Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catapault launched Glider

Hi guys i know this is a little off topic as mine is a catapault launched and not a RC airplane but i really need your expertise here.

I need to design a glider and i am most probably using balsa wood to do it. I need to have a minimum wingspan of 0.25m.

The launcher will sit on a table 700mm high and launch using power-band, stretch no more than 350mm. My glider is suppose to fly at least 12m and as straight as possible.

As i am a beginner in this, can you guys give me some tips of how to do it. Which aerofoil should i use? How should i design my glider?

Would appreciate it alot. Thanks!

Cheers~

Originally posted by natyxes View Post
    Hi guys i know this is a little off topic as mine is a catapault launched and not a RC airplane but i really need your expertise here.

I need to design a glider and i am most probably using balsa wood to do it. I need to have a minimum wingspan of 0.25m.

The launcher will sit on a table 700mm high and launch using power-band, stretch no more than 350mm. My glider is suppose to fly at least 12m and as straight as possible.

As i am a beginner in this, can you guys give me some tips of how to do it. Which aerofoil should i use? How should i design my glider?

Would appreciate it alot. Thanks!

Cheers~
    Launcher:
    I think quite easy. Use a bunch of thick rubber bands for tons of power. With launch power basically unlimited, you are free to design the aerofoil.
    'Glider':
    I suggest keep simple. Use a long rod for the body. Adjust CG for the characteristic u want. epoxy the 25cm fins on, add stabilizing rear fins and voila, a simple arrow that 'flies' quite fast easily whatever distance depending on your launch trajectory.
    Hanger
    Hirobo XRB SR Lama
    Hirobo Quark SRB
    Hirobo Quark SRB SG
    Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
    Blade450 3D
    MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
    COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
    Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
    FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
    Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
    HK FLYJET EDF
    Artech Skyfun
    Dynam P51D Mustang
    Parkzone P51

Tx:
    Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
    Spektrum DX6i
    DX8
    Futaba 9CAP

Comment

I am getting a feeling this is for SAFMC Cat B. Am i right?
      "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

I suppose you are in DARE in SP right? I have the same assignment, and right now, my most successful glider is a flying wing design with just a rounded leading edge and a blob of Plasticine at the nose. But range wise, it's pretty sucky, can barely hit 6m.

I'll need some help from the veterans here :3

Comment

Working...
        X