Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make a self righting boat?

Need some advise from boat masters here. The question is, How to make a self righting boat?

The danger of capsizeing is real, but if the boat can self right, at least we can still sail away. Is there any thing we can do to an exsiting boat hull or anything that can be added?

I have thought of putting styrofoam on the inside of the hatch and when the the boat is upside down, the foam will want to float up and as such right the boat up.... can or not?

Any advise?

Thanks in advance.

Thought I search the Net for any info, found a few interesting hull designs whcih could be made in radio control boats.

Quoted from this link
    The Gougeon brothers here in Michigan built a boat that could do that. It was thirty two feet long and eight feet wide. The hulls weere ver slim and most of the accomodations were in a really cramped deck house. The mast had a float and adjustable shrouds. Since the mast was much taller than the boat was wide, the mast had to be canted only moderately to plop the thing back on its feet. I've actually see vidios of them doing this.

The boat was supposed to go into production, but I dont think it ever did. It was a thirty two foot week ender which was to retail at at least $50k. I wonder why it never caught on. But it was fast. Mainly because you could soop up water into the windward hull as ballast.

Calling this 'self righting', I think, is a real stretch. 'Self rescuing' may be a more appropriate term. 'Self righting', in my view, is when the boat can pull itself back upright, with or without the assistance of the waves that probably capsized it in the first place, with no effort at all by the crew. Just about all the boats that got into trouble in the imfamous '79 Fastnet race mannaged to do this (though some later sank). I do not believe it is possible to make a decent performing multi that can do this.

'Self rescuing', on the other hand, is, I believe, achievable with multi's with some careful effort in design. My definition for 'self rescuing' is that the boat, with dilligent efforts of the crew, can be brought back upright without outside help. That may be a more sensible goal.

Comment

Thanks. I read them and end up still blur. Anyhow will try out my own theory...: I will make a hatch that is very bouyant, maybe stuff it full of foam and should it capsize, the bouyant hatch will wana float back up and at the same time right the hull. But to do that the hatch must have enough bouyance or relatively tall / large. I looked at the reef racer, the cockpit is like half the boat height I believe it is this cockpit that right the boat up should it capsize.....

Comment

Originally posted by SG Villain
        Thanks. I read them and end up still blur. Anyhow will try out my own theory...: I will make a hatch that is very bouyant, maybe stuff it full of foam and should it capsize, the bouyant hatch will wana float back up and at the same time right the hull. But to do that the hatch must have enough bouyance or relatively tall / large. I looked at the reef racer, the cockpit is like half the boat height I believe it is this cockpit that right the boat up should it capsize.....
        Yup, you're right. A tall cockpit that has an air pocket is central to the Reef Racer's self righting capability. You'll also notice the hull's very narrow.
        For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

Not the correct way for a self righting hull. Flood chamber is what you need. looking at the boat from behind the left side of the boat will be reserved for the flood chamber and the right side for the battery packs. Flood chanber is nothing more than a tube that is hollow on one end. When there is no power on the throttle. i.e. boat upside down. The flood chamber floods with water making that side heavier than the other and the boat rotates to the left and sinks. This puts the prop in a position to power the hull out of the "hole" Very effective and easy to achieve. HOPF (MHZ) does this with lots of their hull as well as ToysPort. Here is Syncron with a flood chamber. My Friend has the larger brother to this hull, the Triton, and he launches his boat upside down just to be funny.

Comment

Originally posted by lferguson79
            Not the correct way for a self righting hull. Flood chamber is what you need. looking at the boat from behind the left side of the boat will be reserved for the flood chamber and the right side for the battery packs. Flood chanber is nothing more than a tube that is hollow on one end. When there is no power on the throttle. i.e. boat upside down. The flood chamber floods with water making that side heavier than the other and the boat rotates to the left and sinks. This puts the prop in a position to power the hull out of the "hole" Very effective and easy to achieve. HOPF (MHZ) does this with lots of their hull as well as ToysPort. Here is Syncron with a flood chamber. My Friend has the larger brother to this hull, the Triton, and he launches his boat upside down just to be funny.
            OIC, so that's what that gaping hole on the Triton is for So does that mean the Triton and Syncron hulls do not need to upright themselves, but simply sink low enough on their sides to enable the prop to power the boat back to shore? Very clever... means the boat can still be low profile with a wide beam.

Thanks for the explanation... learned something new today
            If in doubt - add more horsepower!

Comment

The do upright them selfs. The are able to sink low enough to let the prop catch and then it flips back over. Here look at this. This is a Syncron but it can been vertualy any hull you do this too. It is the one flying through the air and then it lands upside down. Chaeck it out.

Comment

Originally posted by lferguson79
                Cool

Comment

Anyone wants a Syncron or Triton is Sg let me know. Have a few pcs each in stock for now.

Comment

I'll be interested in one of these "hard to find in stock" hulls!! e-mail lferguson@serenityracingrc.com

Comment

Working...
                    X