Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody into hovercaft

Just like to know anybody are into RC hovercaft. It can be DIY, toy, or modify from toy.

Loyn, I built one in secondary school with 2 cox 049. Start with a nice foam box from the market.
    Do you feel the RUSH....!!!!

Comment

As usual, I only like scale boat, so working to convert a 1/72 scale LCAC into RC. Since my hovercraft skirt is a hard rubber in inflated mode, my kit is more airboat than a hovercraft. The challenge is getting it airborne to move and over solid ground and water.

Here's my build log http://http://www.rcgroups.com/forum....php?t=1475964

Comment

taiyo

I owned a Taiyo hovercraft. But it skirt is teared. No replacement can be found. Tot want to convert it to air boat someday with swimboard when my mood is there. Hehehe...
        Flying RC is like dating a girl...;)

Comment

This is the toy I am working on now, on sale for $39.9 not bad for the size and quality.

already replace the fan with ESC instead of the on off control, also on off control over the main fan. Got to work on the directional control .....

if anybody have idea of improving the control of hovercraft do let me know thanks

Last edited by loyn; 22-02-2012, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by loyn View Post
            This is the toy I am working on now, on sale for $39.9 not bad for the size and quality.

already replace the fan with ESC instead of the on off control, also on off control over the main fan. Got to work on the directional control .....

if anybody have idea of improving the control of hovercraft do let me know thanks
            Try building a vertical rudder behind the fan. That is how the American LCAC control the lateral control of the craft when traveling. There are a secondary control, which is the directional exhaust nozzle of the turbine at the mid-ship area, that allows the LCAC to turn left/right when stationary.. Hope this will help.
            Just because we grow up, doesn't mean we stop playing...in fact, the games just get better and the toys just get bigger...

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you!" - Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by loyn View Post

Got a similar toy as well. Would put it on my to-do-list then.

Yes, i agree with freeman to add in rudder. Simple and should works well.
              This toy only turn using thrust differences, very inefficient and inaccurate.
              Fly it like you never Fly before.

Comment

thanks for all your advice, but heavy work load and family time eat into the hobby time.

after much conceptual thinking, finally manage to come out something .... more like a prototype over the control mechanism. All using simple plastic part readily available.

Think that is the fun part of modelling

picture show WIP of the first prototype. More for conceptual check but once work will make a proper one with more fins for control of the air flow.

please keep your feedback and idea coming, as my build will be slow anyway

Comment

found this intresting hovercraft...
                  but can not run on water

I love PAP

Comment

Originally posted by hallobaby View Post
                    found this intresting hovercraft...
                    but can not run on water

http://www.rctoysuk.com/rtr-hsp-xstr...h94126-14.html
                    One of my friend do have this and it run like hovercraft except you can have "break" function. As the air to the ground is controlled by the same ESC signal as that of the forward motor. Hence every time you slow down it will also reduce the hovering capability and the body base will touch the ground to give you the breaking effect.

Comment

Slow in progress but finally it is done after much try and error on the directional control fin.

Learn that balancing of a hovercraft is critical as it affect the control characteristic significantly. If you are tail heavy, your control will not be effective as the force will push the craft side way instead of turn. Head heavy will cause the front to nail to the ground like a 2 wheel drive RC car in sand and issue running in straight line.

In order to get a good balance i have to add some nose weight. Hence I used more battery instead of dead weight. Power upgrade from 700mAh 9.6V to 3600mAh (1800 X2). Lucky the original battery compartment is large to take in the extra battery.

Following is some picture of the modification done.
                      1. tail cone and the control fin
                      2. Forward and backward control switch
                      3. Internal electronic
                      4. On trial

It is a fun project

Comment

Working...
                      X