Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fibre Glass Techniques?

Hi,

I am interested in learning how to fibre glass a hull out of a mould..
    Therefore, I need info on what is required and techniques.

Can anyone share his experience and knowledge?? Or post any webbie for beginners?

Any help will be appreciated!!

try

Comment

are you using a male or female mould to do your moulding?

the general things you need are:

1) light/medium fibreglass cloth at ntc, 8.50 per pack.
      2) finishing epoxy, 20+ (the resin used in the thread posted by genexis is too soft according to master stuka)
      3) liquid mold release from ntc... not sure whether they have stocks now, can try asking. if not, can try mold release wax from shs, not sure whether they have stock also, i seemed to have bought the last tub from them abt 1 month ago.
      4) sandpaper to smoothen the surface to be replicated
      5) denatured alcohol to clean the surface

for molding using a male part, thats probably all you need. u will need to sand down the surface first, clean it with denatured alcohol, apply mold release, then lay on the glass cloth and use finishing epoxy on it. the method of applying is about the same as described in the thread posted by genexis. u just need to plan how to divide up the parts for easy removal and joining later on. for medium fibreglass cloth (2oz i think), u probably need at least 2 layers and for light cloth (3/4oz), u probably need many many layers (not sure how many, mebbi 5 or 6?). u will need to wait for layers to dry sufficiently between layers before laying on the next.

for moulding using a female mould, u probably need rtv silicone (rather expensive i think) or plaster i think, not very sure abt this. get a box, sand down the surface of the male part, clean with denatured alcohol, apply mold release, then pour the silicone or plaster into the box. mold the male part in 2 halves, then insert half of the male part (in watever orientation you want to split the part), then wait for the silicone/plaster to harden. then apply somemore mold release on the surface of the hardened silicone/plaster (not sure whether this is needed, but juz in case lar!) and pour more silicone/plaster to desired level. after it hardens, u got ur female mould, and can start glassing it like the male part moulding.

note: i never tried out the female moulding method, its only what i have read from the net in the search for ways to do fibreglass moulding using a male part. i did do wat i typed for the male part and it works rather well with 2 layers of medium cloth, though i would need some balsa reinforcement for it as it is not rigid.

any experts please addon or correct anything i said wrongly
      i got my honeybee and glider

Comment

Hi thanks, Dareaper..

I am in fact thinking of making a male mould den make a fibreglass hull out of it. I at least now have a rough idea and know what is required..

Wat bothers me now is how you apply the epoxy resin on? From wat I understand there is a resin and a hardener. which first? the right procedure?

Comment

Thanks genexis..

Comment

u mix the epoxy together separately before applying it on the cloth, and dun mix alot at one time, it will get very hot!
            i got my honeybee and glider

Comment

Hi, I have a lab doing that. I mean I'm in the PCB industry which uses fiber glass. Call me I may of help. At the same time, I am actually planning to work on making heli scale body. Anybody interest and can offer help can call me too.

HP 81390361

Comment

Originally posted by Richard
                Hi thanks, Dareaper..

I am in fact thinking of making a male mould den make a fibreglass hull out of it.
                If you use a male mould, you'll end up with a hull with rough surface and will be a nightmare to sand. Use female mould, your job will be easier. Inside not smooth is not a problem.
                For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

Mad armour,

Male mould should be easy to make.. so i think male mould is the best..
                  What I dun understand, you say it will be rough.. But from what i read, using the talcum powder method it will smooth..

If female mould, the mould will be difficult to make rite compared to male mould?

Pls correct me if there is any wrong to wat i think.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard
                    Mad armour,

Male mould should be easy to make.. so i think male mould is the best..
                    What I dun understand, you say it will be rough.. But from what i read, using the talcum powder method it will smooth..

If female mould, the mould will be difficult to make rite compared to male mould?

Pls correct me if there is any wrong to wat i think.
                    Male mould is of course easier to make. It's also easier for you to lay the fiberglass too. OK, to tell you the truth, I've not done any fiberglassing nor make mould before, so it's just my opinion. You can use talcum powder/micro balloons to smoothen things out but it must be real smooth, coz it's the surface that's in contact with water.
                    For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

Hi Guys,

How are u going to mould the chines if you use a male mould? Secondly, it is quite difficult to control the surface flatness.

My 2 sense worth.

Comment

I was thinking of experimenting with fibreglassing your own hull.. As fibreglass can make very nice curves..

I think the outer most layer will be painted at least 3 layers after the final coat of resin as weight is not a concern in this matter.

Rgds
                        Richard

Comment

Working...
                        X