Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HoosierDaddy FF to R/C DLG conversion

Threw together this 36" span FF DLG in two nights. I converted it to R/C using the Spektrum 6400 brick (same as Vapor brick).
    Covered wing and tail in Japanese tissue applied using 1/2 strength Klear floor polish.Fuse boom is a recycled section of a fly rod that I broke when I fell into a pit while fishing in New Zealand. Was very lucky to walk away with only a broken fishing rod.
    Hinges on tail group are the old over and under style using lightweight silkspan.
    Had to improvise on the fuse pod. Used 1/32' ply for one side (the side that the brick is taped to and 1/64" ply for the other. Made wing removable for ease of transport.
    AUW is 105 gms. Plan says target wt is 85 gms. So not too bad considering the limited wood selection here in Singapore and that she is now R/C.

Plan is here:

Took her out last Sunday and was quite pleased. Launches straight as an arrow and no problems with control.
    Had one short session and then one servo the brick failed when I plugged in battery for another go. Smelled something fry. Gotta return it.

-David-

i saw this beauty flying last week.. ;)
    cool..

*with a nice fishing rod boom .. :p

Comment

U gave me ideas.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I've been flying this little gem quite a bit over the past 2 weekends and I gotta say it's a hoot. Had to replace the Vapor brick (it failed but not related to its use here) with a pair of 2.5gm servos and a voltage booster for a 1 cell E-Flite type battery. Needs a touch of nose wt (7.5gms) anyway.

It launches really well. Straight as an arrow and good height and this is with a sidearm fling. No need to do the discus spin. Might check launch height with an altimeter I have but last time I did this (with another DLG) I was sorely disappointed I wasn't getting the 120 foot launches some claim. Sometimes it's better not to know.

Anyway, for cost to smiles factor this plane is off the charts. Wood from leftovers box, recycled boom and cheapo servos. Can't beat it.

-David-

Comment

HossierDaddy...

Saw this at OHR today. Always nice to meet a scratchbuilt from this forum. Gosh it really is an odd little bird, Y-tail with (only one moving surface) and all! But sweet she is! I was wondering why the name was so oddly familiar... and only *just* got it : who's-yer-daddy
          sigpic
          ... Why does everything I think I need always come with batteries?
          John Mayer

Comment

A "Hoosier" is anyone from the U.S. State of Indiana. It's also the name of the University of Indiana's sports teams. We can assume that Mr Kimball, the designer, is a Hoosier.

-David-

Comment

Hey david, do you think it's possible to show us how you place the brick on the fuse? How you connect the rods and such? Just to give an idea on how to build it in the future.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

The brick was secured to fuse side with double sided foam tape. Same with the 2.5 gm servos that replaced brick when it failed.
                Control rods are .020" music wire. Guides are pieces of small diameter plastic tubing secured to boom with thread and CA.
                IMPORTANT to place guides on right side of boom as any flex during launch will cause right rudder deflection which is needed during launch anyway.
                Z bends at both ends and it is easiest to attach rods to tail and to servo BEFORE taping in servo. Servo can then be placed in fuse keeping everything nice and centered.
                Set up as is is pretty sloppy and could use more support of the flexy music wire but in the interest of weight saving it's good enough. Since I like to fly left to right circles anyway the slop is much less as this requires "pull" on the rudder.
                I like the look of the "Mercedes Emblem" tail. The movable control on only 1/2 of the "vee" tail seems to make no noticable difference in elevator control.

-David-

Comment

Working...
                X