Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap way to build balsa foam core wing

Found a old balsa wing in the store....real old almost 7yrs old when I still a member of BBFC... ....most of the covering is gone with some ribs damage not much use .....the fuselage was missing too.... Then again love the small size of it ....about 24"

So this is best for test out another possible building technique....which I always wanted to try.... a balso foam combo wing ....just like those ARF plane sell by mack

To start off I cut out all "excess" ribs and balsa covering from the wing....which just left with a frame structure. Follow by putting in blocks of cheap poly foam to fill up all the "holes". The foam block was cut slightly over size so help to stay in position. Once all are in position, I use a NT cutter to shape all the foam to the wing profile and finally sand to smoothness. A pc of sq hard wood was put at the center for reinforcement and servo mounting......When everything is in shape I drop in some thin foam safe CD to hold everything down in position....wa la a balsa foam core wing has been formed

Last edited by loyn; 18-08-2005, 07:11 AM.

Once the "filling" part is done, I wrap around the wing with fiber tape for extra strength

Comment

Finally to protect the wing structure and foam core, I put on coloured packaging tape....$1.5 each.....very handy for this type of project

Once you are happy with the "covering" check for air bubble remove them with a pin or NT cutter.

There you go a balsa foam core wing ready for next project.... ....just need to add in aileron accordingly...

Plan to build a small low wing sport flyer with this foam core wing

Comment

Originally posted by loyn
        Finally to protect the wing structure and foam core, I put on coloured packaging tape....$1.5 each.....very handy for this type of project

Once you are happy with the "covering" check for air bubble remove them with a pin or NT cutter.

There you go a balsa foam core wing ready for next project.... ....just need to add in aileron accordingly...

Plan to build a small low wing sport flyer with this foam core wing
        i think its going to be the best of both worlds.. hope to see ur final product
        good job

Comment

Working...
        X