Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New project...

Thought I'd start this thread to share my project.

Here's what I've been working on in the little spare time I have...

not finished yet.

It's a custom modification of a Losi XXX buggy. Just playing around with some ideas and at the same time picking up the basics of CNC.

Many thanks to HZM for his help in getting me started in CNC.

sweet!
    for sale

Comment

Your CNC miling machine can do 3D?
      Modded Esavage + 4S lipo + KB45 2300KV + HW150A
      Brushless Esky Lama with dual swash
      Esky Dauphin
      Walkera Lama 2
      Walkera 5G6
      Sparrowhawk XB + 2S lipo + 60A brushless esc + 6000kv motor.
      Brushless Mini LST + single servo mod
      Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Originally posted by LittleGiant
        Your CNC miling machine can do 3D?
        The CNC is capable of 3-axis machining but I'm still a relative newbie so what you see here is all 2-axis work. The aluminum brace was more challenging to mill as I had to figure out how to clamp the piece while milling it. The other FRP pieces were easier.

Cutting these parts with CNC is a lot faster. The top brace took me a total of about 1.5 hrs on the computer working out the design only about 15 mins to drill and cut out.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodClod
          The CNC is capable of 3-axis machining but I'm still a relative newbie so what you see here is all 2-axis work. The aluminum brace was more challenging to mill as I had to figure out how to clamp the piece while milling it. The other FRP pieces were easier.

Cutting these parts with CNC is a lot faster. The top brace took me a total of about 1.5 hrs on the computer working out the design only about 15 mins to drill and cut out.
          yes, clamping the work on the mill is always a challenge. If we could over come tis we would be designing our own kit

Good thing abt CNC is that once u have it done u could do it over and over again effortless. I'm still trying to save enough for it

Comment

Originally posted by BloodClod

3 Axis means 3D loh.

Wahh how much did u pay for it? Issit set up in 3 axis?
            Modded Esavage + 4S lipo + KB45 2300KV + HW150A
            Brushless Esky Lama with dual swash
            Esky Dauphin
            Walkera Lama 2
            Walkera 5G6
            Sparrowhawk XB + 2S lipo + 60A brushless esc + 6000kv motor.
            Brushless Mini LST + single servo mod
            Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Originally posted by LittleGiant
              3 Axis means 3D loh.

Wahh how much did u pay for it? Issit set up in 3 axis?
              er... I'm no expert but that's not necessarily the case. CNC setup also depends on the software.

Currently the software is capable of 2.5D... which means the Z-axis is only capable of cutting simple cuts. The slightly more complex curve cutting is handled on the x and y axis.

HZM, please correct me if I got that wrong.

Can't remember how much I paid for everything liao... bought most of the stuff separately and assembled it together. HZM provided me a lot of help on the stuff to get and how to get started. Drop him a PM if you want more info on that.

I'll post a pic of the setup when I get the chance.

Comment

Ohhhh... Bloodclod don mention , glad you finally made your first part nice little CNC part you had there

Can see the finishing pretty nice Get us more pics, I need to speed up mine

BC setup is a full 3 Axis / 3D setup. Like he correctly mentioned, currently his application is limited to the software he is running - Sheetcam which is a 2.5D

To achieve full 3D capability, you need to have a software to generate 3D G-Code

Envy .....

Comment

Originally posted by HZM
                  Ohhhh... Bloodclod don mention , glad you finally made your first part nice little CNC part you had there

Can see the finishing pretty nice Get us more pics, I need to speed up mine

BC setup is a full 3 Axis / 3D setup. Like he correctly mentioned, currently his application is limited to the software he is running - Sheetcam which is a 2.5D

To achieve full 3D capability, you need to have a software to generate 3D G-Code

Envy .....

like this?

Comment

yep yep that one is good.
                    Very good support from the international users.

Comment

any videos of your cnc cutting?

lets share some clamping methods. It is the greatest problem when it comes to CNC

Comment

okay... manage to mill two battery hold downs today...

here's how they look on the car.

Best part is... these were designed and cut all during my little girls naptime.... just over an hour. CNC - the essential parents tool!

Comment

Originally posted by genexis
                          any videos of your cnc cutting?

lets share some clamping methods. It is the greatest problem when it comes to CNC
                          no videos yet... all this work is done mostly in the little spare time I have so didn't have time to setup video.

Will try though.

Yes, clamping is the biggest puzzle whenever designing or cutting any parts. For the center metal brace I designed the part with portions uncut by CNC... then milled these out and finished them by hand.

The FRP parts are like how I saw you cut your heli fins... run program 1 to drill holes, then I use a dremel to deepen the holes to screw the piece down. Then run program 2 to mill out the shape.

Any tips?

Comment

From the looks of your shape, i guess thats the most standard method already.

1) cut/drill the holes
                            2) Pause program, clamp the stock down using those holes
                            3) Continue with cutting with you make a pizza. (provided u have a vacuum system because FRP is very veyr bad for health)

Comment

btw, whats your cutting parameters?

Mine is:

Cutting bid: 3mm solid carbide 2 flute
                              Feedrate: 100
                              Depth: 2mm per pass

Comment

Working...
                              X