Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formosa first build/tips

Hello people, i'll be getting a formosa soon, 2nd though, but intend to break it up and rebuilt and re-enforce the plane. Can anybody with the experience tell me which of these are neccessary or would like to add more pointers to it ?

1) Glassing the formosa. I've read the glassing thread, and it seems that glassing the plane will strength it and give a smoother flight at high speeds. Is this neccessary ?

2) Read on RR that you should have individual servos for the alieron, making 4 servos for the formosa. Is this needed ? I'm also aware that with individual servos, you can use 'flaps', which is suppose to be better for landing ?

3) Carbon fibre rods are used instead of the stock ones they give. Any other things i should change other then this ?

4) What motor should I be using ? I'm intending to use a AXI 2212/26, can this be used as a direct drive or I still need gearbox. Some people in the RR used the HIMAX 2025/4200 with some gearing, which is more preferred ? I'm planning to use a 33A esc or is a 25 AMPS one good enough ? Lipos intended is either the etecs 1700 or the 1900. Or is the 1250 good enough ? Btw, 3S1P

5) Any other things I should take note or you experienced formosians have some tips to share ? I'm aware that the front of the formosa tends to break easily, is there a way to protect it like ... making a plastic mould for it ?

Hello people, i'll be getting a formosa soon, 2nd though, but intend to break it up and rebuilt and re-enforce the plane. Can anybody with the experience tell me which of these are neccessary or would like to add more pointers to it ?

1) Glassing the formosa. I've read the glassing thread, and it seems that glassing the plane will strength it and give a smoother flight at high speeds. Is this neccessary ?

not necessary unless you feel that you are going to land heavy all the time.

2) Read on RR that you should have individual servos for the alieron, making 4 servos for the formosa. Is this needed ? I'm also aware that with individual servos, you can use 'flaps', which is suppose to be better for landing ?

not required, this plane floats very well already... no flaps required.

3) Carbon fibre rods are used instead of the stock ones they give. Any other things i should change other then this ?

yes rods are good idea... also put the rods down the length of the fuse. the tail area is weak like the estarter.

4) What motor should I be using ? I'm intending to use a AXI 2212/26, can this be used as a direct drive or I still need gearbox. Some people in the RR used the HIMAX 2025/4200 with some gearing, which is more preferred ? I'm planning to use a 33A esc or is a 25 AMPS one good enough ? Lipos intended is either the etecs 1700 or the 1900. Or is the 1250 good enough ? Btw, 3S1P

AXI 2212/26 is an outrunner motor. you cant put it into a gear reduced box.
    use a 9x7.5 and you will be drawing about 12amps max static with 3s. flies with lots of authority.
    at 12 amps, you only need a 25amp ESC .. lots of headroom. very good setup

as for the himax 2025/4200, you will be drawing about 16amps static with a 3s and 9x7.5 prop. not so good. setup.

the 1250 is alittle low, go for the 1700 minimum. also remember to shave off some foam on the top of the battery area and test fit your battery before sticking the fuse.

good luck!

5) Any other things I should take note or you experienced formosians have some tips to share ? I'm aware that the front of the formosa tends to break easily, is there a way to protect it like ... making a plastic mould for it ?

Cut the ailerons through to the end, if you cut the tip according to instructions, it will break off if you tip your wing during landing.
    i am not sure why you say the front of the formosa is weak ... it is as strong as any of the other GWS planes, definately stronger then the GWS warbirds.

Comment

Hey kennyc, thanks for the tips. But maybe just for experience, i'll like to glass my first formosa Anyways, how do you people paint it ? Use spray or a paint brush and slowly colour onto it ?

I've decided on my setup:
      Etecs 1700
      HIMAX 2025 4200 / 1:6 gearing Which gearbox is best for it ?
      ESC: Quark 33A ( for future use on other planes etc )
      Servos: Probably RCFlipmaster's or HS55, 3 first

Where do you people buy the SG version ? Only at the motor shop ?

Comment

Originally posted by genexis
        Hey kennyc, thanks for the tips. But maybe just for experience, i'll like to glass my first formosa Anyways, how do you people paint it ? Use spray or a paint brush and slowly colour onto it ?

Etecs 1700

Hi genexis,

That's a great setup, but you definitely have to remove some foam from the battery compartment. Do so before you join the fuselages. Not sure if the battery bay can accomodate the size of a Etec 1700 with all the foam removed, though.

To apply paint onto a foamie, just spray it on with foam-safe paint.

You can buy the SG version from Pips, motor shop, maybe Rotor.

One last thing: Try to get an outrunner ASAP. The Himax 2025 is one motor that I really disliked for one reason: GEARBOX. Especially the pinion gear, it always wears out when I least want it to. Turn off the brake in your ESC's setting and try the softest start you can get.

Comment

ucks, you mean the 1700 cannot fit into the formosa ?

Comment

Cant comment much on famosa as I do not own one. On my spitfire, I "dug" foam till it can accomodate my 3S1P 1200 pack and leave it as it is.

Got about 30-40 flights then came the disaster ...... was flying w Loyn and landed sui sui on mud ground. Guess wat? the entire nose portion crack and break loose from the fuselauge

I think the 1700mah could be a little too big ..... maybe 1500mah ?

Outrunner!

Happy sourcing..... motor shop sg version $45

Let me know and we go shopping.

Mike

Comment

I think loyn is looking for bulk order for the famosa. Maybe you want to PM him??

Comment

ucks, you mean the 1700 cannot fit into the formosa ?
                you will need to gorge out some foam to fit the etec, the little area that it is orinally designed is too small, test fit the battery before gluing the fuse together, then cut out what ever extra you need to, on both sides of the fuse.

Comment

Etecs 1700

If you are glassing, you will not need foam safe paint anymore . but watch the weight, glassing is heavy and painting over the glass makes it heavier.
                  i would advice you try the 4200 with the C gear(5.33:1) and use a 9x7 SF prop.

Comment

Originally posted by csisfun
                    Hi genexis,

One last thing: Try to get an outrunner ASAP. The Himax 2025 is one motor that I really disliked for one reason: GEARBOX. Especially the pinion gear, it always wears out when I least want it to. Turn off the brake in your ESC's setting and try the softest start you can get.
                    well, you cant have the best of both worlds.
                    with the gear, you can play around with the prop size etc.

Comment

Looks like i should skip the glassing then ... But i should still sand the foam first ?

Comment

Formosa first build/tips

Hi genexis,
                        I agree with HZM, Out runner is the way to Go1

I have been flying one for about 6 months - everything is 'standard'- straight out of the box' and here is the Power System - it can go vertical and do torque rolls with no problems at all.

1. Motor - Himax 2812-850 turnign an APC 9 x 3.8 prop at 7500 rpm- current draw is 10A.

2. ESC is a Caslte Creations -PH 25 - motor timing set the 'high advance'

If you want to 'toughen' the front end, round a round 2" transparent "scotch' tape in the fuselage between the canopy and the motor cowling.

You will have alot of fun with it

Comment

Yepp, i'm aware outrunner is better for the formosa, but maybe next time I want to change a plane, and it heard that the out runner is not as versatile.

Comment

Working...
                          X