Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing my UM Spitfire

Hiya guys. so here's what happened: i started this hobby not long ago and i (unwisely) decided to start on this path with the ultra micro spitfire from parkzone. Needless to say, there were many crashes but fortunately, i love repairing stuff so now my plane is outfitted with some of the most "mcguyver-ish" repairs you'll probably see anywhere. However i experienced a crash which i am now unsure of how to fix.

in my most recent crash, i was "showing off" how "in-control" i was of the plane when i realised that the plane drifted over a footpath near my flying field. there was someone on the foot path at that time and so i panicked and send the plane hurtling towards the earth at full throttle, smashing prop first into the ground. Fortunately the spinner protected the gearbox from total destruction but i've also nearly

1)torn off the right wing
    2)dislodged the engine and
    3) snapped the propeller off the shaft

Previously i had cracked open the fuselage and i had filled the gap using some PVA glue which seemed to hold it well but took damn long to dry. i tried the same with the wing however the wing seemed too thin for that method to be useful so i decided to just tape over it with regular scotch tape. Is this advisable? with it affect seriously, the flight characteristics of that wing?

The crash also seemed to have dislodged the motor-gearbox housing from the fuselage as it is now jsut shifting around inside the nose cowling. closer inspection revealed that the foam attachment points had be detached(zing!). It doesn't seem to really affect the plane's ability to fly (i said seemed because i didnt really dare try it out with all the damage it sustained) however i dont feel comfortable with it being able to move around. so i tried to glue it down with copious amounts of PVA. but alas it didnt dry and so the motor is still loose. what other options do i have to secure the motor?

lastly i've tried to (unwisely again) glue the propeller back onto the drive shaft using super glue and i realised that propeller is now not alighted. worse still, it is not stuck at that weird angle with no way of getting it loose.

therefore i've decided to just simply replace the drive shaft with a new one however i can't seem to figure out how does one remove the old drive shaft from the casing And on replacing the propeller, i've decided to replace the original 4 bladed 100x100 prop with the mustang 130x70 2 bladed prop. is that advisable? [(130x130x80)-100^3=183000 mm^3 or 15% greater load)

Any Shifu's, gor gors or jie jies can help??

Fixing and repairing is part and parcel of RC flying

You should use CA glue ( foam safe besto ) . Choose those 5 mins type . For me being impatiance , I would apply CA Kicker for immediate bonding ( but u would need 2 person , one to hold and the other to spray ). But remember , once Kicker is applied , it's permanent .

As for your motor , best buy new motor . Any change in shaft degree changes it's flight path , when the prop kicks in , it will either torque right or left depending where your prop is facing ( or up or down ). I have to adjust about +/- 5 degrees right on my folkwolf plane as it continues to steer left after takeoff and straight line flight .

Anyhow , you can try J3 piper planes if all repairs fails . They can be fun plane to fly and easy on controls and orientation

Happy flying

Comment

Ive got a UMX mustang ready for the garbage bin. PM me if you want to salvage anything, motor, linear servos, gear, etc
      Hanger
      Hirobo XRB SR Lama
      Hirobo Quark SRB
      Hirobo Quark SRB SG
      Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
      Blade450 3D
      MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
      COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
      Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
      FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
      Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
      HK FLYJET EDF
      Artech Skyfun
      Dynam P51D Mustang
      Parkzone P51

Tx:
      Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
      Spektrum DX6i
      DX8
      Futaba 9CAP

Comment

hi I am keen to get the whole plane. I assume you're not charging a high price for it? Is it able to be fixed or totally thrashed? love the mustangs man...

Comment

Originally posted by elmosan View Post
          Ive got a UMX mustang ready for the garbage bin. PM me if you want to salvage anything, motor, linear servos, gear, etc
          What happened to your Mustang?

Comment

Working...
          X