Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharing my experience on Bix3 (Bixler 3) - a way of contributing back to the community

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing my experience on Bix3 (Bixler 3) - a way of contributing back to the community

Hi gents,
    Been flying this great plane for a while now, crashed umpteen times, broken several parts (but in big chunks), glued back with UHU por glue and up it went as good as new. Must say, my first plane is also the best and fun plane. I just flew it last weekend for the final last time, intending to decommission it very soon after my skywalker 1900 arrives next week. Against the backdrop of the blue blue sky, it flew leisurely around the large field around 5 stories high, with a huge eagle chasing it playfully. Purely amazing and magical. You gotta see to believe.

I'm compartmentalising the below sections into several parts, each with my own observations and learning, for easy reference and editing.

Battery:
    I've tried both 3s and 4s (The stock ESC can take up to 4s) lipos. Lipo includes turnigy 2200mah 3s, blackmagic 2700mah 3s, and turnigy 2200mah 4s. All works and fits well in the fuselage. My experience is for more acrobatic manoeuvres, using a 4s lipo. Ensure the battery is held securely - you'll never know it will fall out of the sky as you turn the plane over (happened to me once). 4s gives more weight to the plane and I feel more control for landing.

CG:
    Use the recommended CG location as provided by the manual, probably around 1/3 from the leading edge. It works very well for me, and the plane could handle a slight tail heavy setup, which i experienced before but was never my intention. At least it didn't flew just once..

Throttle management and taking off:
    I do not have the luxury of taking it off from my flying field. Since day 1, I had the landing gear removed, therefore saving some weight on the plane. (by the way this caused it to be tail heavy as well).
    For 3s, all I did was aim it at the wind, give it a 70% throttle, and gently toss it about 20 degree upwards. The stock motor and prop have enough power to lift it up almost immediately. Once stabalised (for me about 2-4 seconds later), i usually reduce the throttle to about 40%. I seldom exceed 50% for this plane since my purpose was to have stress-free flight time.
    For 4s, I gave it a 40% throttle before tossing it into the wind. I do recommend tossing it slightly higher with more throttle if using 4s due to the additional weight of the plane, which will give the plane more room to head downwards picking up enough speed to cruise. I like to keep a slight up trim (elevator up) if using 4s, and adjust accordingly when needed while cruising.

Air brake:
    I added 2 servos for flaps. Flaps works great against strong winds, and in fact, a few times the plane behaved like a heli during slightly strong wind, hovering in the air with throttle completely off. This also means the plane can be very affected by strong winds, being tossed around easily like a rag doll because it's relatively light weight. Anyway, my mod was for ailerons to be in different channels, such that they can behaved as flaperons. As the plane is coming in too hot to land, a flick of the switch will bring down the flaps (pointing downwards), and both ailerons up (pointing upwards). This caused heavy drags on the wings, cancelling each up and down directions out, and increased fiction on the wind, causing to slow down very drastically (depending on your angle of attack). For mine, a mere 2 seconds of airbrake will cause the plane to almost stall.. Depending on the behaviour, you may wish to mix in elevator inputs.

Landing:
    Approaching landing is the most tricky part of this plane, but also the most fun part. I enjoyed the most while practising how to land the plane with longest skid along the grass. The longer it is, the less impact against the under fuselage. But because this plane is so light, usually the skidding won't exceed 3 meter under normal landing circumstances. Always determine where the wind direction is, and land it against the wind. As with most planes, I usually do a big turn, about 50m before making a final turn towards landing ground. Just right before this last turn, I will reduce throttle to 0% - 10%, depending on speed. The height I like is usually around 8m before throttle is off.
    If the speed is too slow, I will first do a slight pitch down to increase the speed by gravity. This actually gives me more control on the landing speed. I need the speed to either maintain or reduce slowly. There are many instances where even though there's strong cross wind, by pitching down the plane gives good and stable landing. Pitch I like is usually about 10 degree, and the elevator is moving down, neutral, down, neutral etc for adjustments.

Let me think of something else to share once inspirations arrive.

Cheers

Good review! This is also ideal for FPV. Quite a versatile performer. Recommended for those who is new to flying.. or for expert as well!

Comment

Absolutely true that this plane is for FPV. This is actually the next topic I wish to contribute about Bix3.

FPV platform:
      For this plane, I've bought SJ4000, a 5.8ghz tx rx, cloverleaf antennas, 7" screen mounted on my controller, and watch the plane fly on my controller as if i'm actually flying it on board. The experience was exceptional. You could actually be more agile, at the same time, have a better feel on the performance of the plane in terms of stalling speed, fast and slow speed, and fly much further as far as your 5.8ghz can take you to. I mounted the tx towards the end of the fuselage, and it was powered by a separate 900mah 3s lipo. The additional weight (including the balsa wooden FPV platform) do not pose additional and significant issues. The stock setup can easily handle them, though don't expect too much of acrobatic manoeuvres.
      One thing I've learnt is that once the signal of the FPV screen is getting weak, TURN BACK. I made a mistake for not doing that since the distance was not far (maybe 400m?), but the interference was actually coming from that building, not entire due to the distance. Had flew the other side and was getting more than 800m without any significant distortion.
      At that point of losing the FPV video, I was actually flying blind. Couldn't spot my plane, and not knowing where I was. Thank goodness that when it finally nose dived with full throttle, nobody was at that part of the field.
      3 recommendations which you can take on from this lesson.
      1) Turn back immediately once the signal gets weaker, and prominent distortion from the screen,
      2) Get a higher mw tx. Mine was 200mw, which wasn't that strong to give proper distance. Trust me, once you got it in the air, all you want to do is to push it to it's limit to test it,
      3) Get a high gain panel antenna. I haven't really try using this method, since it involves pointing the antenna at the plane all the time (within specific angle range). Am thinking how to automate this instead.
      My camera was mounted right on top of the FPV platform. Whole thing is just an experiment for me initially before actually setting it up properly. However when I know it was working, I didn't had the chance to evolve it to something much more stable. When my skywalker 1900 comes, things will be different.

See below for the crash, and hopefully this doesn't happen to you. The feeling of walking towards the plane, picking up the remaining, trying to ensure everything was picked up, walking away with pieces and washing the mud from them at home, piecing them together is just awful. Granted, you gain experience from repairing the plane. But try to minimize such experience - I'd rather work on flying it properly with great enjoyment before returning home in one piece.
      Enjoy!

Comment

Well.. Am just afraid using 600mW near those buildings, you might interfere with the residents as well.. am not a radio expert so don't quote me on this.. Though I will be using 600mW as well... but in open areas only.. How did youfind the plane?

Comment

Hi purple,
          as I was only about 200m away from it, I walked towards where I last saw it from the fpv screen , and asked those blanglah who were playing cricket nearby where my plane was. They were friendly enough to directly me to it. At that point , thank goodness I didn't hit any of them!

Comment

Working...
          X