Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foam Filler as floatation device???

Anyone using foam filler as floatation for their boats??? I finally found a foam filler n purchased it. Tested a small amount to see the effects. It can definately float n does not absorb water.

Yet to try it on my boat, wana see if anyone else using it.

maybe can be use to fill some void space on plane to add strength, like in front.

can share where to get and how much.
    Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Thats used for filling gaps in car frames .. I think its slightly denser than usual styrofoams but would definitely float on water.
      I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Be careful or you might split your hull

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianli
          Anyone using foam filler as floatation for their boats??? I finally found a foam filler n purchased it. Tested a small amount to see the effects. It can definately float n does not absorb water.

Yet to try it on my boat, wana see if anyone else using it.
          My Magnum 57 uses it at the bow of the boat...but never tried sinking it yet

Comment

Where to buy this? It seems like fun.
            "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

For those interested, I purchased it from Home-fix @ S$12.90. I have been to their IMM n Lot 1 branch n they dont have it. Only found it at Causeway Point. There are only abt 5-6 cans left. Hurry for those interested, fastest finger 1st!!!

The foam is hard, not as hard as normal styroforms. It can be shaped easily with a pen knife. The expansion is not that much, abt 40% of the original size.

Will try it on my boat tonite.

Comment

Originally posted by blueangel
                Thats used for filling gaps in car frames .. I think its slightly denser than usual styrofoams but would definitely float on water.
                Construction / insulation foam is not the same as foam for racing cars.

Construction foam is for insulation and soundproofing. It is not very strong. It is not meant to add strength to the space that it fills up. But it works well to block air leaks and deaden noise.

"Racing" foam is for structural rigidity. It is meant to penetrate into your door sills and other dead spaces, where it expands and makes that space rigid.

Here is one person's experience:

Another product:

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon Slayer
                  My Magnum 57 uses it at the bow of the boat...but never tried sinking it yet
                  Thks for ur input. Will try it a little tonite.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank
                    Be careful or you might split your hull
                    If u want to try, let me know. I wont be able to finish the whole can also.

Comment

Thanks for the info
                      I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianli
                        If u want to try, let me know. I wont be able to finish the whole can also.
                        Thanks
                        We'll talk about it when we meet again

Comment

Oops, hull cracked.

I sprayed a bit at the front tip of the boat. Allow 1 hour for it to expand. No problem at all. Then sprayed more till fill up the whole front. Left it over nite, tis morning check, front tip cracks open. The curing n expanding time is more than 1 hour!!! Should have left the initial foam there over nite.

Tonite, boat going to drydock for epoxy patching.

Comment

sorry to hear that.

the expension is so strong that breaks the fibre glass hull!
                            Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Originally posted by VinCopter
                              sorry to hear that.

the expension is so strong that breaks the fibre glass hull!
                              It splits at the seams where the two half are joined. A little fibreglass cloth n epoxy should get her back in shape. It does not affect the boat performance at all, cos that part is out of the water. Just that water tight integrity is compromised.

Comment

Working...
                              X