Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building glider - School assignment

Hi all,

I will have to build a glider which will be graded in a month time. I got few questions:
    1) What is the best material to be used for the fuselage and the wings.
    2) Where can i get them.

I am not allowed to use a pre-made wings so I have to source for my own material. And paper is not allowed. I was thinking of cardboard but afraid it might be too flimsy. Then, i thought of using a light wood(not sure of the name) but again I dont know if i can cut it out from a normal scissors/penknife or I have to use special cutting machine. The whole idea is to make a Simple and Cheap glider that can cover over a distance of at least 15m using the principles of Aeronautical Engineering Science which ive learned. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you and hope for your replies.

You could use balsa wood. That's the wood you're thinking of. Art Friend has a supply. Also available at NTC Hobbies that's in the Fok Hai building on South bridge road(there are many hobby stores in the Fook Hai building). Don't know what size glider you need to build ( what is the wing span?) but you probably want 1/16" sheet for wings and tail and 1/8" sheet for the fuselage. Will need a hobby knife to cut it.
    Could use foam. Sheets of "depron" foam are available at Art Friend. This is a thin white foam. Better to get the type that does not have a paper covering. Use 3mm sheet for wings and 5mm sheet for fuselage. Can cut with scissors but a hobby knife (Xacto type) would be a lot better.
    I'd stay away from cardboard as it is heavy and not stiff enough.
    Please ask any questions you have and you'll get your answers here.

-David-

Comment

Google it.

Hi lampard,

Try Googling "chuck glider", "hand launch glider", "HLG", etc. I tried chuck glider and immediately found useful reference material and images. If you've never built or seen such glider models, looking at other's successful designs can give you a starting point from which to plan and build your own.

Wish I was given such an assignment when I was schooling. Have Fun! :>
      ... It's in the Details... :>

Comment

Working...
      X