Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-tail or T-tail

hi guys, was considering a glider to be my next plane, but which type of tail config will have more predictable characteristics? and difference between V-tail n T-tail. thanks!!
    -Ehawk 2000 Pro
    -Mouton 1600 EV
    -AMD micro chili
    -HK Kinetic800
    -SF Learjet45

The conventional or crucifix is the most predictable setup. The T-tail is developed for better ground clearance and also to stay clear of any disturbed air behind the wings and fuselage. The V-tail is mainly developed to save weight on the tail and could be quite unpredictable if you do not setup properly. However, if it's done properly, it can provide very positive pitch and yaw control. You'll need mixing though.

Comment

One seemingly unoticeable problem you may face is when the plane is in the air...I have flown 2 v tail planes and one seemed harder to see the orientation of the plane with reference to the V tail...

This has more to do with the size of the V tail than anything..
      T Tail planes are easier to see and gain reference of orientation no matter what size.

The other benefit of a V tail is that you can always have the rudder function mixed in assuming you use 1 servo for each surface. This allows you to perform a nice slow turn as flat as possible with minimal loss of height. For T Tail you need the rudder to be there.

Like Joe mentioned...V tails if not setup properly can cause you problems in pitch and yaw. A Bad T tail setup only causes problems in pitch.
      Do you feel the RUSH....!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye
        One seemingly unoticeable problem you may face is when the plane is in the air...I have flown 2 v tail planes and one seemed harder to see the orientation of the plane with reference to the V tail...

This has more to do with the size of the V tail than anything..
        T Tail planes are easier to see and gain reference of orientation no matter what size.

The other benefit of a V tail is that you can always have the rudder function mixed in assuming you use 1 servo for each surface. This allows you to perform a nice slow turn as flat as possible with minimal loss of height. For T Tail you need the rudder to be there.

Like Joe mentioned...V tails if not setup properly can cause you problems in pitch and yaw. A Bad T tail setup only causes problems in pitch.
        thanks!.
        was considerin the thuder tiger e Hawk 1400 and the Mouton Glider 1600V EP.
        any1 had try the any above 2?
        need ur feedback. thanks!
        -Ehawk 2000 Pro
        -Mouton 1600 EV
        -AMD micro chili
        -HK Kinetic800
        -SF Learjet45

Comment

I have flown the ehawk 1400 with 350 stock and 400 brush motor on 2s 2200mah. Longest flight 1 hour 10 minutes. Very good thermal soarer. On the 400 stock, it can do sustainable inverted flight. Most basic aerobatics except knife edge. I built my using two servo for the tail as ruddervators. Its still around. Hasnt flown it for a while. By the way this is a good aileron trainer. No nasty characteristic and floats forever.

Cheers.

Comment

T tail , V tail and conventional tail...like dicussing feline breed..

Anyway as much as I can remenber, T tail was design to clear the tail from downwash from the main wing, as such it can be smaller than conventional tail hence weight saving. However it is subceptable to dynamic deep stall with tail mounted engine..where the main wing stall at high angle of attack, the turbulent air stalls the engine and the T-tail. Loosing control and power!
            For RC T tail req vertical fin to be strong and rigid to carry the tail on top, As such the weight saving is negligible.

V-tail is weight savings. I have flown ehawk with it, besides a little hard to tell which side up when it is high, seem to work just fine. Had a bird with inverted V tail, also flew fine.

Cheers.

Comment

If you really want great value for money....And a glider that flies very well, very controllable at all speed range......and lands like a puppy....

Check out OK models "Tumeric"..... best flying glider for $315 inclusive of a Tamazo 2220 motor, spinner and 10x8 prop.....unlimited vertical with a 2200mah 3S pack.....When i first saw one fly...I knew I had to get one....

Her color scheme makes it very easy to see when its up there...

But what I like most about here is the way she handles....she is silky smooth in the turns and tracks like she is on rails.... build her well and she will provide very very satisfying flying for hours.

If you want to know more about the Mouton and E hawk 1400....PM me...
              Do you feel the RUSH....!!!!

Comment

I've a 2nd hand Mouton. 2217/20 on 11x7 folding prop and TP2100. Longest I tried was around 25mins in the air, with only about 1/2 the pack gone. Didn't try any acrobatics on it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Vortices
                  I have flown the ehawk 1400 with 350 stock and 400 brush motor on 2s 2200mah. Longest flight 1 hour 10 minutes. Very good thermal soarer. On the 400 stock, it can do sustainable inverted flight. Most basic aerobatics except knife edge. I built my using two servo for the tail as ruddervators. Its still around. Hasnt flown it for a while. By the way this is a good aileron trainer. No nasty characteristic and floats forever.

Cheers.
                  wow, 1hr10min means neck strained.. was thinking if i can fit a axi silver 2212/20 onto the e hawk w/o modification to the fuselage.
                  went down to rotor to check this beauty out, veri nicely built and veri light..
                  stil in decision..
                  -Ehawk 2000 Pro
                  -Mouton 1600 EV
                  -AMD micro chili
                  -HK Kinetic800
                  -SF Learjet45

Comment

Cheers.
                    wow, 1hr10min means neck strained.. was thinking if i can fit a axi silver 2212/20 onto the e hawk w/o modification to the fuselage.
                    went down to rotor to check this beauty out, veri nicely built and veri light..is it possible to use 2 servo on the aileron???
                    stil in decision..
                    -Ehawk 2000 Pro
                    -Mouton 1600 EV
                    -AMD micro chili
                    -HK Kinetic800
                    -SF Learjet45

Comment

Originally posted by $h@d0w
                      I've a 2nd hand Mouton. 2217/20 on 11x7 folding prop and TP2100. Longest I tried was around 25mins in the air, with only about 1/2 the pack gone. Didn't try any acrobatics on it though.
                      the mounton is quite heavy, am i rite? do u experience side stall?
                      -Ehawk 2000 Pro
                      -Mouton 1600 EV
                      -AMD micro chili
                      -HK Kinetic800
                      -SF Learjet45

Comment

T tail , V tail and conventional tail...like dicussing feline breed..

Anyway as much as I can remenber, T tail was design to clear the tail from downwash from the main wing, as such it can be smaller than conventional tail hence weight saving. However it is subceptable to dynamic deep stall with tail mounted engine..where the main wing stall at high angle of attack, the turbulent air stalls the engine and the T-tail. Loosing control and power!
                        For RC T tail req vertical fin to be strong and rigid to carry the tail on top, As such the weight saving is negligible.

V-tail is weight savings. I have flown ehawk with it, besides a little hard to tell which side up when it is high, seem to work just fine. Had a bird with inverted V tail, also flew fine.

Cheers.
                        im experiencing side stalls and tail stalls(not sure if its the right word) on my easyglider, does the T-tail play a part or is it bcoz the plane's banking angle is too great?

keep having crashes on my easyglider and most of it happen during a side stall, i cant seems to recover even with cut throttle and up-elevator
                        -Ehawk 2000 Pro
                        -Mouton 1600 EV
                        -AMD micro chili
                        -HK Kinetic800
                        -SF Learjet45

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye
                          If you really want great value for money....And a glider that flies very well, very controllable at all speed range......and lands like a puppy....

Check out OK models "Tumeric"..... best flying glider for $315 inclusive of a Tamazo 2220 motor, spinner and 10x8 prop.....unlimited vertical with a 2200mah 3S pack.....When i first saw one fly...I knew I had to get one....

Her color scheme makes it very easy to see when its up there...

But what I like most about here is the way she handles....she is silky smooth in the turns and tracks like she is on rails.... build her well and she will provide very very satisfying flying for hours.

If you want to know more about the Mouton and E hawk 1400....PM me...
                          can the wing of the turmeric be split for transport? or its fix 1.6m?..
                          -Ehawk 2000 Pro
                          -Mouton 1600 EV
                          -AMD micro chili
                          -HK Kinetic800
                          -SF Learjet45

Comment

Originally posted by Touch n Go
                            im experiencing side stalls and tail stalls(not sure if its the right word) on my easyglider, does the T-tail play a part or is it bcoz the plane's banking angle is too great?

keep having crashes on my easyglider and most of it happen during a side stall, i cant seems to recover even with cut throttle and up-elevator
                            That's funny. Something must be very wrong either on your rigging/setup or airframe as the Easyglider is the gentlest plane I ever flown. It's not even close to T-tail. It's just a standard crucifix tail.

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap
                              That's funny. Something must be very wrong either on your rigging/setup or airframe as the Easyglider is the gentlest plane I ever flown. It's not even close to T-tail. It's just a standard crucifix tail.
                              i guess sth is wrong on the airframe. however im givin it up as the fuselage is in S shape , seems hard to repair..

now in deciding on the e hawk 1400 or the turmeric
                              -Ehawk 2000 Pro
                              -Mouton 1600 EV
                              -AMD micro chili
                              -HK Kinetic800
                              -SF Learjet45

Comment

Working...
                              X