Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC Wheels Baking

Hi guys I just wanna share my experience in baking RC wheels to remove the tyre from the rims. Boiling works too but I find that baking works much better.

I now consider myself a pro in RC wheels baking

There are 2 important points to note while baking RC wheels:
    1. The set temp must be high enough to cause the breakdown of the CA glue.
    2. The set temp must not be too high such that the rims are warped or burnt.

After experimenting, I find that the temperature 150 degree celsius is the best. It does not burn or warp the plastic rims and it does its job well enough to seperate the tyre from the wheel cleanly. And also heating CA at 150 degree celsius causes little or no fumes (dun take my word for it - best to wear a mask or goggles to protect yourself). The downside to it is that you will need to preheat the oven and a longer baking time.

First you preheat the oven to 150 degree celsius. It is best to use both then upper and lower heating elements together with the circulation fan. The circulation fan will ensure that heat is well circulated within the oven so that there will be no hot spots cause by the heating elements. Once the temp in the oven reaches 150 degree celsius, place the wheels in, hex side downward onto a metal tray. The tray must be positioned such that the wheels should not be too close to either the upper or lower element. If not, the radiated heat will melt the tyre or rims. And plastics do catch fire so watch out. Safety comes first. Bake the wheels in the oven for 10 to 15 min depending on the size of the wheels being baked. 15 min worked best for my proline 1/2 inch offset dish wheels with bow tie tyres. Remove the wheels and pry the tyres from the rims one at a time. Do not use too much force or the rubber will be torn (be safe!!! ). If baked well, the tyres will come out easily as a whole and they will be reusable. If the rubber refuse to come out clean, bake them again for 5 to 10 min.

I've tried using higher temps but rims either got burnt or warped.

I've tried 200 degree celcius. Within 10 min, the rims got charred. But tyres are removed easily

175 degree celsius, the rims got warp and slightly discoloured. Tyres are removed easily.

So 150 degree celsius is the best if u want to reuse your rims.
    Modded Esavage + 4S lipo + KB45 2300KV + HW150A
    Brushless Esky Lama with dual swash
    Esky Dauphin
    Walkera Lama 2
    Walkera 5G6
    Sparrowhawk XB + 2S lipo + 60A brushless esc + 6000kv motor.
    Brushless Mini LST + single servo mod
    Brushless Micro-T

My wife will kill me if she sees these in the oven. Besides, at high temp, toxic chemicals may emit and stay in the oven. Thus do avoid this for the sake of ur family members...

CA (Super) glue can be removed by applying nail polish remover Not sure though if this substance will attack the other rubber/plastic parts.
    Traxxas Rustler, Tamiya Wild Willy 2... So many toys, so little time

Comment

Originally posted by WildWildWilly View Post
      My wife will kill me if she sees these in the oven. Besides, at high temp, toxic chemicals may emit and stay in the oven. Thus do avoid this for the sake of ur family members...

CA (Super) glue can be removed by applying nail polish remover Not sure though if this substance will attack the other rubber/plastic parts.
      Yah that's y choose 150 degree celsius dun really have smell then after that air the oven and clean it thoroughly. Run it again empty then air it again. Should be fine. U will be surprise how much deadly chemicals are contained in a bottle of mineral water. Or PVCs. just anything around us.
      Modded Esavage + 4S lipo + KB45 2300KV + HW150A
      Brushless Esky Lama with dual swash
      Esky Dauphin
      Walkera Lama 2
      Walkera 5G6
      Sparrowhawk XB + 2S lipo + 60A brushless esc + 6000kv motor.
      Brushless Mini LST + single servo mod
      Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Working...
      X