Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can one tell?

Touring cars can have a billion configurations and setup. So how can one tell what is the difference between one set up and another? I mean, the car is moving so fast, how do you actually see/measure the differences? Most times I just run stock set up.
    I can haz diving?

See which one feels easier to drive and faster for u la.

Comment

Originally posted by haowee
      See which one feels easier to drive and faster for u la.
      Hmm. So it's all subject to how it 'feels'?
      I can haz diving?

Comment

I think so.

Comment

If you just run with stock setup, you may be missing a lot, of course unless the stock setup fits your driving style so well that you dont have to tune it any better.

You tune the car to fit your driving style for a particular track, just like real F1 car, there are different setup for different track for a particular driver. How to determine the best setting then? The driver will have to test it buy going round the track while the computer records all the data for analysis later. You may remember seeing on TV race driver and engineer having discuss after test drive.

Ok. If you have the tendency to dive into turns and break hard, then you may want to adjust your ABS timing and breaking strength so that your car will not spin out while you do the hard breaking. There is no instrument to measure breaking force, but you can definitely tell buy the behavior of the car.

If you run at east coast track, the big sweep before driver stand is the fastest part of the track. You should be able to drive full throttle for the entire length of the sweep and pass the driver stand. If your car spin out on the sweep, then the car may not have enough grip, you may want to adjust the camber, spring tension, change to softer tire or even adjust the second gear engagement timing.

So you c, there is no need to take precise measurements of anything, the car will tell you every story. ...But you will need to record down the settings before every test run.

By the time I figured out the best settings for my car, they stop producting all the spare parts to make me buy new car, so I have given up racing altogether.

For Sale

CSM ICG400 Heading Lock Gyro+ ($160)
          (

Comment

Hmm. Ok. So I need to put in more track time. So far the only things I've fiddled with are toe, camber and ride height. The best out-of-box performance (i.e., car didn't do weird things) is the JRX-S.

I just can't get my car to go straight at full throttle. Is that pathetic or what?
            I can haz diving?

Comment

Originally posted by nightbreed

I just can't get my car to go straight at full throttle. Is that pathetic or what?
              There's always the 'steering trim'............
              For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

I did trim...but for some reason, my cars just don't seem to go straight. I envy those guys at the HPI Challenge the other day. Their cars actually go straight on the straightways.
                I can haz diving?

Comment

I did trim...but for some reason, my cars just don't seem to go straight. I envy those guys at the HPI Challenge the other day. Their cars actually go straight on the straightways.
                  Hmmm...must make sure the camber, toe is the same both side then. That call's for a setup system.
                  For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Armour
                    Hmmm...must make sure the camber, toe is the same both side then. That call's for a setup system.
                    ...which means spending money. But I have eyed the Hudy and Integy setup systems, though. Fairly bling and not cheap. Useful for me? Donno.
                    I can haz diving?

Comment

...which means spending money. But I have eyed the Hudy and Integy setup systems, though. Fairly bling and not cheap. Useful for me? Donno.
                      Ahbuthen? RC's not cheap you know...... I mean, if you start to dabble in pro machines, must tinker like a pro too mah.

Comment

Well, end of the day rc is business and those guys who make rc gimmicks are out there to make money. If you want to drive competitively and hav the budget, no harm trying out all the pro hopups and hopfully push your skills to greater heights.

But if you want to save as much as possible for retirement and other financial commitments, then do an assessment of yourself before spending, are you:

1. a talented driver who can do wonders with even very basic stock setup
                        2. a lousy driver who cant drive straight with the best hopups
                        3. a talented driver who can create miracles with the best hopups
                        4. an average driver who gain marginal improvement given the best hopups

For me, I sold all my cars, rc and non-rc, now I hitch a ride from Mad Armour

For Sale

CSM ICG400 Heading Lock Gyro+ ($160)
                        (

Comment

Heheh. I think I can be a merely average driver if I stop buying new cars and concentrate on driving the ones I have instead! Come to think of it, I don't really bother with hop-ups except motors.
                          I can haz diving?

Comment

Working...
                          X