X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midnight Pumpkin (LiPo recommendation)

hi folks,
    Need some advise, I'm new to cars.

I just bought a RTR Midnight Pumpkin - Metallic Special-2WD and it comes with 540 stock motor and electronic speed controller (TEU-101 BK). I also bought a 1900MAH (NIMH) rechargable battery recommended by the same shop.

Qns, what is the "C" for this battery? I don't see any info on this battery and also did some searching on the net, cannot find anything regarding this.

If I wish to upgrade it with lipo, what kinda battery can I look at or what current is it drawing? There is instruction on the ESC and stated 60A (Burst), does it really draw some much ?

Thx in advance.

Originally posted by ...Kk...
    hi folks,

I just bought a RTR Midnight Pumpkin - Metallic Special-2WD and it comes with 540 stock motor and electronic speed controller (TEU-101 BK). I also bought a 1900MAH (NIMH) rechargable battery recommended by the same shop.

Qns, what is the "C" for this battery? I don't see any info on this battery and also did some searching on the net, cannot find anything regarding this.

If I wish to upgrade it with lipo, what kinda battery can I look at or what current is it drawing? There is instruction on the ESC and stated 60A (Burst), does it really draw some much ?

Thx in advance.
    Yo, i am new to this as well. However i think i might be able to help with questions to the battery.

I think there is no such thing as many 'C' NiMH can take. Basically, you can just run and push until the car is completely not moving. After that let the batt cool down 1st before handling it and send it for charging.

As for upgrading to Lipo, it is extremely important for you to know how much Amps is your single 550 motor is drawing. Only by know that using a Multi meter, amp meter, WatsUp meter etc, then will you be able to select the correct Lipo for your RC cars.

So far, the only recommended Lipo that will be able to handle RC cars would be, the FlightPower TrakPower 4900mAh 2S Lipo. However they arenot cheap.

For cars on stock motors, it is always recommended to run 2 cell Lipos only.

Cheers
    Cool

Comment

hi coolmx,
      thx for sharing.

Then what is the current a Nimh will deliver? Can I based on the ESC to determine the maximum current it can draw so that I can choose the correct lipo?

like, ESC have 60A (Burst) so need to choose those lipo (eg: Evo 3300MAH with 20C), that can deliver at least 50-60A. In this case, Evo can deliver 66A continous so should be able to handle, right?

Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Thx again.

Originally posted by CoolMX
      Yo, i am new to this as well. However i think i might be able to help with questions to the battery.

I think there is no such thing as many 'C' NiMH can take. Basically, you can just run and push until the car is completely not moving. After that let the batt cool down 1st before handling it and send it for charging.

As for upgrading to Lipo, it is extremely important for you to know how much Amps is your single 550 motor is drawing. Only by know that using a Multi meter, amp meter, WatsUp meter etc, then will you be able to select the correct Lipo for your RC cars.

So far, the only recommended Lipo that will be able to handle RC cars would be, the FlightPower TrakPower 4900mAh 2S Lipo. However they arenot cheap.

For cars on stock motors, it is always recommended to run 2 cell Lipos only.

Cheers
      Cool

Comment

hi coolmx,
        thx for sharing.

Then what is the current a Nimh will deliver? Can I based on the ESC to determine the maximum current it can draw so that I can choose the correct lipo?

like, ESC have 60A (Burst) so need to choose those lipo (eg: Evo 3300MAH with 20C), that can deliver at least 50-60A. In this case, Evo can deliver 66A continous so should be able to handle, right?

Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Thx again.
        Wow! I suppose you can. However what is max Amp that ESC can take at burst? I suppose if this is what you are looking at then might as well just get yourself a 5000mAh 2 Cell. confirm will not damage the Lipo from the stock setup. hee hee

Comment

tats why like to find out what amp the Ansmann 1900MAH is delivering. No point getting such big battery and wasting $$$$.

60A a bit too much liao ...

thx anyway ...

Wow! I suppose you can. However what is max Amp that ESC can take at burst? I suppose if this is what you are looking at then might as well just get yourself a 5000mAh 2 Cell. confirm will not damage the Lipo from the stock setup. hee hee

Comment

tats why like to find out what amp the Ansmann 1900MAH is delivering. No point getting such big battery and wasting $$$$.

60A a bit too much liao ...

thx anyway ...
            Hmmm, come meet us at Bedok Reservoir field during the weekend. We will use a multimeter to help you check your current draw.

Cheers

Comment

thx bro, will drop-by one if this day....

Hmmm, come meet us at Bedok Reservoir field during the weekend. We will use a multimeter to help you check your current draw.

Cheers

Comment

thx bro, will drop-by one of this day....

Cheers

Comment

hi folks,

Thx in advance.
                  So far, I've not heard any ppl talking about 'C' for NiCd and NiMh. The higher the capacity, the longer the running time.

'C' is only important for LiPo which for reason I don't understand, is intimately related to it's capacity.

So far, I've used these 2 LiPos successfully on my EP.

1) Hyperion LiteStorm 3700mAh 20C 2S1P.
                  2) Kokam 3200mAh 20C 2S1P.

IMO, when selecting LiPo for car, the higher the discharge rate, the better. You'll also have to get a LiPo that fits into the batt tray.

My Kokam is exactly the length of a 6-cell pack, so it fits all my EP car that uses stick pack or side-by-side pack. The LiteStorm is a wee bit longer so I can't fit it in some car, like the E-Zilla.

Cheers!
                  For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

hi Mad Armour,
                    Thx bro, thats the kind of figure I'm looking for . Can share the cost and where you got it?

thx again

Originally posted by Mad Armour
                    So far, I've not heard any ppl talking about 'C' for NiCd and NiMh. The higher the capacity, the longer the running time.

'C' is only important for LiPo which for reason I don't understand, is intimately related to it's capacity.

So far, I've used these 2 LiPos successfully on my EP.

IMO, when selecting LiPo for car, the higher the discharge rate, the better. You'll also have to get a LiPo that fits into the batt tray.

My Kokam is exactly the length of a 6-cell pack, so it fits all my EP car that uses stick pack or side-by-side pack. The LiteStorm is a wee bit longer so I can't fit it in some car, like the E-Zilla.

Cheers!

Comment

1 important note

There's an important note I would like to highlight.

Using the wattmeter to measure the amps.

In aircrafts, AMP draw is the highest when we usually measure it with the craft stationary. When in flight, the amp draw will reduce with the increase in airflow. Thus, it's safe to determine the amp draw.

However, in Cars, amp draw will increase when the car is loaded (running on the ground) compared to checking it with wheels in the air.

Hope this helps.
                      72.790 MHz

Comment

hi Mad Armour,
                        Thx bro, thats the kind of figure I'm looking for . Can share the cost and where you got it?

thx again
                        1) Hyperion LiteStorm 3700mAh 20C 2S1P - USD$86 from BPP.
                        2) Kokam 3200mAh 20C 2S1P - can buy from SHS. Dunno how much.
                        For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

thx bro . mayb wait for BPP to go on sale again.

Originally posted by Mad Armour
                          1) Hyperion LiteStorm 3700mAh 20C 2S1P - USD$86 from BPP.
                          2) Kokam 3200mAh 20C 2S1P - can buy from SHS. Dunno how much.

Comment

indeed, thx a lot for the in-sight. Didn't really think about this, quite interesting.

Originally posted by rc1q2w3e4r
                            There's an important note I would like to highlight.

Using the wattmeter to measure the amps.

In aircrafts, AMP draw is the highest when we usually measure it with the craft stationary. When in flight, the amp draw will reduce with the increase in airflow. Thus, it's safe to determine the amp draw.

However, in Cars, amp draw will increase when the car is loaded (running on the ground) compared to checking it with wheels in the air.

Hope this helps.

Comment

thx bro . mayb wait for BPP to go on sale again.
                              Wise decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X