Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new Dash-8

Just less than a week since I lost the old one, I'm already missing it. I'd already cleared up the table and now starting on the new one. These are what I've been cutting for the last few days. Now, I have enough parts to start off the fuselage construction.

Hi Master Yap,

May I know how you cut those Balsa?

Thanks!

Comment

Excellent RC builder/flyer spiritualism you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Wish
        Hi Master Yap,

May I know how you cut those Balsa?

Thanks!
        The outer diameter of the round formers are cut using penknife and steel ruler as guide. Instead of cutting curves, I cut multiple facets until the rough round shape is formed. Sanding block gives the final smooth curves. The lightening holes are bore out from a round brass tube with one end sharpened. Each formers are cut from 2 lamination of balsa sheet with cross grain. This makes them stiff.

Comment

Like i have said, He is the GOD at scratch building!

Thanx!
          SLOPE SOARING NOT A CRIME

The irresistible desire, for the irresistibly desired

Multiplex Royal Evo 12 user, and Proud of it.

Comment

er...joe.....since you are at it....

can you build me one too!!!

Comment

Joe Yap .. Hope to see it flying soon it was really sad that you crashed .. my heart pain to see it though it wasnt my plane

nice build up for starting it slow.. i cant wait for the final product again

Which character are you test by

Comment

Originally posted by muah
                er...joe.....since you are at it....

can you build me one too!!!
                Err...... What talking you! When are you going to fly you Dash-7?

Comment

Got the bird cage partially done. I'll continue for the tail section tomorrow. I'm tired out and my fingers got some blisters from all those boring and cutting.

Comment

dash 7 is for my grandkid....so have to wait =)

once more looking good.....sometimes, i prefer planes that are not covered...balsa is so beautiful......

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap
                      The outer diameter of the round formers are cut using penknife and steel ruler as guide. Instead of cutting curves, I cut multiple facets until the rough round shape is formed. Sanding block gives the final smooth curves. The lightening holes are bore out from a round brass tube with one end sharpened. Each formers are cut from 2 lamination of balsa sheet with cross grain. This makes them stiff.
                      Whooaaa.... I raise both my palms in salute to the RC spirit and the patience you have...

Comment

Like the proverbial Phoenix rising from the ashes, I'm sure the new Dash will be even better than the first. Your are the scratch build King. Keep it up.
                        To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Thanks.

This is a little different from the previous one. Instead of building seperately, I built these 2 sections with a comman keel beam. As you can see from the picture, I made a jig to produce the tail bottom profile. Even with this jig, I still incorporate an intercostal over the keel beam to keep in shape. There goes the same for the spine. Without them, there'll be a chance that entire tail section will spring back and distort the whole structure.

Comment

In the previous shot, you can see a fin support fitting installed. It serves as a fitting to align and support the vertical fin carbon spar. It's cut out from 1/4" balsa sheet.

Comment

With all longerons and stringers in place, the whole bird cage is completed.

Comment

Working...
                              X