Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Easy Glider around Simei Blk 155 area

At about 5.30 pm today, 18 May, my student (poor fellow!) lost his Easy Glider while the glider was flying over Simei Road blk 155 area. We were controlling from the field just behind the old Changkat School, at the end of Jalan Tiga Ratus. Suspect interference from some electrical equipment. Could be wind turbulence also.

Any bro or sis who might have seen whereabouts the glider came down, please pm or call me. We have searched till there was no more daylight to see anything but no luck.

My hand phone 96270045.

Also if you stay around the area appreciate if you could ask your neighbours too.

Appreciate very much your help.

David

glider recovered

i'm very happy to inform everyone that the lost glider has been located and retrieved. Thanks to all for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by DL8698
      i'm very happy to inform everyone that the lost glider has been located and retrieved. Thanks to all for your help.
      cool! was it retrieved in one piece?
      Irony = displaying enough parking coupons on your dashboard but getting fined for littering when you throw the stubs on the floor

Comment

can give map of where you were flying? I am curious about where are the suitable places in Sg you can fly. A number of suitable places I scouted has fencing and a sign saying 'STATE LAND'.
        Relax and Enjoy The Hobby.
        Note to self: Must stop buying too much stuff.

Comment

If you stay at pasir ris , and if you do not mind taking the trip down , you can pop by Tampines Ind Ave 5 on weekend mornings OR Tampines Bike Park (registered flying field)
          Helis
          Logo 500 3D

Once upon a time , there were frequency pins , flybars and nitros...

Comment

Originally posted by pixeldixel
            cool! was it retrieved in one piece?
            Yes, it was substantially unscathed except for a half crushed nose and a bent prop shaft. The rest of the glider was still in pristine condition, like new.

We lost it cos I, as the instructor, failed to exert more forcefulness in taking back the controls when I felt, it "looks like" he's losing control. All I did was kept asking him did he want to hand over controls. Finally, when I felt I had to grab back the controls, it was a bit too late, and before I could do much, it had gone behind a flat, out of view. Amazingly, it did a perfect right side up "autoland" on the roof of the flat behind, sustaining the only damage when it wedged its nose under a big block of concrete.

Boy, was he happy when we located the glider! This was only the second day he flew it since he built it, nicely painted with a colour scheme suggested by his two little kid, and, he was real depressed on the day of the loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Chen
              can give map of where you were flying? I am curious about where are the suitable places in Sg you can fly. A number of suitable places I scouted has fencing and a sign saying 'STATE LAND'.
              I'll try and post a map of the field I fly from, later. Meanwhile, to orientate you, this field is at the dead end side of Jalan Tiga Ratus and Meragi Terrace. So, if you get hold of any map showing these two roads, trace to the dead end side of these roads, and the field is there. There is a church across the road and Simei Green condo is also across the road.

There is also a sign here saying "State Land" but the sign also says recreational use of the land is allowed, and it is not fenced in. We have people doing all sorts of recreational activities here, such as, football, cricket, frisbee, "shouting"!, dogs pooing all over, golf practice, etc. It will be a real pity to lose this field to yet another "symbol of progress", ie another bunch of HDB flats. Hope no bidder makes the reserved price.

I do hope to see more neighbourhood RC'ers join me on this field.

Comment

David

Can I suggest you do not fly there.
                I feel that you are too close to residential area. There is a school beside the field. It a perfect recipe for accident. Join us at Ave 5 or PFW where we fly away from residential building.

Comment

Originally posted by chiadennis
                  David

Can I suggest you do not fly there.
                  I feel that you are too close to residential area. There is a school beside the field. It a perfect recipe for accident. Join us at Ave 5 or PFW where we fly away from residential building.
                  Yes, it's true residential areas are quite nearby. However, for flying thermals with gliders, I think it is actually more advantageous as thermals, which tend to form over concrete areas like roads, housing flats are therefore nearer and thus I need not fly too far away in order to catch thermals.

However, for learning, I guess I have to keep a closer watch on my student, and enforce the "no-fly zone" (the area over those flats) more strictly. I have previously told him to be very careful if he flies over those flats, so now I have emphasized to him that it is "off limits".

For powered flite, like my e-starter I think it's ok as the area req'd is rather small.

I see your point that if we lose control, due to any reason, not necessarily lack of flying skills, then an accident involving people and buildings will be very likely. Hopefully, this will not occur, and I am contemplating converting my radio to 2.4g to try and minimise chances of radio interference. At least reduce the risk by 1 factor, so left with mechanical failure, and of course flying ability.

I would like one day to join you at PFW, but problem is my car is most of the time running our "home taxi service", so have to find a suitable time when I can use my car for a few hours. By the way, can we fly at PFW on any day other than weekends?

Comment

Errr..... isn't it a bit close to Changi Airport?

Just thinking out loud here.....

Comment

Working...
                    X