Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting Revell's USS Saratoga to RC

My first attempt in converting a plastic kit to RC.

I'm using an old Revell 1/542 scale USS Saratoga CV60 carrier given to me by my brother in law. Model is 22 inches long 3 inches wide.

Drilled out the stern to accept the stuffing tube. Brass tube 3mm OD with a 2.5mm ID.

Some flanged brass bushings from a Tamiya Mini 4WD racer.
    It has a 2mm ID which readily accepts the steel drive shaft (a length of ribbing from a discarded umbrella)

Turns out that the outside diameter of the bushing is the same as those of the stuffing tube. Thought of annealing the end of the stuffing tube and flaring it out using a nail so it can accept the bushing.

Looking again in scrap box found some brass eyelets which fit inside the ends of the stuffing tube.

Unfortunately, the eyelet's internal diameter is a bit bigger than the drive shaft. This could pose as a potential entry point for water.
    Also the walls of the eyelet are rather thin. Not sure how long these will last.

About the drive motor, so as to keep the weight down instead of using the speed 280 motor and heavy 7.2V Nimh pack just might use a modified servo to power the prop (no need to go and buy a separate ESC) and just use a 4 AA pack.

Top cover of servo case and gear train removed.
    Used 2 nuts and screws to hold casing together.
    Motor shaft to the right. Pot to the left.

Will convert servo according to these conversion guides

Thank Pat Matthews for sharing the following post on servo hacks! Servos are wonderful little devices! Not only do they provide an inexpen...
    make it simple, make it strong, make it work!

Not many people convert plastic kit to RC, so I will be watching this build thread with interest. I like scale RC and now converting one too, a 1/200 ETV Waker. I am enjoying the detailing and building of this boat more than working on the RC part. Anyway, still trying out ways to get the motor drive to run 2 props.

Comment

Progress report

I've epoxied the stuffing tube into the hull using waterproof 2-part epoxy putty.
      Using a dive plane from a Trumpeter Kilo I did some rudder configuration test.

Should I go with a twin or single rudder?

The space aft is pretty limited due to a overhanging lower deck piece which limits the rudder post height to less than 1.5 cm. I can't move the rudder position forward due to the propeller.

Comment

All is not lost with limited head space for rudder. My ETV Waker has limited space too, but I will adopt the same setup like this from other modeller.

Comment

Updates

Went with a single rudder setup.

Bored out the hole for the rudder tube which I'll make like the stuffing tube.

Rudder is made from a stern plane from a 1/144 Kilo sub and a small bolt with the head cut off and sandwiched between the rudder halves.

Tiller arm is a piece of GRP secured with small nuts.

Comment

Made a longer tiller arm today.
            The rudder tube hasn't been glued in yet since i want to make sure that the tiller arm doesn't impinge on anything during operation.

Comment

Working...
            X