Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Depron. Guidance needed.

Hello all...
    I've some questions regarding the fabrication of my frame with the depron.
    I've the plans (printed to size already) but I don't know how to continue..

From some threads here, i found out that penknife will do so i am going to get a good penknife and setup a glass top table so that I can cut my depron on them.

1) Where can i get the things i need? Like UHU POR and a hotwire cutter if u guys think i shoud do so. Whatelse do i need? i don't have a tight budget as my proj is sponsored by school.

2) How do I mark out on the surface of depron the area I wanna cut, do i just have to redraw the design onto the depron or do i just attach the printed design onto the depron and cut over the design? Is there some other way?

3) Finally, how can i fix the shape of my frame? My design is a flying wing design so there'll be a dihedral. How can i fix the dihedral angle of the depron?

Thanks all in advance. Help me out.

1) You need good pen knife, replace your blade offen to keep the cutting edge. Use those 30 degree blade instead of 45 degree. It is available in most bookstore.

2) You dont need hot wire cutter as 3mm is too thin for hot wire.

3) Most material glue is available in Artfrxxxds....you know wht I means. Get those are foam safe.

4) Print and cut out the plan and glue them to thick paper and cut them out for templete so you can trace onto the depron surface with fine marker type pen. Again available in bookstores.

5) You can use balsa wood as reinforce in wing and cut them to required dihedral. Other wise use carbon rod and alu tube to bent to required dihedral before attach it to your wing

Comment

Originally posted by loyn
      4) Print and cut out the plan and glue them to thick paper and cut them out for templete so you can trace onto the depron surface with fine marker type pen. Again available in bookstores.
      If you are just building 1 plane, you can spray 3M77 adhesive LIGHTLY onto the foam and stick you cutouts directly to the foam. Use the penknife to cut them out. 3M77 is available from most bookshop or Artfxxxxd.

Comment

how much does the 3M77 adhesive cost? n how much inside?

Comment

It costs around $14.

Buy once, use for years.

Comment

The 3M stuff is good especially for large surface area but make sure you give it time to dry and put lots of newspaper when you use it......very sticky .....also can use for other craft work

Comment

how long does it take to dry?

Comment

Originally posted by loyn
                5) You can use balsa wood as reinforce in wing and cut them to required dihedral. Other wise use carbon rod and alu tube to bent to required dihedral before attach it to your wing
                Carbon rod around the contour of the frame or jus along the dihedral?

Comment

Originally posted by West Black
                  how long does it take to dry?
                  5 to 10 mins and the surfaces would be sticky. That's the right time to mate both surfaces together.

Comment

Originally posted by Planeboy
                    Carbon rod around the contour of the frame or jus along the dihedral?
                    Alu rod to get the dihedral and carbon rod at the leading and trailing edges.

Comment

where to get alu and carbon rods?

Comment

Originally posted by Planeboy
                        where to get alu and carbon rods?
                        Jhobby for carbon rod.....artfrXXXd or NTC for alu tube

Comment

Working...
                        X