p

Comment

just a bit only

use a black marker to paint it over la
              "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Thank you all for advices.

I will patch it with FG tape from the bee2 build
                Work Work... More Work?

Comment

Thank you all.

I will patch it with FG tape from the bee2 build
                  Work Work... More Work?

Comment

The best solution for me, is to seal the opened damages with laminating epoxy resin. Just give a coat or 2 and polish it down to smooth after curing. Moisture ingrestion can deteriorate the fibres. Don't use microballoons.They will make it semi-porous and look ugly.

Comment

For those really fine scatches, or just to make your wings shiny, try autoglym polish. I use it on my Alliaj, very good effect. The resin polish harden / polish the surface. Good for most composites.

www.facebook.com/groups/BRslopers
                      www.facebook.com/groups/SG.Fr3aK.League

Comment

Just one word with Pangs tip - careful with Wax or silicones on bits that potentially need to be repaired. Once you wax a part, if you ever need to repair again, you'll need to re-prep the surface very well, often with an acetone wipe and sanding. Don't do it over a delaminated area or an unsealed surface. Otherwise, I'm an autoglym fan myself!!
                        sigpic
                        ... Why does everything I think I need always come with batteries?
                        John Mayer

Comment

Working...
                        X