Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IOM yacth

Hi:

I am hoping to build a 'Box Kite' 1 M yacth from construction plan purchased from Marine Modelling magazine. Anyone can tell me where to purchased 1.5mm thick plywood for skining the hull.

NTC, Fook Hai Building

Comment

Originally posted by Curare
      NTC, Fook Hai Building
      Thanks for the info, but the plywood I am looking for must be 48" in length.

Comment

Dear Zhustar,
        The best ply would be marine ply avaliable at NTC. If you cannot get the length you need, then you will need to re-think the deck planking so that you can join the pieces over a doubler or a bulkhead. I have an IOM for sale by the way. Race ready complete with mylar BG sails from Australia. Selling cheap.
        Cheers!
        Planes: Cap21, Northrop F5E, MK Kingbird, MK Curare, Elster, Jazz60, SouthernX, Zoom 4D

Comment

Originally posted by Blackite207
          Dear Zhustar,
          The best ply would be marine ply avaliable at NTC. If you cannot get the length you need, then you will need to re-think the deck planking so that you can join the pieces over a doubler or a bulkhead. I have an IOM for sale by the way. Race ready complete with mylar BG sails from Australia. Selling cheap.
          Cheers!
          Thanks the problem is not in the deck but in planking the hull which is in panels form. Also I have already started on the construction of the yacht so I may not so keen in buying still will appreciates if you can provide the necessary details.

By the way any idea where I can purchase mylar materials to fabricates my sail?

Comment

Planking with plywood? Going to be tough forming the curves. Why not plank with balsa then glass the hull. It will be lighter and tougher. Remember that after planking with ply, you still need to waterproof it.
            The mylar avaliable at printing shops are too thick and will be heavy. You will need 35 or 50 micron thickness for sails. I suggest using ripstock. You can buy it at rotor. Many colours to choose from.
            I made my sails from mylar which I got from a fellow sailor which was the thick type. It was ok but the ripstock had better performance. By the way...sails are not flat. they are made in pannels which are curved.
            look at the following site:-

All you need to know about the IOM.
            Good luck
            Planes: Cap21, Northrop F5E, MK Kingbird, MK Curare, Elster, Jazz60, SouthernX, Zoom 4D

Comment

Planking with plywood? Going to be tough forming the curves. Why not plank with balsa then glass the hull. It will be lighter and tougher. Remember that after planking with ply, you still need to waterproof it.
              The mylar avaliable at printing shops are too thick and will be heavy. You will need 35 or 50 micron thickness for sails. I suggest using ripstock. You can buy it at rotor. Many colours to choose from.
              I made my sails from mylar which I got from a fellow sailor which was the thick type. It was ok but the ripstock had better performance. By the way...sails are not flat. they are made in pannels which are curved.
              look at the following site:-

All you need to know about the IOM.
              Good luck
              Again thank you for your info, I was actually tempting to order the sail from Sail etc in UK with mast etc, but will now look into buying the materials from Rotor. As for planking of the hull, the original specification says to use 1.5mm thick ply, was thinking to use it to gain experience. As for using balsa wood for planking I have actually completed a hull with balsa planking named 'Minium' yacht based on a free plan provided by MMI. Work has stopped cos I need to purchased the various mast and boom materials. Is these materials available locally?

Comment

Well it depends on what you want to use. I heavly modified a Voyager with carbon fiber mast and booms which I bought from various hobby stores. With my IOM, I needed very light booms so I used aerofoil shaped Al struts that I found at NTC. Worked very well. You can get 10mm Al tubing but it is heavy. I would use carbon fiber instead. The gooseneck was made from racing car parts and pushrods. Rigging line was braded fishing line. Sails Mylar (3 panels) Here is a Picture of the finished boat.

As you can see I increased the sail height from 1.4m to 1.6m. She was very fast but winds in excess of 5 knots was a no-no!(sails overpowered).
                If you want original IOM rigging then I am sorry to say that you need to import it as no shop stocks them in Singapore. For my new IOM boat, I got everything except sails from Sailsetc. The sails from BG radio (aussie maker). A word of caution....They are not cheap. Sails alone will cost you over $200.

Comment

Well it depends on what you want to use. I heavly modified a Voyager with carbon fiber mast and booms which I bought from various hobby stores. With my IOM, I needed very light booms so I used aerofoil shaped Al struts that I found at NTC. Worked very well. You can get 10mm Al tubing but it is heavy. I would use carbon fiber instead. The gooseneck was made from racing car parts and pushrods. Rigging line was braded fishing line. Sails Mylar (3 panels) Here is a Picture of the finished boat.

As you can see I increased the sail height from 1.4m to 1.6m. She was very fast but winds in excess of 5 knots was a no-no!(sails overpowered).
                  If you want original IOM rigging then I am sorry to say that you need to import it as no shop stocks them in Singapore. For my new IOM boat, I got everything except sails from Sailsetc. The sails from BG radio (aussie maker). A word of caution....They are not cheap. Sails alone will cost you over $200.
                  Thanks for advising to use aluminium aerofoil strut as mast. I will certainly use this materials as advise on my half completed planked round hull yacht as shown below.

Comment

Another upright view of the completed yacht.

Comment

Working...
                    X