Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP1 T15 engine replacement

Hi Friends
    I have just got a used HP1 MT2 truck with a T-15 engine. It ran well on normal fuel [80% methanol and 20% castor, without nitro-methane]. After a while, it was difficult to start. I had a blown plug [OS #8]. Switching to an OS #3 plug, the engine refused to kick. Then I switched to an unknown brand, the engine started but no amount of tuning will rev it up. The mixture remained rich. Moments later, the engine stopped suddenly, what sounded like a 'clunk'. On stripping the engine down, I found a damaged con-rod. In another forum, reports are that the T-15 engine has poor metallurgy properties in the con-rod, which damages easily. Has anyone a similar experience with damaged T-15 engine? This engine can be bought new at US$ 65 complete with pull starter from the US.

I am thinking of replacing it with an OS 18 CV-RX. Is this easily done? Do I need anything else other than the mounting blocks? I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
    Dal

Originally posted by dal
    Hi Friends
    I have just got a used HP1 MT2 truck with a T-15 engine. It ran well on normal fuel [80% methanol and 20% castor, without nitro-methane]. After a while, it was difficult to start. I had a blown plug [OS #8]. Switching to an OS #3 plug, the engine refused to kick. Then I switched to an unknown brand, the engine started but no amount of tuning will rev it up. The mixture remained rich. Moments later, the engine stopped suddenly, what sounded like a 'clunk'. On stripping the engine down, I found a damaged con-rod. In another forum, reports are that the T-15 engine has poor metallurgy properties in the con-rod, which damages easily. Has anyone a similar experience with damaged T-15 engine? This engine can be bought new at US$ 65 complete with pull starter from the US.

I am thinking of replacing it with an OS 18 CV-RX. Is this easily done? Do I need anything else other than the mounting blocks? I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
    Dal
    I always thought the proper fuel to run these engines is nitro?

As for the OS 18 CV-RX, as long as it fits your engine mount, it should fit. Just get the correct type of shaft.
    For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

I took the damaged HPI T-15 engine apart. Had to bake it in the oven for 180 deg C before I could remove the cylinder lining. My assessment of the engine failure is caused by a very worn engine. With this experience, I will no longer buy another used car / engine unless I know the owner very well. I have since installed a new OS 18 CVR and the car runs well now.

Comment

Working...
      X