Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RC cars - Their brands and the good and bad.

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC cars - Their brands and the good and bad.

Greetings,

Nice to see a local forum for the RC hobby.

I am quite new to the RC hobby. Use to do some study on it but has lost touch since many years.

I am not sure which of the current brands and chasis are compettative or more economical to operate. More common brand are like Tamiya (very old school name since my younger days), Kyosho (use to be the expensive and rarer brand), HPi, Traxxas & Haobao (new brands to me, the long lost).

I am in search of a battery operate car. Hopefully can get more infomation before i can jump into it.

Perhaps the old birds can share their view here to teach the newbie a lesson or two.

Thank you in advance.
    sigpic

Hi there, for a start,let us know whether you prefer off road or on road? If you have not decided, y not drop by Bottle Tree Park, there's 1 off road and 1 on road track there, and a crawler hill too.
    http://www.rcpics.net/member/Rca

Comment

Originally posted by Rcaddict View Post
      Hi there, for a start,let us know whether you prefer off road or on road? If you have not decided, y not drop by Bottle Tree Park, there's 1 off road and 1 on road track there, and a crawler hill too.
      Wow! Didn't know there is tracked. Nice place.

It is seems like off road buggies are not the IN thing like last time. Now more on track racing. I guess it is neater to house the kit bah... not much cleaning of dirt and dust. I am more keen on off road, SuperShot & Avante (all old school bugs) are my dream kits when i in the 90's.

Also looking for an track car kit so that i will not be alone. Off roaders look more tougher than track racer and more technical to play.As i am also keeping the budget real low to re-live this hobby, i am searching for the right balance of choices and kits available.

Let's make thing easier. Let says i am looking for track cars. What is the new and IN specs to look for? Understand Tamiya has many different chasis models like the TA series, TT series with chasis specs like 'R' for race, 'E' for standard, 'D' for drifting... wow! so many details.. can they make things as simple as last time?

Thanks in advance.
      sigpic

Comment

there's a compressor blower for you to clean your car at bottle tree track. So nd not worry bout ur buggy getting dirty.The popular choice now is kyosho zx5, i don't have this buggy but i've heard many recommending it.perhaps zx5 owners can give comments. ya I know bout the supershots n avante, beautiful buggies, but their handling can't compare with kits nowadays.

for on roads, i think the TA series is a good start in terms of price n tunability.if u dont mind used, check out rctech.net sg thread, shld be able to get a decent deal.

Comment

i used to play off road nitro (Kyosho Stadium Force)but now play on road electric (tAMIYA TT-01D).
          If you starting out and wnat something convenient that you can play anywhere anytime, better to go electric. trust me you will play an electric car alot more than nitro cuz it low maintenance and quieter.
          The Hangar:
          Trex 500 ESP (workhorse of the fleet)
          HoneyBee King 2(Decommisioned)
          Raptor 50 v2(nitro burning monster)
          Walkera 68b (storage)
          ST Models Cessna 182(given up repairing)
          All flown by a JR X3810

The Garage:
          Kyosho Stadium Force TR-15
          Tamiya TT-01D Silvia S15 (Selling!)
          KO PROPO EX-Master S Radio

i've got BLATF syndrome. Bad Luck At The Field.

Comment

I strongly agree of what you have mentioned. Battery powered car can be played anywhere, almost everywhere.

I have an old Kyosho Super 10 (retro machine with Max OS powerplant). To set up the run is a hassle! I don't drive, so i have big problem is 'PULLING' the cart around. To fire it up is another problem. As i dun have many friend playing nitro (many years ago) I play myself, self taught on how to set up the engine A/F ratio. After some tries i simply throw it into my storeroom and rot there. Brought out days back and the engine got ceased up, then got to make easing of the piston myself.

Later, thinking of playing back this hobby. But time and trend changes fast... No more Tamiya dominating market, 7.2V Nicad batt is not the main stream of racing 'fuel'. 8.4V was the highest spec when i left the hobby years back. Now Li-PO, Tamazho charger and balancer are the long for.

I am LOST ... so got to seek the IN-kids for advise.. Nice to have this forum and ppl like you guys ard to guide the newbies.
            Thanks.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rcaddict View Post
              there's a compressor blower for you to clean your car at bottle tree track. So nd not worry bout ur buggy getting dirty.The popular choice now is kyosho zx5, i don't have this buggy but i've heard many recommending it.perhaps zx5 owners can give comments. ya I know bout the supershots n avante, beautiful buggies, but their handling can't compare with kits nowadays.

for on roads, i think the TA series is a good start in terms of price n tunability.if u dont mind used, check out rctech.net sg thread, shld be able to get a decent deal.
              I wouldn't mind it's a used kit. My fave is to get a off roaders. Thanks for your info.
              sigpic

Comment

on or off rd

My fave is to get a off roaders
                Hi, What important thing is spares availability! trust me, look ard lhs 1st to see which brand and model u prefer and the parts ez to get fr lhs. otherwise u will need lots of time to wait for parts! that's what i thk. other may differ.
                Flying RC is like dating a girl...;)

Comment

That's true. Waiting for the parts from oversea can be a pain. Long waiting time and got to see of anyone is letting go their unwanted parts. It is seems like the buggy is not as hot as the track racer now. So parts availabity can be a big hitch to get the buggy.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Intruderx View Post
                    That's true. Waiting for the parts from oversea can be a pain. Long waiting time and got to see of anyone is letting go their unwanted parts. It is seems like the buggy is not as hot as the track racer now. So parts availabity can be a big hitch to get the buggy.
                    Nevertheless, parts are still available even if you have to get from the net. Back then where there is no internet, spares are heavily relied on shops and agents and remembering how my HotShot suspension broke and out of action for so long as there is no spares.

Nowadays, parts can reach us in a week from the web. Local agents also provides good support!

Comment

"Bad Experience" with Thunder Tiger

Hi,
                      Remember not to get chassis from Rotor hobby, especially "thunder tiger nitro"
                      I had this worst experience when my EK4 engine was out of tune "unable to start", and instead on a helping hand, the store keeper told me to get a new car, and replacement parts was out of the question, no longer bringing in.
                      This incident happened years ago, but just a gentle reminder to those who wished to start this r/c hobby, parts support is the most important aspect of all into buying a car

Thxs

Comment

Parts availability may be true but I find that many items can be bought overseas and can still be cheaper than local prices (inc shipping). I am happy ordering my parts fr US and HK.
                        Traxxas Rustler, Tamiya Wild Willy 2... So many toys, so little time

Comment

I have just gotten myself an used HPi Efirestorm with some strong hop ups like the aftermarket ESC and brushless motor.

Just nice when i was doing some searching on which car to get with off road cap and fun, went to HPi site to find a car that suits me, then the Efirestorm caught my attention on the way it runs, 2wd though, even call up TS to check. And just coincidentally saw this truck on RCtech price seems ok with parts that i desired. Make a quick deal and the nice seller even help me send to my place. Now the car is in my room after some off road cleanup.

Hope the parts can be easily available at TS.
                          sigpic

Comment

good for u I personally feel off road is more fun just higher maintenance.

Comment

ep offroad good idea
                              The Hangar:
                              Trex 500 ESP (workhorse of the fleet)
                              HoneyBee King 2(Decommisioned)
                              Raptor 50 v2(nitro burning monster)
                              Walkera 68b (storage)
                              ST Models Cessna 182(given up repairing)
                              All flown by a JR X3810

The Garage:
                              Kyosho Stadium Force TR-15
                              Tamiya TT-01D Silvia S15 (Selling!)
                              KO PROPO EX-Master S Radio

i've got BLATF syndrome. Bad Luck At The Field.

Comment

Working...
                              X