Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brushless Mini-LST with custom single servo conversion

Thought I will just share with you guys my custom mini lst single servo conversion.

This is my setup:

-3S 25C 1500mah lipo
    -5100KV 6T 380S (28x35mm) brushless motor from himodel & Yeah racing 380 Heatsink with 25T pinion - 1/18 xcelorin (22x35mm) 7400 KV brushless motor with

18T pinion
    -35A EZrun brushless esc by Tekmodel
    -Custom single servo setup
    -Stock for everything else

I used a HXT low profile servo and a 3Racing Aluminium Ball Bearing Steering Saver for the Mini Inferno in this conversion. Part of the chassis had to be

hacked off for this conversion. I had to design my own front bottom chassis plate so that I can fit the 3racing servo saver in. A plastic support plate

had to be added to secure the servo saver from the top as well as to act as the platform for the standard size servo. The standard size servo is attached

to the top support plate via 4 brass 10mm spacers. The steering links shown in the picture are GPM titanium turnbuckles but the stock turnbuckles can be

used. Now my mini lst can go straight. No more slope in the steering.

Total cost for single servo conversion: $49.

4 2x5mm cap screws $2
    3Racing servo saver for mini inferno $23
    Plastic sheet $4
    4 x 10mm spacer $1
    HXT low profile servo $19

The exotek single servo conversion (without servo) cost US$80 but it has carbon fiber chassic plates which makes the mini lst lighter.

I was running my mini lst with a xcelorin 1/18 7400KV (22x35mm 53g) brushless motor initially. It has surprisingly very good torque for its size. The

magnets used are very strong in this motor. With an 18T pinion, it was runnning at around 25mph (this is only a very rough gauge as I don't have a radar

gun) on smooth concrete ground. Very quick accerleration and pretty fast top speed. However it was running too hot for my liking. With the body shell on,

after making passes, doughnuts, braking hard for around 5 min, the motor got so hot that it almost burnt my finger when I touched it for a split second.

It was close to boiling hot I guess. 80 to 90 degree celsius perhaps. The heat wasn't so bad with the body shell off though. I need a a fan and a

heatsink I guess if I want to carry on using this motor. However looking at the power that this tiny motor motor can deliver, I will say that it will do

very well in lighter models. The mini lst weighs at around 978g with the 1/18 xcelorin motor.

Due to the fact that the xcelorin motor was like a little heater inside my mini lst, I sourced for a bigger motor and found the himodel 5100Kv (380S)

brushless motor. It has ventilation holes so it should run cooler. The diameter of the motor can is 28mm and so the minimum pinion size that works on the

stock spur gear is 25T (if you use a smaller pinion, the pinion teeth will not come into contact with the spur gear). Initial tests showed that this

motor has a lot of torque. If I rate the 1/18 7400kv xcelorin at 5, this motor will at least have a 8 or 9. In fact it has so much torque that it broke

my stock center differential that had no problem with the xcelorin motor. The himodel motor (98g) is alot heavier and that adds onto the weight of the

truck. I guess the increase in weight (over 1kg now) as well as the added torque caused the center diff to fail. Anyway, I modded the center diff by

hacking and fitting spider gears from the front/rear diff onto it. It is very clicky but at least it survives the himodel motor now.

You can see the size difference of the xcelorin motor and the himodel motor in one of the pictures.

I haven't got the chance to do speed runs yet. Only did quick acceleration and hard braking so far. Will update this thread once I do further testings.
    Modded Esavage + 4S lipo + KB45 2300KV + HW150A
    Brushless Esky Lama with dual swash
    Esky Dauphin
    Walkera Lama 2
    Walkera 5G6
    Sparrowhawk XB + 2S lipo + 60A brushless esc + 6000kv motor.
    Brushless Mini LST + single servo mod
    Brushless Micro-T

More pictures
    Esky Dauphin
    Walkera Lama 2
    Walkera 5G6
    Brushless Micro-T

Comment

2 more pictures to show the weight of the motors.
      Esky Dauphin
      Walkera Lama 2
      Walkera 5G6
      Brushless Micro-T

Comment

OK I've just tested my mini lst with the himodel motor.

Pros: The performance was simply great. Much faster acceleration, faster top speed compare to the xcelorin motor, faster response. Heat produced by this motor is lesser compared to the xcelorin I can hold my finger on the motor as long as I want to after a 5 min speed run + doughnuts + hard braking and acceleration. I had the heatsink removed during this tryout.

Cons: The front wheels get lifted up quite a bit till steering was slightly affected. The esc is slightly warmer. Around 40 degree celsius (rough gauge) it only felt warm.

Everything was going so well till the mini lst went onto tarred road and mounted a kerb. Something sounds weird and the minilst lost a lot of power all of a sudden. I tot one of the diffs went poof but it turned out that the motor in the himodel brushless motor has dislodged and is rotating around its shaft....@$@#%@@^#$ well it only cost PRICE(USD): $17.26. I will try to get it fixed.
        Esky Dauphin
        Walkera Lama 2
        Walkera 5G6
        Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Originally posted by LittleGiant View Post
          OK I've just tested my mini lst with the himodel motor.

Pros: The performance was simply great. Much faster acceleration, faster top speed compare to the xcelorin motor, faster response. Heat produced by this motor is lesser compared to the xcelorin I can hold my finger on the motor as long as I want to after a 5 min speed run + doughnuts + hard braking and acceleration. I had the heatsink removed during this tryout.

Cons: The front wheels get lifted up quite a bit till steering was slightly affected. The esc is slightly warmer. Around 40 degree celsius (rough gauge) it only felt warm.

Everything was going so well till the mini lst went onto tarred road and mounted a kerb. Something sounds weird and the minilst lost a lot of power all of a sudden. I tot one of the diffs went poof but it turned out that the motor in the himodel brushless motor has dislodged and is rotating around its shaft....@$@#%@@^#$ well it only cost PRICE(USD): $17.26. I will try to get it fixed.

Ok typo i meant the magnet has dislodged.
          Esky Dauphin
          Walkera Lama 2
          Walkera 5G6
          Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Managed to seperate the endbell from the body can. I tot that the motor construction was just like feigao motors where the endbells are simlpy pressed fitted onto the can. I was wrong. I tried to pull out the endbell with no success until I read the specification sheet that came along with the motor. It says that the endbells are screwed and glued on. I applied heat around one of the endbell with a mini butane torched and managed to twist it open with an anti-clockwise motion. Upon inspection, the magnet got disloged from the shaft because there simply wasn't enough glue to hold the magnet to the shaft. The glue used seems to be of pretty low quality too. Well made parts but poor assembly. I glued the magnet to the shaft using araldite steel filled epoxy and let it cured for 24 hours. Test run the mini lst for a few passes and it held up well. Will test it on road surface soon.
            Esky Dauphin
            Walkera Lama 2
            Walkera 5G6
            Brushless Micro-T

Comment

One more pic.
              Esky Dauphin
              Walkera Lama 2
              Walkera 5G6
              Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Some updates:

After a 10 min run (hard acceleration, hard braking, doughnuts, road humps) with the body shell on, my lipo got very warm. The himodel motor got hotter than before (but I can still put my finger on it for as long as I want to ). I find this weird as this didnt happen before. Upon close inspection, I realised that all 4 tires have partially seperated from their rims. No wonder there were weird slapping sounds when I ran the truck. The loose tires could be making the motor work harder. Will glue the tires back to their rims soon. By the way to those who are reading this thread, is there any lighter than stock wheels for the mini-lst? I know of the dish wheels that the mini-lst 2 is using. How do these wheels compare to the stock mini-lst wheels? Are they lighter?
                Esky Dauphin
                Walkera Lama 2
                Walkera 5G6
                Brushless Micro-T

Comment

sorry.. could not help u on ur inquiries..

but could u share with me where u bought 3Racing Aluminium Ball Bearing Steering Saver for mini inferno?
                  Im using Hitec HS81MG for my MI, by the way

I had broken 4 sets of servo horn so far... all broken after hitting the kerb/wall..
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by intrance View Post
                    sorry.. could not help u on ur inquiries..

but could u share with me where u bought 3Racing Aluminium Ball Bearing Steering Saver for mini inferno?
                    Im using Hitec HS81MG for my MI, by the way

I had broken 4 sets of servo horn so far... all broken after hitting the kerb/wall..
                    Hi, I think hobbybug has them. I modified part of the servo saver setup and used plastic parts for the link bar.
                    Esky Dauphin
                    Walkera Lama 2
                    Walkera 5G6
                    Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Originally posted by LittleGiant View Post
                      Hi, I think hobbybug has them. I modified part of the servo saver setup and used plastic parts for the link bar.
                      I got it from hobbybug. They probably still have it in stock.
                      Esky Dauphin
                      Walkera Lama 2
                      Walkera 5G6
                      Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Working...
                      X